Bank Holidays -is it time to get rid of them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

Considering the origins of the bank holiday, the banks influence in this downturn, the bankers and their bonuses, and the banks and the public bail out, should Bank Holidays be scrapped altogether? Not only that but I'd certainly welcome those Fridays where there isn't an almighty snarl up on the road system. Just give people the extra days to take when they want. Sod the banks, let them work Mondays.

Last edited by a moderator:
What and no double time, no chance.

No.

I assume you aren't including Christmas, Easter etc in the 'booo the banks' holidays?

Mr Incredible, you do realise the majority of the working population also have bank holiday weekends off and not just 'bankers' :confused: Others also do so by extension; school children for example

It's equally not really viable to say people can take the equivalent day off whenever they want as there is too much uncertainty

I would welcome that. It would also remove the negative impact they have on businesses.

Except tourist businesses. For a lot of tourist firms I bet today will be their biggest day of the year, and those extra takings wouldn't be replicated if people had free-choice of holidays.

Except tourist businesses. For a lot of tourist firms I bet today will be their biggest day of the year, and those extra takings wouldn't be replicated if people had free-choice of holidays.
OK I can accept that. I was leaning more towards manufacturing. But having said that, one rainy bank holiday can ruin the tourism scenario.

Yep - hopefully they take out some weather insurance :)

I assume you aren't including Christmas, Easter etc in the 'booo the banks' holidays?

"Bank holidays are often assumed to be so called because they are days upon which banks are shut, but days that banks are shut aren't always bank holidays. For example: Good Friday and Christmas Day are not bank holidays, they are common law' holidays. The dates for bank holidays are set out in statute or are proclaimed by royal decree. The term "bank holiday" was coined by Sir John Lubbock, who felt there was a need to differentiate the two types of holiday."

It seems to be an old anachronism which should be relegated to the bins IMO. I'd rather choose the days I have off rather than suffer the interminable bank holiday weekend rush and bun fights.

So your reasoning is that only 'bank' holidays cause traffic problems? :p

Although one can get unpredictable snarl ups from time to time, I can guarantee the M6 north from Stafford through to Lancashire will be a nightmare on bank holidays.

What and no double time, no chance.

Exactly, some people who have to work these days make decent money in doing so, it makes working a job with long hours like mine worth doing, i work shift work 12 hour day shifts and nights, im lucky enough to recieve x 3 rate for these days, out of 10 bank holidays this year i am working 9, so it goes a extremely long way to supporting my family.

God no, Mr I.
In fact, I want more.

It would also remove the negative impact they have on businesses.

We already work more hours than most of Europe the last I read and I don't see how we're better off for it, so stuff business.
I find it quite depressing that everything is about business and money these days :( and some things are just more important.
More family/together time being one of them, imo.
We've already pretty much lost our Sundays, after all.

I think the argument is to to remove bank holidays but to keep the same holiday entitlement, so make them free-choice.

Of course it's all a bit of a moot point as companies have no obligation that I am aware of to treat bank-holidays any differently to any other day - they just have to give you 12 (or something) days off per year, which can include bank hols.

i think the only holidays that need to be scrapped are the school holidays, especially the 6 weeks ones, or at least just scrap the 6 week one and leave all the others

i think some bank holidays should also be scrapped, but only some, like is there not loads in may i think?

Nope.

We could do with a few more to even things up a bit with the rest of Europe.

Might spread the load a bit more on the Motorways too:D

i think the only holidays that need to be scrapped are the school holidays, especially the 6 weeks ones, or at least just scrap the 6 week one and leave all the others

i think some bank holidays should also be scrapped, but only some, like is there not loads in may i think?

No, just two as per usual.
It only seemed like that because of the Royal wedding, which threw an extra one in (link)
It's hardly a lot is it?
Also Scotland and Ireland get more than us as we don't even get St George's day :thumbsdow

I think the argument is to to remove bank holidays but to keep the same holiday entitlement, so make them free-choice.

Of course it's all a bit of a moot point as companies have no obligation that I am aware of to treat bank-holidays any differently to any other day - they just have to give you 12 (or something) days off per year, which can include bank hols.

Four weeks plus eight days (next year it's nine days.

Nope.

We could do with a few more to even things up a bit with the rest of Europe.

Might spread the load a bit more on the Motorways too:D

Agreed.

I think I'd vote for anyone that proposed that every Monday should be made a bank holiday :laugh:

I've worked every bank holiday this year due to the fact I've been rostered in, and if anything we should have more bank holidays like other European countries.

This isn't about money as I don't get paid extra for working them it's about quality of life and spending time with your family if you don't have to work them

It seems to be an old anachronism which should be relegated to the bins IMO. I'd rather choose the days I have off rather than suffer the interminable bank holiday weekend rush and bun fights.
Why not ditch weekends and take off what week days you like?

Bank holidays and weekends means you and your family are all likely to enjoy the same time off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom