Bank Holidays

hahaha Labour and it's say anything to get people to vote for them eh :facepalm:

Can Companies afford them? But who doesn't want more holidays.

I know. But it's almost as if there's a general election coming up and Labour are perhaps chasing votes by promising extra days off :rolleyes: - As you also say, how are we as a nation going to actually fund this idea?

I know. But it's almost as if there's a general election coming up and Labour are perhaps chasing votes by promising extra days off :rolleyes: - As you also say, how are we as a nation going to actually fund this idea?
Maybe a test, How well do you know your patron saint....
Happy St George's day.

Interesting whether they would change the law to revise the minimum entitlement. Currently, in the UK you are entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid leave if you work 5 or more days per week. Note that if you work less than 5 days the amount is pro-rated, but if you work more it is not.

Also note that a company does not have to give you bank holidays off, they just have to make sure that you get 28 days in total minimum.

Now have labour said that if we get the extra 4 days bank holiday then the statutory minimum will rise to 32 or will it stay at 28 or is it unclear.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think we have the fewest in Western Europe.

Since strictly we have 0 - see above, employers are not obliged to let you have those days off. But they are built into our minum total package which is 28.

If you look at total days per country we may not be the worst in Europe, but probably are because I think the 20 days minimum might be an EU directive.

Here is a map showing the national holidays.

IMG_0421.JPG

As you can see, even if you say that we have 8 it is still the lowest in the EU.

Cheers,

Nigel

Interesting whether they would change the law to revise the minimum entitlement. Currently, in the UK you are entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid leave if you work 5 or more days per week. Note that if you work less than 5 days the amount is pro-rated, but if you work more it is not.

Also note that a company does not have to give you bank holidays off, they just have to make sure that you get 28 days in total minimum.

Now have labour said that if we get the extra 4 days bank holiday then the statutory minimum will rise to 32 or will it stay at 28 or is it unclear.

Cheers,

Nigel

Interesting point, especially for someone as I who works shifts and of course bank holidays when rostered in. Just saying four extra bank holidays without the specific details in practice is a very poor show.

As you also say, how are we as a nation going to actually fund this idea?

Reducing the 350+ million we give away in foreign aid to countries like Pakistan could be one way of doing this (Pakistan have nuclear weapons..) We give away just shy of 350 million to countries like Ethiopia as well so they can finance girl bands using the money government "donates". There is plenty of ways in which the bank holidays can be funded.

Can't see many contractors celebrating the opportunity to lose another four days pay.

Can't see many contractors celebrating the opportunity to lose another four days pay.

Does anything actually stop them working/billing?

They managed to escape the NI hike that all the permies got lumbered with.

I took a £800 salary hit to pay to contribute to SERPS pension that I am not entitled to and won't receive.

Cheers,

Nigel

Does anything actually stop them working/billing?
Can't speak for everyone but I've always been prevented from working Bank Holidays.

They managed to escape the NI hike that all the permies got lumbered with.
Not sure what that's got to do with Bank Holidays, other than their four days pay probably exceeds your £800 if we're playing Top Trumps? ;)

Can't speak for everyone but I've always been prevented from working Bank Holidays.

It will vary by arrangement, but there is nothing particularly stopping it. I always billed for whatever work I did.

Ahhhh capitalism we work more hours than a medieval peasant but at least we have more trinkets [emoji106]

Reducing the 350+ million we give away in foreign aid to countries like Pakistan could be one way of doing this (Pakistan have nuclear weapons..) We give away just shy of 350 million to countries like Ethiopia as well so they can finance girl bands using the money government "donates". There is plenty of ways in which the bank holidays can be funded.

So you think the Labour are going to pay your wages for those extra days?

Labour will once again fudge up the small business' in the UK.
The have some superb ideas that I think everyone would agree with, the problem is not everyone stops and thinks it through properly.

Labour will once again fudge up the small business' in the UK.

Between this and the £10 minimum wage idea, it becomes clear Labour have resigned themselves to defeat in the upcoming election and are merely trying to stave off any threat from the Libs by trying to steal some of their student voters. :)

£10 minimum wage would put me out of business.
I only turn over around half a million a year, profit for the last 3 years was £12, £26k and £16k.

£10 an hour would cost me £20,380 extra each year.

My rates have gone up £7,000 this year alone, which once again me and my wife have taken a pay cut to swallow it.

I'm always up for more time off work, but this isn't feasible and would cripple the economy. What he doesn't tell you is he will probably abolish 4 other bank holidays as well. I can't vote for someone who is so desperately trying to get votes at any cost. Plus he is a pacifist. I ain't a Tory supporter but I can't vote labour while Corbyn is in office either.

As you can see, even if you say that we have 8 it is still the lowest in the EU.

"Public holidays in the UK are non-working holidays, which is partially compensated by the fact that workers are entitled to 28 days of annual leave, the highest rate in Europe."

Stop moaning and get back to work you workshy bugger! :)

£10 minimum wage would put me out of business.
I only turn over around half a million a year, profit for the last 3 years was £12, £26k and £16k.

£10 an hour would cost me £20,380 extra each year.

My rates have gone up £7,000 this year alone, which once again me and my wife have taken a pay cut to swallow it.

Blame big business. they want the minimum wage as it helps to get rid of businesses like yours helping them to make even more profit whilst their minimum wage employees are subsidised with working tax credits and the like. This then allows the politicians to claim that they have done an astounding job in getting unemployment down to record levels making it a win win situation :thumbsup:

If I was you I would be hoping even asking for the minimum wage to be higher as it may end up benefiting you ;)

"Public holidays in the UK are non-working holidays, which is partially compensated by the fact that workers are entitled to 28 days of annual leave, the highest rate in Europe."

Stop moaning and get back to work you workshy bugger! :)

That is not correct. Even when considering the combined paid holidays, the UK is still at the back of the queue.

20160217_Paid_Leave_Ind (2).jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom