1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bank Debit card rip-off charges... The *******

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SanPedro, Aug 6, 2005.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    My own fault this...

But a warning to anyone else going abroad... don't use your debit card for small amounts on holiday. The banks lift your trousers for £1.50 a time. PLUS anything up to 2.5% of the amount. Scumbags. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Or at least mine does. I remember getting charged in the past for cash withdrawals but not for debit card purchases. So this year I thought I'd use the debit card more. Big mistake. Some uses were for really small amounts - like the Toll roads in France. It's probably gonna cost me nearly £40 in fees.

Guess who's going to be switching there account to the Nationwide in the very near future. The only bank who does NOT charge a flat fee on debit cards.

2. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OUCH!

Without wanting to name names... are you with Barclays?

Kev

3. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    They are under investigation for this and other Rip Off Charges. I have been reading about it in the papers.

It may even happen that they they will be forced into abandoning these practices. Other examples are charging £20 for going as little as one penny over an agreed overdraft limit, they have all sorts of pathetic excuses for doing so, but it is being perceived as grossly unfair and may be stopped.

One things for sure though, if they are forced into stopping these and other nasty ways of removing money from people who can ill afford it. As sure as night follows day, they will find other ways of keeping their shareholders happy. I used to think usury was a crime, the banks have demonstrated otherwise. :nono: :nono: :nono:

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Quite happy to name Halifax Bank as the Dick Turpin in question.

Had a quick trawl on Google yesterday and it seems Nationwide are one (if not the only) who don't charge this £1.50 a time scam.

5. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    HSBC are the same.

when i was in spain last month a was charged 1.50 when i used a machine to get some more euros. I knew i was going to get charged - it was me being lazy and thats why they do it.

Dal

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    They are all the same except for Nationwide as already stated...Hence I made the change...Also I quite like the Nationwide is VISA Debit instead of Maestro/Cirrus, much better acceptance anywhere without running up a credit-card bill...

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So the Nationwide Flex account (currect account) will not incur any charges anywhere around the world for using you card to buy something abroad? Obviously other than the thing you bought :p

8. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    You may get a local charge, but the Nationwide do not charge you a fee. So the exchange rate you get is very close to the bank rate rather than the tourist rate :)