Quantcast

Bank holiday pay

tim68

hi all. Hope someone can help. Do companys have the right to refuse to pay bank holidays (inc xmas hols) if you do not go in to work the day before or the day after. Thanks for your time.

Regards

Tim

tim68

In what context Tim? Are you part time, off sick, on disciplinary, on holiday?
Hi Pual. thanks for the reply. We have been told today that we have to work xmas eve. So said to the guy working next to me that I could phone in sick. He then said that they have the right to refuse pay for the holidays over xmas. Does that make sense.

Tim

Paul_HDLover

Hi Pual. thanks for the reply. We have been told today that we have to work xmas eve. So said to the guy working next to me that I could phone in sick. He then said that they have the right to refuse pay for the holidays over xmas. Does that make sense.

Tim
Doesnt sound right to me. My understanding is that your annual pay, includes public holidays, which would mean that if you called in sick on Xmas eve you would get sick pay, SSP or perhaps 100% if your employer allows it and Xmas day would be calculated as normal i.e. factored in to your yearly pay divided by 12. How can you not get paid for it if you have no option to work it?

Sounds like a pile of [email protected] to me.

unique

it depends on what your contract says, but no-one is entitled to any holiday days in particular by statutory law, thus you don't have to be allowed to take any days off like public or bank holidays

if you call in sick on a day then your absence/sick procedure takes affect, but if you are taking the following day as a holiday day from your annual leave entitlement you should be paid for it

what may be the case which is confusing matters is the right to be paid a higher than normal rate for working unsociable days and hours

your best course of action is to confirm things with your line manager and/or union representative, or you can discuss your personal contract with ACAS

without knowing the full details of your contract it's difficult for anyone to give a simple answer

RuddyRoad

What a cheek !! You make it sound like the company is trying to put one over on you, when in fact you are asking for advice on what might happen if you decide to con your company, by pulling a sickie...(which is stealing)

...you should be ashamed of yourself, :lesson::lesson:

Yours

Robin Cooper :D

tim68

They are not a good company to work for as it is because about three months ago they made about 20 people redundant, lack of orders the say, then when orders did pick up they got in polish temps.

tim68

What a cheek !! You make it sound like the company is trying to put one over on you, when in fact you are asking for advice on what might happen if you decide to con your company, by pulling a sickie...(which is stealing)

...you should be ashamed of yourself, :lesson::lesson:

Yours

Robin Cooper :D
Hi Robin. We do not get sick pay for the first three days so not exactly stealing by pulling a sickie for one day.

EDIT. did not read your post properly. sorry mate

Tim

thefragile

Hi Robin. We do not get sick pay for the first three days so not exactly stealing by pulling a sickie for one day.

EDIT. did not read your post properly. sorry mate

Tim
thats cos polish temps work twice as hard for half the money......

on a more serious note i'd tell my employer to **** right off if they did that to me!

Alan_W

thats cos polish temps work twice as hard for half the money......

on a more serious note i'd tell my employer to **** right off if they did that to me!
They probably got the poles in because they don't phone in sick when they are not :lesson:

thefragile

they probably got the poles in because they're prepared ridiculous hours for no pay and dont care about their legal rights.

Isnt the day off worth it whether they pay or not?
BTW, I have worked for companies before who have refused to pay sick pay on days they know people will do it.

williemaykit

Companies are within their rights to do so but many are pretty relaxed around public holidays. I know of quite a few well known companies that enforce such policies. My last employer, a company owned by Britain's most well known billionaire, had policies such as if you go sick whilst on probation, then you don't get paid (probation can be up to 12 months) as well as the same one as yours tim re public holidays and sick leave.

I would suggest people turn up for Christmas and the gap between Boxing Day and New Years, not in fear of retribution but because you tend to sweet FA and get paid for it.

Geege

It seems a shame to pull a sickie just because you don't want to work a bank holiday, as this undermines the whole work ethos and isn't particular fair to other hard-working colleagues who do come into work that day. Some people (like me) have to work on bank holidays a lot of the time and don't get a say, it is part and parcel of the job I do and I accept that.

As for employment rights seek advice from your citizens advice or read up on this website.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/bank-public-holidays/faq/page18878.html

Alan_W

Christmas Eve is not a bank Holiday :confused:

G

GavinSmith

they probably got the poles in because they're prepared ridiculous hours for no pay and dont care about their legal rights.
Not in my experience. They are usually well aware of their rights but just aren't scared of a little hard work.

JonMace

All depended on how your annual leave is set up if you get 24 days pro rata and you also get paid the Bank holidays in addition then the employer is well within their rights to not pay under those conditions.

If in the other hand you are forced to take the Bank holidays out of your leave entitlement then they have to pay it.

As regards to sick pay I only ever pay SSP and only after the first 3 days, unless I send the employee home, this way my staff do not take the p***

Jon

mrtbag

Novice Member
I think your employer would have been better off making you one of the last redundancy candidates.

andykn

Novice Member
As regards to sick pay I only ever pay SSP and only after the first 3 days, unless I send the employee home, this way my staff do not take the p***

Jon
...and come in when they are ill and contagious and spread it to the rest of the workforce. And are unproductive and error prone producing sub standard work.

mrtbag

Novice Member
...and come in when they are ill and contagious and spread it to the rest of the workforce. And are unproductive and error prone producing sub standard work.
Or just can't be bothered, as the OP has clearly stated.

At our work, we ask people to turn up at least. If you are ill, I'll let you go home. Anything more serious that means you can't get into the office, would usually require more than 5 days off, in which case a doctors note will be provided.

D

Deleted member 13294

In my experience, a significant number of sick days are bogus.

But it doesn't really matter whether they are or not. It is completely up to the employer to decide whether it is more productive to discourage sickness and have the potential effects you mention, or to be more liberal and have more sickness days.

Simon_143

At our work, we ask people to turn up at least. If you are ill, I'll let you go home. Anything more serious that means you can't get into the office, would usually require more than 5 days off, in which case a doctors note will be provided.
So do you give your staff a medical examine before deciding if they are sick enough to be sent home then ?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Anything more serious that means you can't get into the office, would usually require more than 5 days off, in which case a doctors note will be provided.
Nope, the first 6 days are self cert, after 6 days, a doctors note is required.

mrtbag

Novice Member
So do you give your staff a medical examine before deciding if they are sick enough to be sent home then ?
I didn't say I sent them home. If they want to take the day off sick they can, just come and tell me face to face if possible. We also have 'back to work' interviews for any instance of sick not supported by a doctors note.

mrtbag

Novice Member
Nope, the first 6 days are self cert, after 6 days, a doctors note is required.
For SSP is it 7 days, but this includes Saturday and Sunday, which we don't work. So our company use the 5 'working day' rule.

From HMRC Web:

If you are sick for more than 7 days, your employer may ask you for a medical certificate
from your doctor. Medical certificates are also called sick notes or Doctor’s statements.

mjn

Distinguished Member
For SSP is it 7 days, but this includes Saturday and Sunday, which we don't work. So our company use the 5 'working day' rule.

From HMRC Web:
Isn't that what i said?

0-6 Days, self cert, 7 > Doctors note.

dognosh

Novice Member
I didn't say I sent them home. If they want to take the day off sick they can, just come and tell me face to face if possible. We also have 'back to work' interviews for any instance of sick not supported by a doctors note.
what do you do if it is something not visible that also makes the patient "Bed ridden" like severe migrain ? reason I ask is they won't be able to come in and it can go away in hours/a few days so no doctors note ?
(I don't get migrains, but am curious)
==============
to the OP, If they are a crap company then find another job:)
==============
regarding holidays, we get 25 days + all the bank hols as "Paid Holidays" , but terrible wages; Sick days are below average at our place of work, and there is no "Hitler Regime" :D when we are sick, we phone in and that is that:)

andykn

Novice Member
Or just can't be bothered, as the OP has clearly stated.

And of course, having a cold doesn't affect your ability to drive safely at all. Or infect every one on the bus/train on the way in and back.

And why is the OP so poorly motivated? I'll bet there's plenty of well paid people at his work whose much larger salary is precisely to provide that motivation.