1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banned!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Stereo Steve, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had a long break from XBL and decided it was time to have a go again. I have a moddded box, used only for legit reasons and have played PGR2 with the chip off. However, I now find I am banned. I think this maybe because the box was used on Live with the original HDD before upgrading.

Now, I know you can flash the eeprom and get unbanned but I have heard that unless you change the HDD, you will get banned again. Is this true?

I can do this no problem because I have a spare 120gb drive that I can swap.

Or, do I just need to get a stock xbox and play live on that? Seems a shame. I only use my modded box for media centre to stream music and stuff from my office pc.

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,349
    Yup, you're right, that's the most plausible theory on how they ban you. The theory (although i've seen so much evidence to back it up now it must be approaching fact) is that when you sign up for Live then record your Hard Disk serial & Your Eeporm serial. If you then change either one then the marriage between the HD & Eeprom is broken and they ban you. Now that your eeprom is banned you will need another eeprom from an unbanned box (you can buy these I think for about £12) and a fresh Hard Disk. When you then recover your account to the new hard disk it assumes that you are playing on a new box and as it's the box, not the account that is banned you should then be OK.

The other option (now that Boxes are cheap) is to get another one (either new or second hand unmodded & unbanned) and use that specifically for live & your other one as your media centre. This does obviously take up a fair bit of room though due to the size of the XB.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, space is the trouble. How about this idea?

I buy a second unmodded box and chip it with a spare chip (x2.3b which I have) but keep the stock hard drive. As I say, I only use the mod for media etc so don't want to store games on the HDD. I then sell my old Xbox to somebody who won't want Live and maybe I'll be a few quid in pocket at the end of it due to it having a big hard drive.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,349
    Yeah that's a decent idea - someone should take the old box off you even if it is banned.