1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bang & olufsen

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sodgob, Jul 24, 2005.

1. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am contemplating treating myself to the new B & O beovision 7 . & looking to hear from anyone with B & O experience ...help !

2. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I dont have a Beovision 7 but I do have a Beovision 3 32" crt and I am delighted with it. Picture and sound quality is superb. My brother has just bought a Panasonic Viera - which I know is a plasma whereas the BV7 is LCD I believe- and he still says the BV3 picture is way better than the Panny.(So do I but I dont have the heart to tell him....)I also love the look of the B&O too, although the panny is smart. I know this is not really much help to you in deciding to go for the B&O but I can recommend B&O tellys,except for the price- ouch!!! If you decide to go for B&O you have to be prepared to have the product for quite a while if you are to get your monies worth. Do you already have any other B&O kit? The Beo4 remote that comes with the telly is gorgeous and will controll just about anything in the B&O range from about 1990 onwards. I even have mine dimming the lights too.
    One thing. Does the BV7 have connections for HDTV? I think this will be with us soon and it may be worth asking. Sorry, dont know much else about the BV7. Maybe your dealer will give you a home demo.
    Hope this helps you decide.
    Cheers.
    S.

3. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

b&o brand make a mighty fine product.
    but the plasma is what ,nearly £10k?
    but for what?
    its not hd ready!
    with your budget you could get the best 50' plasma, high quality sound and scaler ,dvd and isf cal' and probably still have change.
    its great to look at but................

another opinion you may want seek is horneydragons'

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Alternatively look at the Loewe stuff - B&Oesque, but at a price more of us can stretch to.

5. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    sorry mate ,
    made a huge mistake with the models(why cant they give them names!)
    the 32 lcd is an ok product but its not going to be as good as the avant/beo3.
    how far out i cant say.
    if i had a beo3 and i was happy with it ,i'd stick with it for a little while.
    theres a lot good(claimed) stuff coming in shortly.
    come oct/nov your going to have lots of choice.
    be patient.

6. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,
    I have just had a look at the Beovision7 on the official B&O website.(Very slick presentation I must say, pretty much what you would expect from them anyway.) Gorgeous looking tv but not so sure about the speaker underneath being wider than the set itself, it looks a little odd. They say the speaker is very powerful. Maybe it is also going to be used for a bigger set in the future- the same size as the speaker. This is just my personal observation but I have not seen the set in the flesh so may be I am being a little unfair. Last time I went into a B&O store it cost be over £2K so I am steering clear at the mo!
    Let us know what you decide.
    S.

PS How much is the BV7? Just curious........

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    What'd you do, walk out with 4 BeoCom2's at £500 a pop?

From the side angle the image on the site is taken at, it does look a tad hideous. Certainly nothing as slick as the BeoVision (? - sorry forget model #) slide out speakers.

8. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I really do find it hard to believe why anyone would buy a B&O product to be honest. Ok they look 'fancy' (I would call it an aquired taste) but underneath all the gloss its rubbish compared to the cutting edge stuff from Pioneer/Panasonic/etc etc costing peanuts in comparison and outperforming the B&O stuff something stupid.

B&O = Lifestyle and nothing more....

IMO of course ;)

9. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt call it rubbish - it's certainly very good.
    it is however not as good as the price would lead you to expect.
    their plasma costing 4 times as much as another brand will not be 4 times better - if better at all.

you're paying for the design, not the technology.

for a rich person who wants a decent quality with major user friendliness it's the brand to buy.

but i dont think that's the average person here.

10. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errr no. Bought myself a Beovision3 crt because I thought it had one of the best pictures around at the time.... and still do. LCD and plasma catching up I agree, but not there yet imho.
    Agree about the BV7 and speaker though, really not sure about that.

11. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know at least 2 people who still use B&O equipment dating from the 70,s and early 80's as their hifi today. It still sounds and looks terrific imo.
    1. Would anything from Pioneer/Panasonic etc still actually be working after all that time?
    2.If is was it would,I think, look gaudy and extremely dated.Just a pile of black and grey plastic boxes,pretty much like a lot of cheaper audio equipment today.
    I agree B&O is overpriced but I certainly do not think it is rubbish. If it was that bad they would go out of business overnight.
    Any other B&O fans here before I get mauled to death. ;)
    S.

12. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&O has a timeless style and elegance the rest of manufacturers can only dream of.

They normally take cutting edge technology and tweak it to perform,(as do Loewe), with stunning results.

They are a bit off the pace at the mo, but the styling is second to none, and as safin says it is built to last.

13. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    But its just an out of date philips screen in a fancy casing!

14. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys , thanks so much for your input . problem i have is that i suffer from a lot of reflection where my set is placed . have had a demo of a panny plasma 37" 500.. too big & still bad on reflection. tried a mates 26" panny lcd & solved the reflection problem. so have to be an lcd . Safin..i have arranged a home demo in a couple of weeks ..will keep you posted, thanks. i currently have a loewe 32"crt planus which i am looking to sell at a bargain price ! excellent picture but in new home get a bad reflection...so looking for a buyer . thanks again guys . much appreciated.

15. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Use the for sale section to let members know it's available.
    Or eBay of course.
    Maybe your local Loewe dealer would do a deal, or has that been discussed and dismissed?!

16. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,
    My B&O came with an anti reflective screen which seems to work well. Does Loewe offer such an option and if so can it be retro fitted? Just a thought as you have an excellent tv at the moment and it seems a shame to sell it just because of reflections.I wouldnt rush to get ANY lcd tv just yet seeing as you have such a great tv already. Enjoy your demo from B&O but I would think carefully before splashing out on such an expensive lcd telly ( What am I saying!!!) :eek:
    Please let me know how you get on.
    Cheers.
    S.

BTW Loewe was my 2nd choice after B&O

17. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    loewe does ofer this option.
    if i'm right its only on the higher models(spheros)
    if i were you i would not buy a loewe as they are upgrading the chassis in sept'.(2650)
    also, they claim that this chassis offers a major improvement on the last,(image+) so i feel that you should seriously wait as its good money your spending.
    good luck

18. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi saffin , thanks for your comments , loewe dont offer a retro fit to this model. i have often window shopped B&O but made the mistake a few weeks ago of finally crossing the threshold of a B&O shop & falling in love. they are also showing me a set up of 4 off beo3 speakers so i'll keep you posted .
    i do however need to firstly find a buyer for my loewe . Pjskell has suggested i try in the for sale section...i will try find it & go from there .thanks once again all .

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL
    Where do you think B&O source their kit? B&O design and have made some of the most stylish and best performing equipment on the market but the Plasmas, LCDs etc all come frfom a Large Far Eastern corporation which has the manufacturing and R&D facilities................... What makes your post really silly is the fact that both manufacturers who quote supply OEM kit to B&O

20. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hornydragon,
    I think us B&O fans are in a small minority on this forum- but I expected that anway! Plenty of Beo bashing here no doubt. I just smile every time I turn on my tv, watch the electronic curtains open and know that I am getting superb picture and sound quality from any source be it digital, terestrial or dvd. I like the stb controller that came with the set, this means my old philips 'on digital' box can be hidden out of sight and controlled with the Beo4. How many other manufactures offer such an option? ( Got a dinalight dimmer working off the Beo4 too!)
    Sodgob- big mistake walking in to a B&O store and getting hooked like that. Could be expensive!!! :)
    Enjoy.
    S.

21. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Hit a nerve mate? :rotfl: ..........have you ever bought a ferrari with a vauxhall engine?

B&O owners have!..............boom boom!

They should stick to what they are good at http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/professionals/professionals.asp?page=yacht

And yes I have auditioned a lot of B&O equipment and no im not a fan.....just incase anyone asks...

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I am not a B&O owner but am ex B&O sales/installation B&O doesnt compete with Panasonic and Pioneer but with Ferrari/Mercedes and Rolex as well as Sandals and other top end luxury goods.

Besides its a Fiat engine in a ferrari.................................

Safin the STB conrtoller will also cotrol a Panny TU-CT20 or 30 and Pacetwin (may need upgrade) when you get fed up of philips box or it dies

23. safin

safin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hornydragon,
    You must be reading my mind! My philips stb IS on the way out. It is taking longer to change channel and freezing up quite regularly so thanks for that info.This was always the problem with these boxes anyway so an upgrade is definately overdue.Thanks.
    Back now to turn on my, let me think now...., E type Jag with Ferrari engine maybe...( classic lines with even better performance... :) )
    Thanks again.
    S.
    ;)