Barco 701 - can't get "good" focus on blue

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vexorg, Sep 1, 2004.

1. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a Barco 701s while I am between digital projectors, after doing a lot of reading and with a considerable amount of help and enthusiam from a fellow forum member TheRitz we have it showing a pretty good image from my pc.

However the blue lens, just cannot focus as sharply as the green and red lens.

Any suggestions as to the problem or solution?

The projector is in fairly good condition, very clean inside, a few small scratchs on the lens, all the functions and menus work well and the menu shows some 3320 hours use.

I have to admit to taking great pleasure from going through the service and installation menus and only hope that this is just scratching the surface of the tweakability of the machine.

Heres hoping that the blue lens focus is something small!....

thx.

Vex.

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I'm sure Roland will chip in but...

To get proper colour balance, the blue needs a little help.
    The blue tube needs to be slightly out of focus, to excite more of the tube face.
    This slightly larger beam, makes the blue slightly brighter etc.

From normal viewing distances, this slight mis-focus is not detectable due to the eyes weakness of focussing on the colour blue. ;)

3. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fulabeer

I have read that the blue tends to be out of focus on purpose, this seems to be more than slight defocus, when focusing using the internal patterns it is difficult to see the gaps between the "pixels" I know they are not pixels... grids with gaps :) or whatever. its like there are 2 blue lens that are not converged, one is a couple of clicks out of sync with the other... if that makes sense.

I would also say that blue is dimmer rather than brighter, but as you say the human eye is not so sensitive to blue light, and I am over due my upgrade to the eyeglasses.

thx

V.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The blue will not focus as well as the other colours. but you should be able to see the grid (pixels) at 15khz. Have you adjusted the electronic focus on the side of the projector.
    It could be ypour blue tube ahs been over driven, try turning down the contrast and brightness to see if that improves the focus.

5. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roland

Will check it out and report back.

Gerry

6. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A tweak of the electronic focus gave a more acceptable image, not that I know what acceptable should be.... :) Thanks for the tip...

Now the next q. colours @ d6500 seem a little muted, lacking punch or a little washed out expecially when I compare to my CRT monitor which I have linked up as a dual display to play with power strip and set the negetive sync.... any tips for improved colour performace apart from :rtfm:

V.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    D6500 will only be accurate in the factory when the projector was made.
    I would suggest you use the custom seting. Leave the green for now and adgust the red and blue to gain the balance you require. Bear in mind there will be a lot of other factors that can change your colour balance. Most PC have software changes in two or three software levels