1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bang & Olufsen vs Sony Wega?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by matty1971, Jul 13, 2004.

1. matty1971

matty1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any personal experience of the Bang & Olufsen new range of TV's - in particular the 32" BeoVision Avant or the 32" BeoVision 3...? Are they really worth the money?

Or would I be better off spending about 1/3 the cash and going for something like a Sony Wega - possibly the KV36HQ100 or maybe the KV32FQ86...?

Already have a decent surround system and DVD player so that's not really a factor (although I do quite like the minimilist look&feel of the B&O Avant). So should be clear here it's picture quality I'm particularly interested in knowing about...

Matt

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never liked B&O as they are more design friendly than making peak performance products.

I would check out Loewe as they make both great design and peak performance TVs on the market.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmm fashion electronics company, or best of mid market TVs with what is best CRT?

4. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the b&o avant is a top class telly!
    one of the very best!
    but you really have to ask yourself >is it really worth £5000?
    the loewe articos is around £2000-2100+stand,with features unlike any other tv & will put the sony to shame.
    if you can get yourself to like the articos at a demo then you DONT have spend five grand.
    the picture between the articos and the avant is very little,but there is a difference,your eyes will have decide for you.

5. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The avant and the articos both use the same philips tube so i would recommmend the articos, it has the same swivel feature, same tube, same classy looks and the newer ones have built in hard drives which the B & O doesnt! Need any more persuasion?? :smashin:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOEWE are a cheap imatation of B&O, B&O make the best TV pictures anywhere in the world!

Not cheap and slated by people who dont know the product and havent seen them running!
    They are expensive but you do get what you pay for.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Not the same tubes! but made in same factory what is special about B&O is they dont need lots of technological crap to get a good picture, what ever the signal is it looks fantastic.

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loewe cheap imitation?

You really don't know much about Loewe, they make the best TVs on the market and the nicest design of them all.

I used to own several B&Os TVs and they are all crap, crap in the sense that they get a soft and very lousy picture after 2 years of use....

B&O still lives on the 80's hype, today they make pretty lousy products and the design is ancient and not very futuristic, they used to have a nice design 20 years ago, now they are just boring to look at and you can buy the same products much cheaper from another manufacturer.

Loewe is the Rolls-Royce today.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Actually i know a lot about both lizzard B&O are better, they are more expensive but in many ways better in some not (eg if you want VGA on your telly) or you want your telly to intface with your BOSE Lifestyle 50! and your personal media centre. also if you want a white TV on a cube.

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Funny really I have seen both Loewe and B & O and I was underwhelmed - but then I don't like 100Hz processing.

If someone offered a straight swap for my 4 3/4 year old 50Hz Wega I would refuse as I think the picture on my old 50Hz TV is better - more natural ect - just needs tweaking and usage of RGB.

11. andi

andi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - I don't mean to be rude, but this is just your opinion. I can't understand if you are saying that B&O is better or worse than Loewe in the aspects you mention:
    VGA mode
    BOSe interfacing
    Personal Media Centre
    White TV on a Cube (presume you refer to the Loewe Mimo?)

Loewe doesn't have the reputation of B&O, but it does make very good TVs in my opinion. I have just ordered a Loewe because for me, the trade off between picture quality and price was not right for B&O.

Like any product, you pay alot more for increasingly minimal improvements (e.g. when buying a car / hifi / mobile).

Personally, B&O has a slightly better PQ, but is less value for money.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Very true and Loewe do make good TV's the features and benfits of both are well known i cant ever personally see anyone buying a B&O over a SONY purely on PQ, Martin if you want a lovely 50Hz set then let me know.
    I only mentionad a very small number of "features/options of EACH" and a decision on a product should never be made on brand alone

13. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I own a B&O, and although it is 10 years old, the picture is still clear and sharp. If I had the cash I would definately buy another B&O. I don't own a Loewe but am very interested on the Articos.
    I was actually looking at the KV32FQ86 just for gaming. The useful 3 scarts, which 2 are RGB is what I need. But I havent actually found one with a decent enough picture for me to say it is worth the price tag, probably down to the signal in the shops I suppose. I havent ruled it out, I just need to see one with a decent RGB picture.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Colesy a B&O might not be as far away as you think mate, have a look a the Bvis-3 32" 3 scarts 2 RGB IIRC and there is a B&O Dealer in cardiff who i am sure are very helpful ;)

15. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ;) I know mate. I got my last Tv from you ...erm them :D . I looked at the Beo 3 but wasn't too keen on the stand. I like the beo 3 with the black changeable surround, the other colours aren't to my liking. I was actually going to purchase the avant 32" with dvd and the surround active speakers and plug in board, but had a few pints across the road and decided to put the large amount of money towards my new Audi A3.....anyway that was off topic, apologies.
    The Mrs factor is always a part of a TV decision in my house, and considering we have a B&O sound system and a B&O Tv B&O VCR,all chosen by the Mrs, she wanted the avant over any of the Loewe pieces of kit.
    The articos is a lot cheaper and looks very nice in my opinion (not the mrs opinion though). For the main Tv in my house I have a 36pb50 panasonic, which I must say has turned me off Panasonic TV's for life. Hence me possibly moving to Sony for my next purchase. I suppose it is just a case of being lucky when you get any make of tv.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dont bother with the stand mate they look great on an optimum stand and can still be motorised (if you like that sort of thing) POP in and say hi next time you are in town