Question Barco 4K projectors

ChrisHannon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys have been looking at projectors for a while and was looking to find out what people's thoughts wear on high end projectors the likes of the barco DP4K-23B ultra-bright 4K DLP projector and say there residential equivalents

What kind of screen size are you looking at?

They are high lumen for very large semi commercial type screens and overkill for domestic use.

When you say residential equivalence, do you mean like the Loki?

Sony (5000) and JVC (4500/Z1) do 4k semi domestic projectors, with the Sony being the brightest at around 5000 lumens (JVC is around 3000). Compared to the likes of the cheaper Sonys, JVCs and Epsons, they lack contrast, so you really need to get some demos of each of them to see if they can give you the kind of image you are after. An overly bright image can be detrimental to image quality.

You may also want to try laser rather than lamp, as the Barco lamps for that model are probably around £1500 each, not that you'll be changing it that often unless the screen size is extremely large - 20m+

What's your budget?

44 x 22 is 2:1, but assuming the 44 is correct, the width gives an effective area of almost 1100 square feet (the display chips are 16:9), so that rules out the JVC and Sony. Are you aiming for something like cinema levels of reflectance or brighter, for HDR for example? If the quoted lumens are correct (24,500) that will give you around 22fL on a unity gain screen (less for a perf or weave) which is above the DCI spec of 14fL so in that respect should be just fine. You may get more lumens if you use an anamorphic lens.

Contrast is under 2000:1 which is within the commercial range recommendations of 1200 to 2000, depending on which spec sheet you read (it's been a while, I'm just going on memory).

The person to speak to about these is I believe the UK dealer for Barco, and that's Neil Davidson who sometimes posts both here and on avsforum (as Ceenhad over there).

Drop him a pm for more info and any alternatives.

Yes I am going for cinema specs I am aim to try reach the HDR specs aswell we are just in the planning stage so just curious what are people's thoughts on the projectors

What is your source going to be, as if you're planning on 4k blus you'll run into HDMI issues? And budget, as meaningful HDR at the screen size isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Not many people here will have screens that large or require that many lumens, so I doubt you will get much feedback from here. What you will find is the contrast and black levels aren't particularly good, but that may be offset by other aspects of the image - you'll need to demo to see if it's what you're after. Try avsforum in the over $20k sub forum as you will probably find more owners and people with experience of it over there.

A dual stack Christie setup the same as Dolby use in their cinemas might be an idea if you have the budget. Excellent black and amazing HDR.

Ye I know it's a really big screen but will also double up as a screening room for people to use aswell as it is part of a residential studio where planing here in Ireland

Will you be using an acoustically transparent screen with speakers behind, and multiple rows of seats?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom