1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baptism of fire

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by seany, Jun 12, 2005.

1. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Today Diane my partner was the god mother for our good friends. I thought about if I should just turn up and get drunk and leave my camera at home. No expectations to live up to etcetera, though actually we only knew about 8 people out of the 150 people. Anyway I brought it ,
    Thought I might get some decent shots if a get the chance to use it in the church. Sat down had my 85mm lens on, picked the right spot for the length.

Priest said a few words, one of the first things was is we don’t allow pictures during the baptism as the flash distracts me, though I’d be happy to allow some after. I’m right up the front almost when he says this., with over a 100 people behind me. At that point I speak up and say, excuse me, is it ok if take some photos as I wont be using flash. I felt like all eyes were on me, but I needed to say it. “ if flash will not be used then yes that’s fine”. “Can you please come over and sit here” still getting over having the cheek to ask him, I just moved to where he pointed me two. But where he sat me was a little close for the 85 and I left my 50 over the other side and by that point I wasn’t going to start running over to get it

It was hard going getting shots where I was sat as I was a bit too close, but I managed some, and I’ve never shot in a church before, the light was not great. One of the things that’s hard to get right when using a large aperture is depth of field, and of course a baptism is hardly something that involves one subject so you’re going to get soft focus, off focus. I never really ended up taking many shots because of where I ended up sitting but I’ll share a few.

Scary today i have to say, and still a long road to travell, lots to learn. Still i was the only person taking photos during the baptism;)

Christ I need to be using RAW though :laugh:

Seriously need some web space to, 120k is **** poor

Attached Files:

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    get in contact with topducks.com, very cheap good webhosting, then buy www.seanyandwifey.co.uk and use it as your webspace :)

3. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    baptisms are boring, but yeh you've got some pretty good shots there, its especially difficult without flash.

"no flash it distracts me" jeez all hes doing is dipping a child head first into a bucket of manchester ship canel water, its hardly rocket science. always a good idea to ask the vicar first if you can take some pictures. its better than "can i take some pics i wont use flash" "no you cant, and you shall be thrown into a pit of snakes and be damned for all eternity, photogboy"

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Geezer jamie, geezer.

Noticed one thing about when photos are loaded up to the forum, they degrade more then on other forums, or is it just me?. look round the head of the guy with the candle on this forum and then look on here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78892 Is it just me:confused:

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Doh, it's the fitting to page:blush:

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Great photos mate, I'm sure the parents will be over the moon with them. It can't be easy shooting in a church without flash, I've often thought about going into local churches to experiment with shots of the lighting through the windows etc but am never sure if you are allowed to just walk into a church at any time of day !

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's a tough on john if people are involved as you need a wide aperture to get a high enough shutter speed to stop motion blur. Empty church would not be such a problem, but anything that moves is hard to deal with in that sort of light .