Banning Scalpers and BOTS

Keep this thread open?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he offered nothing else to the forums apart from hoovering up PS5’s in volume. He understood the decision and was perfectly civil about the Admin decision.

Because he offered nothing else to the forums apart from hoovering up PS5’s in volume

Fair enough, suppose he made the sellers happy! I noticed he had almost purchased as many as Fozzeh! :)

Here's Jim's take on this - Spoiler-not-spoiler: they are predictably scathing :D

Last edited:
To me its the bots that i hate as they make it so much harder for individuals to get one, the scalpers can be annoying with their pretend sob stories but it is down to people to pay or ignore them. The bots though cannot be ignored sadly.

Based on the outcome of the vote which closed yesterday, the thread remains open

The only thing I don't understand is the struggle people have had to get a console, if they're so determined to get one, even at retail.

The only thing I don't understand is the struggle people have had to get a console, if they're so determined to get one, even at retail.

Because it’s easier to get online and order a jar of the holy grail? :D

Because it’s easier to get online and order a jar of the holy grail? :D
Now, with certain retailers, yes. Argos have been terrible with their launches. Was it JL who did a silly timed one too this week?

Shopto have had very little stock.

Amazon and Smyths have been pretty good to actually get stock... although Amazon get hammered very quickly.

It’s one thing stores getting stock, it’s another trying to get one of them. I’ve been keeping an eye out and as soon as I see a notification that there’s stock, it’s gone by the time I get to the site and get close to adding it to my basket.

And that’s assuming I’m watching Twitter or whatever at the exact right time. A few seconds too late and it’s gone.

I find it crazy how many people, especially long standing members here, who are happy to take a console away from someone who genuinely wants one and instead are trying to make a quick buck.

I get that money might be a lot to some people, but I also feel a lot of people on this site probably aren’t that short of money that £200 would be a life changer for them being able to put food on the table.

Seeing people with such high feedback scalping here is crazy.

I guess where there’s demand then people will try to profit off it but you kind of expect a community to maybe be a bit above that. Hopefully people will stop paying these silly scalping prices and it will force the scalpers to drop their price.

I get wanting to make your money back, I get on eBay that you’d sell it high enough that you’d make your money back after eBay fees (although you could wait for a £1 listing weekend). I don’t get people selling console that they’ve been using, and selling for £200 more than a brand new console should cost.

As you can see, it’s pretty annoying to me. And I’m lucky to own both next gen consoles. But looking for a console for someone else, it’s shameful to see the state of trying to buy one now.

Anyway, rant over 😁

It’s one thing stores getting stock, it’s another trying to get one of them. I’ve been keeping an eye out and as soon as I see a notification that there’s stock, it’s gone by the time I get to the site and get close to adding it to my basket.

And that’s assuming I’m watching Twitter or whatever at the exact right time. A few seconds too late and it’s gone.

I find it crazy how many people, especially long standing members here, who are happy to take a console away from someone who genuinely wants one and instead are trying to make a quick buck.

I get that money might be a lot to some people, but I also feel a lot of people on this site probably aren’t that short of money that £200 would be a life changer for them being able to put food on the table.

Seeing people with such high feedback scalping here is crazy.

I guess where there’s demand then people will try to profit off it but you kind of expect a community to maybe be a bit above that. Hopefully people will stop paying these silly scalping prices and it will force the scalpers to drop their price.

I get wanting to make your money back, I get on eBay that you’d sell it high enough that you’d make your money back after eBay fees (although you could wait for a £1 listing weekend). I don’t get people selling console that they’ve been using, and selling for £200 more than a brand new console should cost.

As you can see, it’s pretty annoying to me. And I’m lucky to own both next gen consoles. But looking for a console for someone else, it’s shameful to see the state of trying to buy one now.

Anyway, rant over 😁
For me, if I’m selling to someone I have some sort of personal relationship with (and therefore know that they actually want it for themselves) I’m selling at cost.

To some random person on AVF, who I’ve possibly never had any direct interaction with previously, (and who may be saying one thing, and have different intentions entirely), why would I leave money on the table for them to potentially make a profit off of my goodwill?

Plus, I like paying as little money as possible for toys, so selling one console at profit and bringing the overall cost to purchase down makes good sense.

Serious question, are you still actively scalping @Inked?
If so, would you share how you're doing it?
I've been trying so hard this last week especially, Discord, auto tab refresh add ons, Distill - all sorts and haven't got close. It really is pissing me off now as I don't seem to be getting any closer. Even allowed Notifications through the night (wife so happy about that but 'allowed' it as it's for the lad.) and had a few wake ups for X Boxes, but nothing for PS5).

Last edited:
I've been trying so hard this last week especially, Discord, auto tab refresh add ons, Distill - all sorts and haven't got close. It really is pissing me off now as I don't seem to be getting any closer.
I’ve only sold one console for profit which was purchased at launch.
I’m not actively looking for any more consoles, but when I was looking for drops (for the consoles I sold to friends) I was following IGN on Twitter.

Doesn't load

For me, if I’m selling to someone I have some sort of personal relationship with (and therefore know that they actually want it for themselves) I’m selling at cost.

To some random person on AVF, who I’ve possibly never had any direct interaction with previously, (and who may be saying one thing, and have different intentions entirely), why would I leave money on the table for them to potentially make a profit off of my goodwill?

Plus, I like paying as little money as possible for toys, so selling one console at profit and bringing the overall cost to purchase down makes good sense.

Spot on

I’ve only sold one console for profit which was purchased at launch.
I’m not actively looking for any more consoles, but when I was looking for drops (for the consoles I sold to friends) I was following IGN on Twitter.
Rookie numbers :p

I've found Hot Stock very good, and that's the free version.
The digital version I got the other day from Smyths is going to a work colleague :)

I've been trying so hard this last week especially, Discord, auto tab refresh add ons, Distill - all sorts and haven't got close. It really is pissing me off now as I don't seem to be getting any closer. Even allowed Notifications through the night (wife so happy about that but 'allowed' it as it's for the lad.) and had a few wake ups for X Boxes, but nothing for PS5).

Hasn't the UK got a dedicated bargain site? I wasn't interested in a PS5 at all at launch, I only decided in December that I wanted one. I obtained one in a matter of weeks, even though scalpers have been a problem here in Australia as well, by simply following this Australian bargain site (there are people that just sit in front of their computers all day, and refresh Australian websites for stock availability, and instantly post it up on this bargain site):

And also by following this Australian forum (which often crosses over with OzBargain), which appears to be far more active than the "heads up - PS5 stock alert" thread on this site, 141 pages at 25 posts per page, compared to 747 pages at 20 posts per page:

Publicly selling to members isn't allowed on that site either. Is AVforums the best UK based home theatre and tech forum that the UK has for this sort of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom