Barbecues are bloody brilliant Part 3

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Yes hampers look good but pricey compared with in store.
needed an excuse to get the big joe on tomorrow so popped to butcher asked for a couple of tomahawk steaks he pulled out a lovely looking fore rib and cut these beauties. Roll on Saturday night :)

812170E5-1CCB-47D6-879F-C0CCB3F36798.jpeg

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
When you forget the rugby is on, crack a few beers then remember you were supposed to flash up the kamado Joe but didn’t,,,,,, reverse sear on the charcoal starter :)
01D90377-5441-4C5B-ADC4-91413218EADF.jpeg
5D1127AA-8F37-491B-BC16-91CEF7A4968D.jpeg
23879DDF-1D0F-4D2C-8C37-D1021A8C7641.jpeg
ED10170F-F813-4607-9E65-DF435C45EB2E.jpeg
14A0C57E-03F3-4523-8B1A-1D9DD50CA886.jpeg

x3j3UKN

Guys, Shall I get a Smokey Mountain (47cm) or something else? budget is in the £350-£400 mark so ceramics are a no go im afraid! :(

Ive already a weber kettle which I love, but if the smokey mountain is bettered by something else then id be tempted with that.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Guys, Shall I get a Smokey Mountain (47cm) or something else? budget is in the £350-£400 mark so ceramics are a no go im afraid! :(

Ive already a weber kettle which I love, but if the smokey mountain is bettered by something else then id be tempted with that.
@IronGiant recommended I look at the proQ range when I as contemplating a smokey mountain. I still am but didnt want to purchase anything during lockdown which would get little use so will likely look again for this summer.

After perusing I have to say the proQ range does look really good and I think might be edging it for me over the weber range

x3j3UKN

bobbaray

How would this stuff do in a bullet smoker?

I'm not sure... sorry. I use KJ Big block as it burns clean and long. Pieces are always nice and big and whatever's left can be reused after each cook

Edit - just watched a quick video about Bullet Smokers - Answer now is "YES' KJ big block would be ideal. It's really good for low and slow smoking with correct temp controls

Last edited:

x3j3UKN

I'm not sure... sorry. I use KJ Big block as it burns clean and long. Pieces are always nice and big and whatever's left can be reused after each cook

Edit - just watched a quick video about Bullet Smokers - Answer now is "YES' KJ big block would be ideal. It's really good for low and slow smoking with correct temp controls
Oh wow awesome! I will get my order in then, in advance of a new bullet smoker!

bobbaray

Oh wow awesome! I will get my order in then, in advance of a new bullet smoker!
whilst you're over your £50 free delivery, have a look at their other stuff. Its a great bbq retailer. I use them all the time. Nice family run business. Especially if your like the outdoors.

Not linked to the business in any way.... just plugging a good company. Most competitive price on Le Chameau boots if you're in the market.... found them looking for wellington boots :D

x3j3UKN

whilst you're over your £50 free delivery, have a look at their other stuff. Its a great bbq retailer. I use them all the time. Nice family run business. Especially if your like the outdoors.

Not linked to the business in any way.... just plugging a good company. Most competitive price on Le Chameau boots if you're in the market.... found them looking for wellington boots :D
Just having second thoughts on the price vs amount of charcoal.

27kgs for £66 seems a lot, last time I ordered a big delivery I bagged 45 KGs of the Big K Restarantu grade at around £60 so quite a difference.

I can still get the Big k for £25 here, so for £50 I can get 30KG's

IronGiant

I've not used the KJ stuff, but like you, use the Big K. It's quite a lot more, even with the discount, as you've noticed. @bobbaray have you ever compared them?

busterbenny2001

Distinguished Member
Interested too :) I’ve ordered some as it’s great stuff used on my kJ every cook so far but love to know a comparison.

bobbaray

I've not used the KJ stuff, but like you, use the Big K. It's quite a lot more, even with the discount, as you've noticed. @bobbaray have you ever compared them?

Yes I have had the Big K before. It's ok for quick grilling as the pieces are a lot smaller, I also found there was a lot of dregs and dust at the bottom. That could obviously be down to how it was transported.

I tried this stuff too which was pretty good.

I think the KJ big block burns better, longer and without much waste. Yes it is expensive, though it does go a long way

You just have to try them out and find out what's best.

@x3j3UKN if you are using a new smoker I would experiment with the Big K until you have mastered it, then experiment with different charcoal.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Anyone use a Meater or Meater+ thermometer?
Reviews are a bit mixed, but mostly negative for the cheaper one at least. I’m after a wireless thermometer with an app

IronGiant

I have a meater+ and a meater block and I'm pleased with them. Only thing I'd say is that there are much cheaper options out there now.

IronGiant

Aj33

Distinguished Member
I purchased this last year after a member here suggesting it. Think I paid about £50 at the time and it's in a deal at the moment for £38.

Amazon product
I have the same. No complaints here. Used almost weekly these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD