1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barco 1209/2 iris 2, June 1997

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simonfinch, Nov 25, 2003.

1. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Well i finally have in my possession a barco 1209/2

As i have no remote (at the moment), is there any way of turning the projector on to tell me how many hours this unit has done ?. (standby light is on at the moment)

futhermore is there anything is should know before i remove the lenses on the front of the projector (HD300 lenses) to check tube condition. (ie is there a right or wrong way ?).

Can anybody, (or more specifically Roland or Gorden) help me out.

Best Regards, Simon

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Great news Simon!
    Once you have it installed and setup properly, just give me a shout if you need any help.
    Not an expert of course, but i have had a couple of years with my 808s etc.;)

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    There should be a remote in the back of the unit. A drawer you push will flip open to show remote.

Lens assemblies should come off easy to check tube condition.

Cracking PJ once colour corrected. Still very good without

G

4. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gorden & Paul,

Thanks for your replies.
    Paul, I may have you ask you to "visit" one evening/weekend if your not too busy, as i know you dont live too far away from me. (you have my number give me a call if convenient).

To say i will need a bit of help getting this working properly is an understatement. :eek:

The quest for projector nirvana goes on........

will keep everbody updated as to my progress...

(pps just found the remote Gorden, thanks !, but ive no time to check if it now...., off to work)......

5. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i believe this projector was previously used in a floor mounted application, projecting an image onto the rear of a transparent screen.

1st question, how would I change the projector to project a floor mounted front projected image.

2nd question, how would i change the projector to project a ceiling mounted front projected image.

Just to give you all an update... I have managed to turn the projector on :clap: , and i can confirm all three CRT tubes are firing.

My next step is to remove each of the HD300 lenses and check the crt's for wear.

After that, (and with help from you all) i will re-configure the projector (temporary) for floor mounted front projection.

ps any danger of radiation from exposing yourself to the CRT's when in operation ?. (should i be concerned ?)

thanks, Simon

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Hi Simon
    Do you have the manuals?
    Here are a couple of links etc.

1209s data manual

1209s graphics manual

Cannot see the installation manuals, i'm sure they used to be there!
    Maybe installers complained?

I can't stress enough the importance of getting Roland round to setup it up, and calibrate it.
    You just won't be getting the full impact of what it can do.
    Roland does offer the colour correction filters for these lenses.

Once Roland has done his bit, i would be able to show you how to maintain this image!

Paul

7. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    paul, cheers mate, downloaded the 1209s owners manual from CRT projectors website.

just out of interest are the tubes aranged like so..

look from the front projector sat on the floor B G R

If this is the case i would say the blue tube is brand new say 9/10
    the green is part worn say 7/10
    the red is like new say 9/10

no distigushible marks on either red or green tubes.

simon

8. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your point on board about getting Roland to set this up. This mans abilty has been demonstrated on more than one occasion.

I just need to make sure its worth installing first.
    I will try and get hold of a digital camera and post some shots of the tube faces.

Then you can tell me your honest opinon....

9. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know how to convert the projector to front projection (menus backward when projector is on the floor.)

thanks, Simon

10. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, sorted that one.

changed switches under lid.
    i can now read the menus.

Barco 1209
    Serial No. 1107215
    software 7.33
    Run Time 13381 hrs

11. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoken to Roland (from B4 Projection).

It would appear that i have a "special build" unit which may require some more investigation/adjustment/or parts replaced before it will be able to used successfully in a Home Theatre enviroment.

I think he may be able to have a look at it when he gets a free moment.

Still unfazed, i am reasonably happy with my 1209.

The Saga continues.........

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I had a very long conversationj with Simon about this projector it came out of a 3D simulator that would reqire the user to wear LCD glasses that would have alternately allowed the viewer to see the left and right images.
    However this would mean the projector would have worked at 100-120hz and reqired a specail fast decay green tube to allow the L & R images to be seperated.
    I would budget for the green tube to be replaced or you will never get a proper colour balance.

13. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,

Thanks for your reply.
    As requested I have sent you mail containing all the projector details,
    I understand you will be very busy at the moment and look forward to you giving me some more detailed advice when you next get chance to check "B4's mail box"

Thank-you for your time on the telephone the other night, and for your unbiased advice.

On a more sobering note, I have since noticed that i have a large crack in the Blue tube at the interface between the HD300 lenses and the CRT Tube. This is allowing a v-small amount of coolant to leak from the CRT.
    I have repaired this leak with "Sillicone Sealant !!!" for now if only to save the CRT liquid coolant.

Will keep an eye on my e-mail in box, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Simon

PS, When you are able to get in touch please advise on costs for Tube/s?, Colour correction"C" Elements, (and also the "glass ?" on the front of the blue CRT, assuming it is possible to repair this crack ?) along with costs to set this PJ up.

Thanks

14. simonfinch

simonfinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

Well for those of you who know fullabeer, we had quite an interesting afternoon/evening yesterday.

Armed with his magical port 3 lead and a laptop running theatretek we breathed some life into my 1209/2.

Convergence (once roughly understood) took about 1.5 hrs to get a reasonable looking picture.
    We have both seen 1209's before, and to be honest the picture we had managed to create wasn't a million miles away from what we saw from a professionally set up picture.

Fullabeer thought we had used about 50% of the projectors potential. (discussing the image).

As this projector has yet to have CC elements fitted I was very impressed with the image. Even my NEC HT1000 (which i am very pleased with) is no match for the 1209's depth of field and the totally "cinematic" image.

I think we will both admit that the setting up of this projector is a job for the professionals.

Can't wait for Roland to get in touch.........

The only dissapontment was that i now know i will never be totally happy with my HEC HT1000 again...........

Fullabeer, Thanks again for your help mate, learnt more yesterday about colour correction and convergence than i have in the last six months....... :D