Baptism Photos - Disappointed with my new 50mm f/1.8

senu

Distinguished Member
These friday afternoon jobbies...:oops::suicide:
I still think.. the 1.4 would not be such a let down. I have both and though not sharper the 1.4 is way more dependable for tricky focus

electrolyte

Thanks for all the help and advice on this thread - this is why I love this forum!

I've emailed onestop and asked them for the procedure of getting a replacement. Hopefully they will replace it in a painless way. Wish me luck.

Send it back and invest in a nice Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM :D :clap:

77mm filter thread :devil:

You know you want to

I do want one but only if you're paying Steve :smashin::D

These friday afternoon jobbies...:oops::suicide:
I still think.. the 1.4 would not be such a let down. I have both and though not sharper the 1.4 is way more dependable for tricky focus

I agree Senu, but I can't afford the extra £150 to get the 1.4. But the cheapness of the 1.8 doesn't excuse the fact that the one I've got is faulty.

I agree, although you should try a few repeats of the shots, manually de-focusing between each AF attempt, just to eliminate any one-off quirks.

I agree that is probably a good idea but I think I have proved that the lens is faulty so that is enough for me.

jonnypb

kit lens is fine and thankfully the camera is fine

defo got a front focus lens but very soft as well. hopefully you'll get it swapped soon

i just know you're scouting for a 2nd hand 1.4 :devil: i was well chuffed with my 1.4 after i sold the 1.8 ;)

electrolyte

UPDATE: I sent my faulty 50mm f/1.8 II lens back to One Stop and they "repaired" it. I got it back today and guess what? It still front focuses by 10-14 mm! :mad: I'm not happy.

So I now am in a quandary about what to do next. Do I send the lens back to One Stop and demand a replacement lens not a repair? Do I send the lens back and give them £150 more for a Canon f/1.4? Or do I send the lens back and get a refund? Answers on a postcard please....

Here is the evidence:

Test 1

Test 1 close up

Test 2

Test 2 close up

In between tests 1 and 2 I took the 50mm lens off and replaced it with my 18-55 kit lens. The kit lens behaved as it did a few weeks ago when I first started this thread.

senu

Distinguished Member
For the love of God.. Just ask for a refund.. and have a think.. :cool:
Maybe they didn't actually repair it but had a fiddle ?? to humour you and return it
The 50mm 1.4 is better but ( owning both as I do) but that 1.8 is simply faulty . You could get another one elsewhere or bite the bullet and plump for the 1.4 ( which is better built TBH)
As an aside:
Allymac says he's had to get his ( excellent ...and costly £ 650-700) 17-55 f2.8 fixed so no lens is immune from malfunction it would seem
My 17-85 was recently stiff and shake revealed a rattle ..out came a liitle screw.. although its still works well . I wonder how much longer as that screw had to be doing something useful:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mark800

Distinguished Member
This is why Canon have been intrroducing the AF adjust in its cameras, such as the 50D and the forthcoming 5D Mark II, to make up for such deficiencies in lenses.

electrolyte

Thanks guys - have decided to send the lens back and get a refund. I contacted Onestop and asked them for a refund and they replied with this:

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Please find the attached file, which is the Canon invoice stating the AF has been aligned and checked.

We have also just spoken to Canon, and they had confirmed that the lens had been calibrated and checked. However, they have pointed out that this lens focuses in steps instead of a smooth focus action, hence it does not always give perfect focusing results, but this is not a fault, instead it is a limitation of the lens.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Onestop Digital

So it looks like I'm stuck with a faulty lens. The frustrating thing is that this lens does not behave like the previous 2 50mm 1.8 II lenses that used in the past. Quite how Canon can say that not focusing properly is a limitation of the lens and not a fault is beyond me.

I think this will be the last time I'll order something from HK...

Geordie Jester

You are not stuck with a faulty lens. You've done nothing to break it !

Just demand a refund or that they send to Canon for testing. Point out that you are a member of a number of photography forums that are very surprised at your post about the type of service you can expect from onestop. Send them the test shots you took too.

Just call me Al

Novice Member
they have pointed out that this lens focuses in steps instead of a smooth focus action, hence it does not always give perfect focusing results, but this is not a fault, instead it is a limitation of the lens.

STEPS, are they joking. I have one of these lenses & they can have it back if thats the case. I never saw anything about it focusing in STEPS in their adds.

The pictures are clearly not good enough & that is the fault of the lens. Send it back.

electrolyte

You are not stuck with a faulty lens. You've done nothing to break it !

Just demand a refund or that they send to Canon for testing. Point out that you are a member of a number of photography forums that are very surprised at your post about the type of service you can expect from onestop. Send them the test shots you took too.

Unfortunately they say that they've sent it to Canon and Canon say there is no fault. They attached a receipt from Canon HK which says that the AF was checked and aligned. I am about to send them a strong email saying that they are wrong, this lens has a fault and I would like a refund.

EDIT: I sent them links to the photos I took in my first email to Onestop so they have already seen how bad they are.

cedmondson

Simon,

I've been a happy Onestop customer (with a fair few transactions to base my experience on) but I've been sufficiently concerned from reading your reports that I might seriously hesitate to use them again.
Onestop's business has flourished purely because they've given good service, and word of mouth in forums such as this has persuaded otherwise cautious buyers to give them a go. If memory serves correctly, negative 'word of mouth' has something like 9x the impact of positive stuff so your strongest weapon is exactly what you're doing - i.e. reporting your experiences to us here.
So...I'd make sure Onestop know that you are a prominently active member of a popular forum that has fed a lot of business to them, that you aren't happy right now and are objectively reporting your findings to many potential Onestop customers. I'd also point out that you and many other forum members have, or have had 'nifty's that focus flawlessly.
Good luck :smashin:

electrolyte

Thanks Colin. I have just sent this email to them:

Thank you for your email. I must say I am flabbergasted that Canon states that the lens is not faulty and the poor focussing I have experienced is a “limitation of the lens”. This is the 3rd Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens that I have owned and the first 2 did not behave like this one at all. This lens does not focus on the subject, the focus is out. With the other two lenses, if I was taking a head and shoulders portrait and I focused the lens on the subject’s eye this would be in focus in the final photograph. Even at an aperture of f/1.8. With this faulty lens, if I do the same thing, the eyes are not in focus and neither is the rest of their face yet the tips of the fringe of their hair is in focus. In both cases the subject is still and I am still so this should not be happening. Again, I repeat, this did not happen with the other two 50mm f/1.8 lenses I have owned.

I am a prominent member of an internet photography forum where I have read in the past about your service and good experiences other users of the forum had with you. This is the main reason why I decided to order lenses from you. The good reports gave me confidence in dealing with you. This is the second product I have bought from you having bought a 70-300 Sigma lens last year. I have posted objectively about my experiences with this faulty lens on that forum and other owners of 50mm f/1.8 II lenses agree with me that the lens you have sold me is faulty and does not behave like their lens does. You can read the thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/digi...ointed-my-new-50mm-f-1-8-a-3.html#post7957953. It has not been my intention to put people off from using your site but I am afraid that is the conclusion that some of the members have come to – and they were customers of your site as well.

I can accept that this lens is a cheap lens. And some intolerance can be expected. My experiences with these lenses show that the lenses only last for about 2 years use before they stop working – my two previous lenses both started to stick when focussing and then freeze completely a few weeks later. But hey, they are cheap so I can accept that this happens; if I want a lens with good build quality I should pay for it, right? But what I cannot accept is that not focusing correctly when new is regarded as a limitation of the lens. Especially when my two previous lenses did not behave like that. Were these other two lenses “faulty” and this is the one that works as Canon designed? Surely not!

Therefore I am requesting again that I would like to return the lens and receive a full refund as the lens is not fit for purpose.

I await your response.

Regards

Simon

I'll wait to see what their response is.

T0MAT01

Good luck with it Simon.
I've bought from onestop myself in the past and even recommended them to people away from the forum. I'll wait to see how they deal with your faulty lens before I do so again.

jonnypb

hope they give you a refund on the lens. I've used them once before and it was a smooth transaction but if they're not going to refund your lens, which any decent retailer would do as it's faulty, I won't be using them again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone

if you have a good experience with a retailer you might tell 4 people if you have a bad experience you'll tell 20.........

allymac123

I've never bought anything from HK although I have considered it in the past and its situations like this that have stopped me short from buying anything from there. I'm now glad I never have and vow that I never will.

py6km

It's a toughie. What's that saying....you pays your money, you takes your chances...?

I've had 3 or 4 high value lenses from OneStop now, and all have been perfect. The 50 1.8 I had was from Kerso, so presumably also not UK stock, but that was perfect as well. If any one of them hadn't have been top notch I guess I would have been in the same situation, but I was prepared for that (mentally), and was happy enough taking the 'risk'.

I think you could have been unlucky anywhere, it's just that (to state the obvious) when you're not satisfied it's more difficult to get what you want from retailers such as this who are the cheapest (and not local).

That being said, I can easily imagine trying to get a refund/replacement in a UK store and not being able to in these circumstances, especially given Canon's report card stating that there is no fault.

tdodd

Novice Member
My Nifty and BG-E2 battery grip came from Onestop. My 10-22 and an Ixus underwater housing came from UR-Galaxy in Hong Kong and my 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 100-400 came from Digital Rev in Hong Kong. A minor problem, which I caused, was handled efficiently by Digital Rev with contact by phone through their UK based support centre and their online ticket tracking system.

My confidence in these suppliers is sufficient that I just placed an order today for a Canon 50D with Digital Rev. I know I won't have a UK warranty but, touch wood, I have not needed any post sales support for any of my two existing Canon bodies, six Canon lenses or other Canon accessories, so I am not expecting a problem with my 50D. If there is a problem then I put my trust in Digital Rev to sort things out.

Since the 50D is costing me just £795 including VAT and delivery I think the savings are large enough compared with genuine UK stock and UK support to make the "risk" worth taking. Let's face it, the kit all comes from the same factory so the chances of failure with a grey import are no greater than with authorised UK stock.

I've just checked prices on Camerapricebuster and I see there has been another round of big price movements on the 50D, largely in a downward direction. I don't know whether RGB-Tech stock is UK authorised or grey but they have the camera for £867 delivered including a 2 year warranty, and Amazon have it for £895 delivered. Everyone else is charging the wrong side of £940, so I'm happy with my saving of ~£100+.

Last edited:

T0MAT01

Yep, that's what we wanted to hear. And at least onestop usually deliver pretty quickly (sometimes faster than UK based sellers!) so with a bit of luck you wont have to wait toooo much longer.

electrolyte

I received the new lens today in the post and the great news is that it focusses as it should. Here is the evidence - I focussed on this handsome chap's eye and that's where the focus is on the final photo. Result. Thank you Onestop!

Is especially good as this was taken at f/1.8 so the lens should be really soft. It is, but it's not so bad really.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber expands Lumina speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch Heritage Forte IV speakers now available in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Primare unveils NP5 Prisma MK2 network player for August
  • By Andy Bassett