Barco 600 CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jayman, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Jayman

Jayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have come across this second hand datagrade CRT. Is it any good? Can you still get tubes for it if should break down? How much would it cost to have an engineer to install and callibrate it?
    Any advice would be appreciated as I am tempted to take a punt on it.
    Regards
    Jayman

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I also have a Barco Data 600. You will need some form of video convertor for it, to convert s-video and the like to RGBS. Barco do a RCVDS Quad 400 for this particular unit, hard to find though.

The only problem with mine, tubes are fine etc., is the power supply which is dying slowly.

What price have been given for it?

Nothing over £300 I hope.

Rick

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,073
    Jayman,

I'm not sure about replacement tubes for a 600. I'd expect you could buy another s/h one for about 1/4 of the cost or less of tube replacement.

You should be paying between £250 and £650 for a 600 data unit. It's an analogue chassis and can be a bit complicated for the uninitiated. As ReTrO says it probably needs an RGB convertor for s-vhs and composite inputs.

Think of it as the original Ellie. In its favour it's small and quiet compared to most and if you get a data version you can add a doubler or scaler to get rid of line structure and increase picture quality.

If someone can email me how to post pictures on this forum I could post a pic of what is possible with one.

Gordon

Costs for installation will likely depend on what's involved. Say around £250. I'd charge £50 per hr just now for standard convergence and geometry adjustments. I'd expect to take under two hrs to do a Barco 600. + Travel

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

4. Jayman

Jayman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for such helpful replies.

This unit seemed in good condition and will sell for at least £625. Having taken into account your thoughts and my situation I will hold out a bit longer. I think I need to educate my eye further before purchase.

Having just skimmed through some of the previous threads I think the way in which my query has been answered is the best possible rebuff to any accusations of bias.

Regards
    Jayman