1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 650 data

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John Watts, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi everybody, I have been taking a few tentative steps into looking at a CRT projector.
    I want to buy one very cheap for now mainly to actually own one while i learn more about this side of the HC world and also to help me decide if its really what i want ( rather than the plasma route).
    I figure that if i can get hold of a cheap older model for say £500 or less then i wont break the bank even if i decide not to go down this road and at least for that kind of money we can have a great time playing the playstation ha ha.

Anyway i have seen a Barco 650 data for sale for £400 what are your guys thoughts on this machine? I realise its old and limited but would it serve my purposes as explained above ( a stop gap if you like)?
    Thanks for any help you can give,regards,
    John.

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    John, why dont you give roland a call and see what he has at the moment, i know he had a few sony 12xx at about £100 over your budget, i know it is over budget but I think this would be alot easier to use if it is your first time with a crt, it has digital convergance, and shuld give a better image.

I also think that you would be able to move it on alot easier than the barco 650 if you felt crt was not for you, and if it is then this would probably do for alot longer before the upgrade bug bites.

having said all that i would take a barco 650 over a plasma any day of the week.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    John the BD650 is a pretty fine projector. but it is set up entirely from manual convergence. There are loads of little knobs that you use to allign the projector.
    This machine will be about 10 years old but spares are still readily availble. provided it is in tiptop condition £400 is a good price.
    Take the usaual care when inspecting the tubes.
    It will work best as with all CRT's with some sort of line doubler which will make the lines less visible.

4. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks guys for the help, Roland would you be kind enough to forward me some details on the Sony machine gizlaroc mentioned?
    Again thanks for the point in the right direction.
    Regards,John.

5. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Gizlaroc, Hi,
    Judging by your above comment are you saying that a decent CRT PJ will beat plasma's?
    Do you mean in terms of picture quality?
    Also if you were to buy a 61" rather that say 42 or 50" plasma would the bigger screen give a worse image or is screen size not an issue with plasma screens?
    Again cheers for your help.
    John.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've got a Data 600 at home, which is getting on for 14 years old now. I have been running it on 1.5m (5ft) wide 16:9 screen, sometimems with an Iscan Pro that I used to borrow from work. It produces a much mroe cinematic picture than any PDP that I have seen and it cost very little (£200 for a Barco RCVDS 400 switcher, got the PJ free). When ever I look at any LCD or DLP projector or a PDP all I can see is a lack of blacks, can't beat the contrast ratio/black levels of CRT!

If there is any quibble it is the manual convergance, but I enjoy tweaking when needed, very couple weeks when in use. I use it mainly with friends consoles, PS2 and N64, it's great fun. The best was playing Medal Of Honour: AA (PC), that was amazing.

ED: Should have mentioned this, the D600 is very similar to the D650. I'd get it unless Roland has somthing much better, for a little more. Maybe a D700?

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I was saying that I would prefer a crt over a plasma, but for convenience then maybe a plasma would win it.

As far as image quality goes I have yet to see a plasma beat a well set up crt.

BUT, that is just it, the crt has to be set up well, where as a plasma you can pretty much turn on and get a good image.

But if you are willing to spend the money on a 61" plasma, have a look at the image you can get from crt/scaler with that kind of outlay.

If the room i was using, was for watching everyday tv, as well as games and movies, then i would probably go for a 42" Plasma with a 16:9 screen that could come down over it for serious viewing.
    If I end up using my dedicated room for regular tv viewing this is probably what i will end up doing, but for now I will make do with my crt, and there is no way I would swap it for any plasma, even at 60".
    well, unless i was allowed to sell it and buy myself a 0 hour 9" unit from Roland or Gordan ;)

try and get to see a crt running somewhere before you make your mind up.

CRT's are not going to move that much in price I wouldnt think but i bet plasmas come down another 50% in the next couple of years and get better with it, so I would spend my money on a crt now and maybe add a plasma as they improve and the price drops. but that is just an opinion.

edit: forgot to say that regarding 61" the bigger the image the worse it will be, well not worse but it will show any nasties easier because everything is is blown up, if you go bigger then you do need better scaler and deinterlacer, and crap discs will look even worse than on a 42" but if you get a good disc and the processing is good then obviously the image will be far more dramatic.

8. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Cheers guys, What about paulb's BG801s for sale @£750 its only a bit over budget but would it perform much better than the BD650?
    Has this machine got digital convergance?
    Again thanks folks for any help.
    Regards,John.

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The BG801s has digital convergance and was effectivly the relpacement for the 600 series.
    It is however larger and heavier. but quieter and newer.
    Price is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.