1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 701 or seleco 400ht

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by patt, Feb 28, 2005.

1. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HI just would like to know which of these is the better projector Barco 701 or seleco 400ht i am happy with my 701 but have been offered a 400ht so some help would be good thanks

2. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  3. PsychoDogBeast

PsychoDogBeast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi there

I have a 701, which i installed last weekend, i am very very happy with the image it displays @ 1280 x 720 @48/50hz via HTPC, i have had a data 808, couple of ECPs and a sony 1031 previous and god forbid Seleco 150 & 350 bonused for free.

My experience so far is the proffesional projectors, aka Barco, Electrohome and sonys were built to last and the Selecos i have meddled with were poorly cunstructed budget units (sorry if this offends anyone), from memory the Seleco 400 is built in the same case as the 350, scans to 50khz has sony 07ms tubes and was about £6500 new including line doubler. Bit different to the Barcos £11k

Which 701 have you got the early one with the sony tubes or the later brighter one with the toshiba tubes, either/or, if your projector is in good nick with good tubes, leave the seleco for somebody else to take risk at, the deciding factor to me would be if the seleco broke down who would fix, supply spares for it......

Best regards

James

4. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    PsychoDogBeast thanks for that i have the 701 with sony tubes 2000 hours on it and all tube are good i am happy but do find that bright films have a sort of hazes on them but dark films are very good do you think i should use something better than my iscan pro

5. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think the Seleco 400 scans to 30khz. What it's got going for it is WAF, it's about as pretty as a crt pj could possibly be. The inbuilt line-doubler is worth having too, it's not the best doubler in the world - It's easily bettered by an upgrade to something like an Iscan Pro, but if you're just looking for a good pj to connect to a McRegular DVD player and Freeview box, the 400 is great.

What you really need is a NEC 9PG, that scans to 93khz as opposed to the 701's 50khz, has electromagnetic focus, and a point convergence board too. Now, if only you could find somebody not a million miles from Huntingdon who could be persuaded to sell you his. ;)

Andy

6. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Andyfov is correct,

The 701 has higher bandwidth and also the big advantage of hybrid lenses,there are as andy pointed out many other contributing factors.
    BTW guy's I notice you are almost locals (I'm at norwich) just mentioned on another thread about possibly having a dem day at my place sometime,anyone vaguely interested?

james (crt)

7. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, I'd love to have a ride over to take a squint... Just to see what a really good CRT is capable of. I'll bring the biscuits.

Andy

8. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Andy, you are most welcome,(would those be chocolate biscuits?) I am currently awaiting the return of three brand new tubes from VDC,I sold my 9501 just before xmas with a view to raising money for a brand new ultra.
    I then decided I simply couldn't justify/afford it,but just as I was getting down in the mouth from missing it badly, another unit reared its head,original shipping box manuals etc.
    Tubes are nearly ready in florida so,unless you wan't to view my "loaner unit" 808s with 11.750 hours on it in the mean time (it looks far better than most would believe) then I will arrange it with you,and anyone else interested and keep you posted.

james (crt)

9. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd love to join you guys, Just as Andy says, 'to see how good CRT can be'.
    Any ideas of dates/days?

Glenn

10. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Glenn, Great,glad you are interested in coming along,even if oyu guy's are not impressed with what you see,then at least a few of us get to meet up with each other.
    Gizlaroc lives close by and Rob from norwich is even closer,thunder would like to come so the event 0.5 gathers pace.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that the tubes will be heading back to the UK sometime late next week, I'm guessing we will be looking at two or three weeks time,I will keep everyone informed.

james (crt)

11. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds like a fun day out! Count me in! Watch out for the geek squad!!!!

12. Nickyrboy

Nickyrboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds Like a awesome oppurtunity to see a Crt pj properly setup, I have a sony 1040QM setup by myself a novice (and very happy with the results). So it would be good to see the difference when setup properly. Count me in.

13. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes me 2 love to see a good crt

14. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nice one guy's, you know i feel like yul brynner from one of my old favourites the magnificent seven,each time we are joined by another i hold up my fingers (ah classic stuff)mind you without the usual faces,we already number seven,oh well maybe we should be the crt bandits and number 40 instead?
    Geeks not a problem,all comb overs welcome a free crt spotters guide will be handed out at the door.

james (crt)

15. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I seriously thought you were referring to your hair. My apologies :D

16. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Godfather, "lets see how fast you can clap your hands" :)

james (crt)