banking card readers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kopchoir, Jan 25, 2008.

1. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    recieved a banking card reader through the post today from natwest its supposed to keep me safer online anyone got one of these its the size of a calculator and it generates some numbers and you have to enter the generated number.
    so anyone used one what are they like ???

2. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,718
    Have one of these with Barclays - the 'PINsentry'
    - pretty straightforward and I don't have to remember (or copy and paste) any passwords or security numbers

2 step authentication - very similar to those VPN card readers that some people might have for work-related internet access (had one of those in my last job)

3. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Basically these generate a one time number for you to purchase things without the worry of getting scammed.

Not a new thing, Cahoot have being doing this without the machine for a few years, you can also get a top up card that you put cash on at local shops and use it online, meaning there is no cash to scam from.

Liam

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    I find it a complete PITA having to retrieve the card from my wallet before logging on. Even more of a pain when you're out & go to use the card & remember it's sat at home in the bloody reader! :suicide:

5. anjo

anjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I am also with Natwest and received one a few months back. I don't have to use it for general online banking such as viewing statments or transferring money between accounts or to payees I have already set up. If I need to set up a new payee to do some other actions which I forget what they are, that is when I have to use it as verification. I think I've only had to use it once.

6. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    ok thanks for that and the other posts
    crocodile its going to happen to me all the time that mate i can see it coming:suicide:

7. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,828
    I read up on this on Barclays site as I use their internet banking - from the sounds of it it's gonna be a lot more hassle than it used to be to send someone some money online! I would have to do about 3 steps total the old way, now it's double that!

Plus it says it doesn't do anything with the info, doesn't connect to the computer etc - so how in the hell does it "send" the verification back to Barclays? Wirelessly? What happens if there is a signal drop out? What happens when people learn how to "capture" the wireless signal?

Sounds like a PITA to me! :mad:

8. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,718
    As I mentioned in post #2 its fairly straightforward. Apart from a slightly different way of logging in (type last 4 card digits in one box, followed by 8 numbers generated by the PINsentry card reader in another box) the online banking is exactly the same as it was before, including making payments.

On your other points ... that's just a paranoia mate - 'it' doesn't send anything back, you do. ;)

I find it a POP rather than a PITA ;)

9. steptoe

steptoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    i sent an email about identity theft to my mate the other day .
    this was the reply i got:
    Hi
    Well that e-mail is a bit spooky as I have had my debit card used to buy stuff on the internet and by phone in the last couple of weeks and it has never been out of my wallet!
    I got a letter from Barclays listing some stuff that had been (tried to) been bought but had been declined, phone Barclays straight away.
    It seems that somone had bought airline tickets £1250 not declined, flowers£340 declined and a few more bits and bobs also declined.
    All that is showing up on my online bank statment is £2.60 experian returned and £14 Strawberry (cosmetics).
    They say i will get it all back.
    How the hell somone got my number is a mystery as i have only used it for goods purchace about 3 times in the last year the rest of the time i use the hole in the wall at the coop and pay cash, anyway they are sending me my own personal card swiper, every time i log into online banking i have to swipe my card to generate a unique code.

so there you go it might be a pain but it is more of a pain if something happens ,i havnt got a card reader but if looks like it wont be long before it is common practice
    ps i cut out the boring bit about us planning a night out on the lash i didnt want to bore you all:D

10. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    As mentioned by Anjo, the Nat West unit is very easy to use, and not intrusive.

You only need the machine when you add payee's to your payments list. Once you have a payee set up, you don't need the machine when making payments. :)

11. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    Barclays home page says the same thing (which makes sense) but then actually insists I use the card reader to log in. :rolleyes:

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Morning Steve. Thankfully the Nat West one doesn't, otherwise it might have had a hammer taken to it by now :D

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i've got one with Natwest and although i only have to use it to add payees, i still think it's intrusive and uneccessary. I've already remembered my pin number and an uber long password to get in, why should i have to use a bloody calculator to create a payment?

Inevitably my wallet is somewhere else in the house so i have to go and get that, and if i'm at work it delays any payments i want to make by a day cos i can't do them till the evening

I think it defeats the object of internet banking which i should be able to do from anywhere, without having to carry around a tacky piece of plastic with me.

I'm considering leaving Natwest for Abbey anyway as i can get 6% in the current account, and this is just another reason to do it.

14. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I have to disagree with you to be honest. Having spent many years in banking (and seeing it decline into the crappy bullying sales culture its become today), for everyone of you, there are 2 that do not protect their details.

I can't remember how many pin numbers I've seen scratched on cards. Or how many people loose their wallets/purses/bags where pin numbers have been written on paper or in diaries. The same happens with internet passwords and to be fair to the banks, a huge amount of money is lost by customers being negligent.

As the reader is only needed to add a new payee, how many times will it be needed 'on the move?'. Far better that you have a simple device that prevents anyone who happened to get access to your account making a large transfer (the current limit is £10,000 I believe) surely?

I do agree that if it was needed to log in to an account, that would be intrusive and very annoying.

I would also add that all the banks have problems in one form or another. Abbey isn't a clearing bank for example, so I would never have a current account with them. Current banking seems to be a case of 'better the devil you know' in most cases. :)

15. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    well for me at least, it's an annoyance. I don't have passwords written anywhere as i have a superb memory for codes, i actually have different passwords for every single website/service i'm signed up to and i can normally remember them all

actually twice this week it's delayed me from making bank transfers to forum members which in turn delays by a day when they receive the funds and so could delay them shipping the item to me. Not a big deal really i suppose, but to me, uneccessary. They should let users opt-out of the service as long as they sign a disclaimer for reduced fraud cover or something.

what's a clearing bank by the way? cheers :)

16. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    I also have accounts with Nationwide. They have just announced that they are also going to a card reader in March. I suspect that these will be implemented across the board sooner rather than later.

I guess the primary reason for this is it should defeat the potential for corruption of call centre or other bank staff that have access to your login details.

17. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    oh and i agree with you about the bullying sales culture. EVERY time i make any sort of contact with Natwest they're trying to get me to switch to a bank account where i get monthly fees.. why would anyone do that, they're already using my money to finance things, they should be paying me! And 0.01% interest doesn't count!!

and just recently they're trying to get me to invest my money better than leaving it in the esavings account but can't even guarantee me 6.3% return which i can get by switching to icici.. and every time they say they're going to put a note on my account to say i've spoken to them, and yet every time i phone up i get the same spiel...

18. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    Hi Chris.

I'm seriously contemplating carrying one of those small hammers for breaking car windows in an emergency with me at all times. "Unexpected item in baggage area" - "Ouch"! :D

19. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,718
    Marc - they'll all be doing it eventually, and I've expressed some thoughts on Abbey below. I do all my online banking early morning before work; always on my personal laptop; and usually take the laptop away with me along with necessary gadgets like a banking card reader if I'm out of the house for more than a day or two. I don't really mind the minor inconvenience as its added security, and its certainly not like the old days queuing in banks at lunch times behind some old dear changing all her coppers and carrying bills, cheques and other bits of paper that I might lose (and I have done so in the past :suicide:)
    I've found Abbey (or Banco Santander :rolleyes:) to be the worst offender there ... changed my address with them only to be cornered into getting a home insurance quote, and then having an argument because they didn't believe I had a cheaper quote, and I should take their policy because of the cooling off period (I presume so the individual could still pocket some commission :rolleyes:)

20. PinheadedMike

PinheadedMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    I got mine from natwest but tried 2 Bank Transfer after i got it and they both got returned abot 3 days later:mad: So havent used it since

21. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    nationwide as well
    nightmare that means im going to have bloody 2 of these now :rolleyes:
    i also have an account with the abbey old fashioned bank book no card no 24 hour cash access not that bad a thing really
    again thanks for all the info guys
    simon:smashin:

22. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    This has nothing to do with the card reader. The card reader is only a method for the online system to confirm the card holder for the account has entered the details.

The payment only works on the account number and sort code you provide, so if the payments were returned there is a problem with the payment itself.

23. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Do you remember the Panorama (I think) program which went undercover in Barclays? It was on a couple of years ago. Bank clerks in tears, being told they're failures. Bullying managers belittling staff who were trying to act honestly. Dodgy sales practices to the vulnerable such as those needing money, or old people with money to save. Traditional proper banking was superb fun many years ago, but its not a good place to be these days.

In fact, this discussion reminds me of the day I decided to leave banking for good. The pressure from 'on high' for sales was extreme. Managers had to attend 4 telephone conferences a day to discuss sales. 9am, 11am, 2pm and 4.30pm. Each lasted around 30 minutes, so 2 hours a day was spent discussing sales. In contrast we had one service meeting a month.

Anyway, like a lot of managers, I used to soak up the pressure from the ivory towers, and treated my team with a lot of respect. On the last conference call of the week on Friday afternoon, my branch had had a great week, 130% of target. I was asked, by the regional manager, who had performed the weakest of all my staff that week. All the staff had sales sheet so I knew they had all achieved above target so thats what I said. I was told quite directly and infront of all the other managers on the call, that I had to put at least one member of staff on a Performance Contract as 'this would keep the others motivated'. I refused. Once you fall out of line in that sort of culture, you know you should start looking for another job fairly soon :D

24. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,917
    There was a whistle blower programme on recently which exposed Barclays- was shocked by it, my service with them has been pretty good so no complaints.

25. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    i dont see a problem with writing numbers on a bit of paper, infact i see it as an added security measure. i have 3 cards in my wallet and 4 pin numbers written on a piece of paper tucked in with them. only thing is those 4 pin numbers have no relevance to me whatsoever, so when people try to use them (which they will do as they think theyve hit the jackpot) they will end up disabling my cards :smashin:

however i doubt anyone will get my cards as if ever im in a crowded area my hands stay in my pockets protecting my wallet and phones.

always check cash machines for "extras" if i have to use one and always use the same garage for petrol

if people dont look after their money they are asking to be robbed. people just need to make themselves more aware about what they are dealing with

i got all excited about this new natwest reader thinking it would be a usb card reader to automatically log me on. no just a security key generator :(

26. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    If I read this correctly, you aren't in fact writing the correct pin numbers down, which is fine, and not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who do write their actual pin numbers on bits of paper and keep them with the card

27. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    but do you know they are writing down the correct number? have you tried it? ;)

though i do admit i have seen one or two people reading a pin off a peice of paper, but i presume they were using someone elses card for them as i have done for others before

28. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    :rotfl: no, unfortunately not. If someone reports fraudulent cash taken from their account via an ATM, the chances of the crook guessing the pin is remote, so the customer has to tell you how they got the pin as well.

The other favourite is parents who give their cards to their kids to withdraw cash for them, and then want the bank to compensate them when the kids decide the 'one for you, one for me' rule works quite well when using an ATM. :)

29. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I've had a Nat West one a while now and at first thought it was a pain but hardly need to use it now all payees are entered, and i allways know where my bank card is...................in the reader :nono:

30. PinheadedMike

PinheadedMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    Ive never had problems before only started since i have been using this card reader and i always double check account details and number given from card reader:thumbsup: And i know details where right as i paid over the counter with same details and no probs:D