Barbecues are bloody brilliant Part 3

The Meat Merchant It looks like they only sell big hampers online, and it's not clear whether they ship outside of NI.

Yes hampers look good but pricey compared with in store.
needed an excuse to get the big joe on tomorrow so popped to butcher asked for a couple of tomahawk steaks he pulled out a lovely looking fore rib and cut these beauties. Roll on Saturday night :)

812170E5-1CCB-47D6-879F-C0CCB3F36798.jpeg

When you forget the rugby is on, crack a few beers then remember you were supposed to flash up the kamado Joe but didn’t,,,,,, reverse sear on the charcoal starter :)
01D90377-5441-4C5B-ADC4-91413218EADF.jpeg
5D1127AA-8F37-491B-BC16-91CEF7A4968D.jpeg
23879DDF-1D0F-4D2C-8C37-D1021A8C7641.jpeg
ED10170F-F813-4607-9E65-DF435C45EB2E.jpeg
14A0C57E-03F3-4523-8B1A-1D9DD50CA886.jpeg

Guys, Shall I get a Smokey Mountain (47cm) or something else? budget is in the £350-£400 mark so ceramics are a no go im afraid! :(

Ive already a weber kettle which I love, but if the smokey mountain is bettered by something else then id be tempted with that.

Guys, Shall I get a Smokey Mountain (47cm) or something else? budget is in the £350-£400 mark so ceramics are a no go im afraid! :(

Ive already a weber kettle which I love, but if the smokey mountain is bettered by something else then id be tempted with that.
@IronGiant recommended I look at the proQ range when I as contemplating a smokey mountain. I still am but didnt want to purchase anything during lockdown which would get little use so will likely look again for this summer.

After perusing I have to say the proQ range does look really good and I think might be edging it for me over the weber range

Just a quick note - KJ big block stock and good price, stock up before everybody goes BBQ mad

How would this stuff do in a bullet smoker?

I'm not sure... sorry. I use KJ Big block as it burns clean and long. Pieces are always nice and big and whatever's left can be reused after each cook

Edit - just watched a quick video about Bullet Smokers - Answer now is "YES' KJ big block would be ideal. It's really good for low and slow smoking with correct temp controls

Last edited:
I'm not sure... sorry. I use KJ Big block as it burns clean and long. Pieces are always nice and big and whatever's left can be reused after each cook

Edit - just watched a quick video about Bullet Smokers - Answer now is "YES' KJ big block would be ideal. It's really good for low and slow smoking with correct temp controls
Oh wow awesome! I will get my order in then, in advance of a new bullet smoker!

Oh wow awesome! I will get my order in then, in advance of a new bullet smoker!
whilst you're over your £50 free delivery, have a look at their other stuff. Its a great bbq retailer. I use them all the time. Nice family run business. Especially if your like the outdoors.

Not linked to the business in any way.... just plugging a good company. Most competitive price on Le Chameau boots if you're in the market.... found them looking for wellington boots :D

whilst you're over your £50 free delivery, have a look at their other stuff. Its a great bbq retailer. I use them all the time. Nice family run business. Especially if your like the outdoors.

Not linked to the business in any way.... just plugging a good company. Most competitive price on Le Chameau boots if you're in the market.... found them looking for wellington boots :D
Just having second thoughts on the price vs amount of charcoal.

27kgs for £66 seems a lot, last time I ordered a big delivery I bagged 45 KGs of the Big K Restarantu grade at around £60 so quite a difference.

I can still get the Big k for £25 here, so for £50 I can get 30KG's

I've not used the KJ stuff, but like you, use the Big K. It's quite a lot more, even with the discount, as you've noticed. @bobbaray have you ever compared them?

Interested too :) I’ve ordered some as it’s great stuff used on my kJ every cook so far but love to know a comparison.

I've not used the KJ stuff, but like you, use the Big K. It's quite a lot more, even with the discount, as you've noticed. @bobbaray have you ever compared them?

Yes I have had the Big K before. It's ok for quick grilling as the pieces are a lot smaller, I also found there was a lot of dregs and dust at the bottom. That could obviously be down to how it was transported.

I tried this stuff too which was pretty good.

I think the KJ big block burns better, longer and without much waste. Yes it is expensive, though it does go a long way

You just have to try them out and find out what's best.

@x3j3UKN if you are using a new smoker I would experiment with the Big K until you have mastered it, then experiment with different charcoal.

Anyone use a Meater or Meater+ thermometer?
Reviews are a bit mixed, but mostly negative for the cheaper one at least. I’m after a wireless thermometer with an app

I have a meater+ and a meater block and I'm pleased with them. Only thing I'd say is that there are much cheaper options out there now.

I have a meater+ and a meater block and I'm pleased with them. Only thing I'd say is that there are much cheaper options out there now.

Anything in particular you've seen or heard is decent in comparison?

Now I'm depressed, I'm planning to make a dedicated new entrance into mine for controlled ventilation. :eek:

Eff yes! Thank you mummy for my prezzie.

16BA1DA4-63C9-40F8-8FB2-ABF1805C00A4.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom