Bank holiday bargain

freeman3030

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Our faithful 50" plasma has finally started showing its age and there's a red line down the centre of the screen. Sometimes it's obviously noticeable, in other scenes it's barely visible.
Anyhow, I've decided to upgrade but TVs have changed in the last 8 years!
I've certainly decided to opt for a 4k TV, it just makes sense, but i don't know what to choose with regards to HDR (i take it's better to have it) go have edge led or bottom led? It's so confusing!
We have sky Q so I'm not fussed with having on demand services and YouTube, but I'd really like a 60"+ TV.
I saw a Samsung TV on cirrus for about £780 but there was another for £800 with a 65x screen but was by a brand called hisense... It seems to rate quite highly, but not sure how good it would be.
We just use the TV for watching TV, rarely watch films, but sometimes play on the xbox one. So long as the viewing angles are ok, do you think this would be a go-er?

LG 65" B6, C6 or E6 OLED. Anything else will be disappointing after a plasma.

Because all LCDs look the same. A bit grey, low contrast, and smeary in motion by comparison. Plasma and OLED both produce a much more realistic image simply because they can do darker blacks. LCDs generally have to cheat by reducing the backlight level to get decent darks into the image, which of course results in poor white levels. They can't do both at the same time, in other words. Both plasma and OLED can.

In fact plasma even now has advantages over even OLED in the way it portrays motion, but you can't buy plasma any more (because it can't do 4K in these screen sizes) and OLED is by far the best display tech on the market right now.

Thanks so much for the comprehensive response. I've spent most of today thinking and researching TVs. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to stretch to an OLED TV as much as I would like one. Which leaves me with LCD. I was initially drawn to the 65" hisense tv purely because it's a big screen, UHD and HDR... it seemed to review quite wee; but found a couple of reviews saying that anything other than 4K wasn't that good and the image appeared blotchy and that when watching football it's a bit hazey/ghosty.
The trouble is, if I opt for a similarly priced LG or Samsung, I've not guarantee that I won't have the same problem. Most of the 60" TVs in the £700-£900 appear to only have 50Hz screens... I'm just baffled by the numbers and don't really know what to buy. I'm half tempted to poke up with the vertical red line on my current TVs because I don't know what to choose!

Display Hz means nothing, it's marketing crap on an LCD which doesn't flicker anyway. You sure you can't stretch to a low end LG OLED? It's worth it. Hisense, well, best you can say about them is "cheap"..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom