Barbecue Gas

mda1974

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just bought a gas barbecue for the first time (a sale offer to good to miss).
It needs propane gas but I don't know what size I need. It's a two burner, plus a side burner.
Anyone got a similar size barbecue and if so what size gas bottle did you get and how long does it last.

Thanks

Snap. Related question, i've had mine a lot longer (albeit only had occasional use). How do you know when its near empty? Dont want to run out just as I fire it up one day.

Snap. Related question, i've had mine a lot longer (albeit only had occasional use). How do you know when its near empty? Dont want to run out just as I fire it up one day.

Good question actually, imagine it'll get incredibly light and then i'd think about getting a refill.

We went for the 13kg drum when we got one and I regret it in hindsight, its just so massive and heavy (yes im a weakling :D), it hasnt run out yet after a couple of years with heavy use but I'd rather have got <5 and refilled more often

And don't forget to keep the receipt for your refund on the empty gas bottle if you want to return it

The one's from B&Q have a gauge at the top ( like fuel gauge in a car) so you can tell how much you have left.

I can't see this on the B&Q website, do you have a link?

Currently, I use a lightweight (and see through) BP one from Homebase. I think it costs £30 to refill which i slightly more than some places but the light weight and convenience makes it worthwhile to me.

13kg here and the last one lasted 6 years. It's not too big at all and though it is heavy, it just sits under the BBQ so only needs moved twice a year when it goes away for the winter and again when it comes out for the summer. Cost £29 for a refill (replacement).

13kg here and the last one lasted 6 years. It's not too big at all and though it is heavy, it just sits under the BBQ so only needs moved twice a year when it goes away for the winter and again when it comes out for the summer. Cost £29 for a refill (replacement).

My 5Kg ran out last week after a couple of years of fairly light use but with a replacement at £21 or the 13Kg at £29 it was a no brainer to go for the larger size

I've got a 15kg Butane tank, up to about 3 years now and I have barely used any of it.

You can usually swap butane/propane for gas BBQs, you just need to swap out some connections. BBQ I bought came with propane fittings and took 10min to swap for my Butane tank :)

And pro-tip. you can check how full they are by 1. Checking the weight, 2. Giving it a shake and 3. Feeling the side of it, as the liquid gas level drops you feel a cold area and a slightly warmer area. Where they meet is the fluid level. Another option to make it easier is pour some warm water down the side of the tank, the gas area will stay warmer longer and the liquid area will cool much much quicker.

You can usually swap butane/propane for gas BBQs, you just need to swap out some connections. BBQ I bought came with propane fittings and took 10min to swap for my Butane tank :)

Any advantage to making the swap, the regular bbq'er amongst our friends uses a 15kg butane tank when hes not charcoaling.

I can't see this on the B&Q website, do you have a link?

Currently, I use a lightweight (and see through) BP one from Homebase. I think it costs £30 to refill which i slightly more than some places but the light weight and convenience makes it worthwhile to me.

Check on B&Qs website. I get in store.

Mine is similar to yours. I got a 5kg bottle it lasted me just over 2 years, pretty heavy use for the 1st year too, and moderate use last year.

Good question actually, imagine it'll get incredibly light and then i'd think about getting a refill.

We went for the 13kg drum when we got one and I regret it in hindsight, its just so massive and heavy (yes im a weakling :D), it hasnt run out yet after a couple of years with heavy use but I'd rather have got <5 and refilled more often

13kg here and the last one lasted 6 years.

I've got a 15kg Butane tank, up to about 3 years now and I have barely used any of it.

Wow, are you guys just cooking 2 sausages and a burger at each BBQ? I have a double burner with hot plate and a 10KG bottle only last me one season!

Wow, are you guys just cooking 2 sausages and a burger at each BBQ? I have a double burner with hot plate and a 10KG bottle only last me one season!

I'd say on average probably about 15 to 20 sausages, 12 burgers, handful of chicken plus veggies. Occasionally something more exotic if anyones in the mood.

We did a spatchcocked turkey at xmas, how often are you cooking to get through it that fast?! :D

I'd say on average probably about 15 to 20 sausages, 12 burgers, handful of chicken plus veggies. Occasionally something more exotic if anyones in the mood.

We did a spatchcocked turkey at xmas, how often are you cooking to get through it that fast?! :D

It depends what the weather is like. If it's sunny then we'll eat outside 2-3 times a week, plus the odd big one when the family come over. £30 a year for gas isn't going to break the bank though, i'm just suprised people are getting several years use out of one bottle!

It depends what the weather is like. If it's sunny then we'll eat outside 2-3 times a week, plus the odd big one when the family come over. £30 a year for gas isn't going to break the bank though, i'm just suprised people are getting several years use out of one bottle!

Fair play, about as regular as us, weather permitting, yeah the £30 doesnt bother me so much- for the amount of use its cheap, surprised people get such varied usage times, maybe dependant on the power of the bbq amongst other things

Fair play, about as regular as us, weather permitting, yeah the £30 doesnt bother me so much- for the amount of use its cheap, surprised people get such varied usage times, maybe dependant on the power of the bbq amongst other things

I live in Scotland. Maybe that explains why mine lasts so long. :D

I bought mine in May and probably have one small BBQ left in it ie. just sausages, burgers, chops etc. Can't count how many BBQs I've had but I have cooked a large full chicken on it four times (2+ hours a piece with 2 out of 4 burners on full).

Any advantage to making the swap, the regular bbq'er amongst our friends uses a 15kg butane tank when hes not charcoaling.

There isnt a difference really, not for BBQs anyway. Only reason I made the change was I got the BBQ cheap (aldi) and I already had the tank!

Only real differences I can think of is Butane holds more energy in the same size tank (weighs more though) and Propane boils into gas at much lower temps which means if its cold outside you might struggle to light the BBQ!

My BP light 5kg last about 1 to 2 months its a Weber Genesis but we do BBQ a lot. Big roasts like sucking pig and for 3-4 hours at a time.Even cook our sunday fryup in a big paella pan on the BBQ , eggs bacon sausages tommies mushrooms fried bread and toast on the side ,whatever the weather, I will die young I know. Havnt cooked a a xmas meal in the kitchen in over 7 years all ways on the BBQ. Last time I changed the BP gas 5kg bottle it cost me £32 expensive but its great fun and great food.

I bought mine in May and probably have one small BBQ left in it ie. just sausages, burgers, chops etc. Can't count how many BBQs I've had but I have cooked a large full chicken on it four times (2+ hours a piece with 2 out of 4 burners on full).

I have a gas BBQ and was just wondering what the advantage of cooking a chciken on gas for 2 hours is rather than just bunging it in the normal oven. I can understand charcoal due to the taste.

If its better I'll give it a go

I smoke mine with a few smoke packs. Plus you can't get the searing in an oven.

It's always worth trying a decent Roofing suppliers for Gas, Asphaltic have branches up and down the country. Often they'll just take any old bottle in exchange, but it depends on the branch.

Asphaltic Roofing | RoofShop | UK Roofing Supplies

The thought of paying £32 for a 5KG gas would make my ex boss break into a sweat, its only £32 delivered for a 19KG from Flogas. I dont know whether they remove the £24 bottle charge if you supply an empty when they deliver your first full one, but it would only take a phone call to find out.

19kg Propane Gas Cylinder | Online Shop | Flogas

I have a gas BBQ and was just wondering what the advantage of cooking a chciken on gas for 2 hours is rather than just bunging it in the normal oven. I can understand charcoal due to the taste.

If its better I'll give it a go

have a read of beer can chicken. The basic idea works really well!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom