Bang & Olufsen Beosound Stage Review & Comments

This opinion is understandable but misguided. I have enjoyed high-end AV for almost 20 years, owning speakers made by Energy (when they were still an independent company), PSB, and Dynaudio, separates by Anthem and Parasound, a number of SVS cylinder and box subwoofers, and even a monster Fathom 113 sub by JL Audio that was nearly the size of a washing machine, but sometimes our circumstances change and we have to make compromises. If we are being honest, if you're shopping for a sound bar, you are making compromises. Most of the time, those compromises have to do with simplicity, decluttering, aesthetics, and the all important wife approval factor. The B & O stage masterfully checks all those boxes and is frankly one of the best and most enjoyable AV purchases I've ever made with exceptional depth, clarity, and above all musicality. It also has impressive low end extension with a healthy SPL down to 20 Hz. It will not shake the walls and rattle the glass like a great cylinder sub, but it definitely sounds like there's a sealed 8 inch sub somewhere in the room. In my opinion, it sounds better and has richer bass than both the B & W panorama 2 with PVD1 subwoofer that I owned for many years and the B & W Formation sound bar and bass that I briefly owned before settling on the stage. Bottom line: if you're in the market for a sound bar and you value clarity, musicality, and a killer aesthetic, you should at least audition the B & O stage.
It's better than panorama 2? I currently have that which I find great for movies but not so good with music. Seems to lack the left right stereo sound. Maybe to do with having 1 tweeter in centre. Would you recommend soundstage for music. Also is it better with movies as panorama 2 seems to throw surround sound quite well in my living room with dolby 5.1

It's better than panorama 2? I currently have that which I find great for movies but not so good with music. Seems to lack the left right stereo sound. Maybe to do with having 1 tweeter in centre. Would you recommend soundstage for music. Also is it better with movies as panorama 2 seems to throw surround sound quite well in my living room with dolby 5.1

The Panorama 2 is phenomenal but I do think the Stage sounds better—and definitely works better. The HDMI switching on the P2 was wonky at best. The Stage has more clarity, musicality, and tighter and faster bass. It is exquisite for music: detailed, sweet, crystal clear. It is great for movies as well though in the same way without quite the expansiveness of the Panorama’s sound stage. There are no simulated surround effects in the Stage. It is strictly a 3.1 system and—unlike the P2—doesn’t even attempt to provide a rear effect. That said, it is one of the most enjoyable speakers I’ve heard. I don’t think you would be disappointed.

Hello
If It can help you find my review after 1 month on the other b&o stage topic of the forum.

I think that 1st people should deeply think about what is their real need and what they want and what is the design of their living room.
Looks like more and more people are interested in a soundbar and then request for external sub, rear speaker, if I can use the soundbar as the center channel ?!!!!! What are they looking for ? A soundbar will never replace a real 7.1 or a pair of stereo speaker. Even ambeo will not replace a 7.1 system even if it does a great job to create a surround environment. When people say that they want rear speakers or a sub and that the soundbar is in a corner of living room and/or the living room is widely open and they did not understand why there is no rear effect or top effect with a coach stick to the tv....

But let's go back to the Stage.
I choose it because I listen to music more than watching movie and for music it's really good. But I did not expected better experience than my previous 5.1 system with B&W speakers.
For movie it's great as well with deep bass (it's not visceral) but it's really deep. I was looking for a soundbar without a sub and the Stage do it and I know that with my real 5.1 system with a sub it was better. But my choice was to remove all 5.1 system. With the Satage you are not going to be in the center of a bubble sound created by 7.1 system with plane above your head, bullet behind your head,... But in my living room Stage creat a sound bubble between the Tv and the coach and sound object moving in that bubble (horizontal and vertical). The sound is really larger than the Stage and or my TV 55'. The Stage for me do the job I was expected as a soundbar very well. My living room now is free of speakers, cable, ...

It's only my opinion and do respect for sure what other people looking for or dreams :)
You are right in terms of expectations of course.

But there are products that are expandable / flexible, in that you can use them just as a sound bar if you want, or add a sub if you want, or add rears if you want.

Not all sound bars offer that flexibility of course, but a few do, and increasingly higher end brands should be able to offer that flexibility.

I know quite a bit about B&O, and many of their existing customers have BeoLab speakers which they sue with their TVs. Thus far the vast majority would have been using a B&O TV at the heart of the setup, with the TV acting as a centre channel once the BeoLabs are connected.

Going forward though, some want to use a 3rd party panel (LG, Panasonic etc) and thus need the audio engine and centre channel wrapped up in B&O's way. The Stage only goes part of the way.

So yes, no one should expect a sound bar on its own, however good, to replicate a full set of multi channel speakers, and I think most here understand that. But that's not the question / issue I raised. While the Stage certainly speaks to a certain market, and does so very well, but there are still plenty who would like a more flexible version as described above. Both can coexist.

You are right in terms of expectations of course.

But there are products that are expandable / flexible, in that you can use them just as a sound bar if you want, or add a sub if you want, or add rears if you want.

Not all sound bars offer that flexibility of course, but a few do, and increasingly higher end brands should be able to offer that flexibility.

I know quite a bit about B&O, and many of their existing customers have BeoLab speakers which they sue with their TVs. Thus far the vast majority would have been using a B&O TV at the heart of the setup, with the TV acting as a centre channel once the BeoLabs are connected.

Going forward though, some want to use a 3rd party panel (LG, Panasonic etc) and thus need the audio engine and centre channel wrapped up in B&O's way. The Stage only goes part of the way.

So yes, no one should expect a sound bar on its own, however good, to replicate a full set of multi channel speakers, and I think most here understand that. But that's not the question / issue I raised. While the Stage certainly speaks to a certain market, and does so very well, but there are still plenty who would like a more flexible version as described above. Both can coexist.
I do understand your point of view and what kind of flexibility you are talking about. As today most of things are only software limitation may be it will come later with a software update for exemple. Product flexibility is sometimes worst solution because instead of doing a very good product, manufacturer do a go product trying to hit all customers requests like a Swiss Army knife.
sometimes having several premium tools for différent specific tasks is better than 1 doing all not very well.
We will see what is B&O strategy.

I do understand your point of view and what kind of flexibility you are talking about. As today most of things are only software limitation may be it will come later with a software update for exemple. Product flexibility is sometimes worst solution because instead of doing a very good product, manufacturer do a go product trying to hit all customers requests like a Swiss Army knife.
sometimes having several premium tools for différent specific tasks is better than 1 doing all not very well.
We will see what is B&O strategy.
Agreed, but I'm talking about a range of products - so a standalone bar and a different, expandable one.

The Stage cannot be updated via software to become the expandable version, and integrate the surround engine as currently exists inside B&O TVs.

Agreed, but I'm talking about a range of products - so a standalone bar and a different, expandable one.

The Stage cannot be updated via software to become the expandable version, and integrate the surround engine as currently exists inside B&O TVs.
I guess its in our nature to always want more, we started with Mono, then Stereo, then Quad/cd4 ( i think it was called, then 5.1 then 7.1, eventually atmos and on we go.

I guess its in our nature to always want more, we started with Mono, then Stereo, then Quad/cd4 ( i think it was called, then 5.1 then 7.1, eventually atmos and on we go.
Of course, but this is not a question of wanting more.

The Stage is fine as it goes, and designed for certain market.

When in comes to B&O, their history is for their TV's to be the audio processing engine (which is very powerful and capable) and a centre channel, for those with other B&O speakers (i.e. expand out from the TV audio alone).

The Stage is not that, nor does it fill that gap for the B&O customers who want a (for example) Panasonic or LG TV. That is the issue with the Stage i.e. it is less than, not a question of wanting more. B&O customers will not always want their latest TV (for design, cost reasons etc), but would like B&O speakers and the audio processing engine.....they can build that into a fully featured unit (a Stage 2.0 if you like), which can co exist alongside the more basic v1. That would maintain where many B&O customers have been, as opposed to make do with lesser solution (panel Stage sound bar).

Of course, but this is not a question of wanting more.

The Stage is fine as it goes, and designed for certain market.

When in comes to B&O, their history is for their TV's to be the audio processing engine (which is very powerful and capable) and a centre channel, for those with other B&O speakers (i.e. expand out from the TV audio alone).

The Stage is not that, nor does it fill that gap for the B&O customers who want a (for example) Panasonic or LG TV. That is the issue with the Stage i.e. it is less than, not a question of wanting more. B&O customers will not always want their latest TV (for design, cost reasons etc), but would like B&O speakers and the audio processing engine.....they can build that into a fully featured unit (a Stage 2.0 if you like), which can co exist alongside the more basic v1. That would maintain where many B&O customers have been, as opposed to make do with lesser solution (panel Stage sound bar).
I take your point but this is not what the soundstage was designed for. It was designed as an 'entry level' soundbar and apparently it does it very well according to the reviews.

I take your point but this is not what the soundstage was designed for. It was designed as an 'entry level' soundbar and apparently it does it very well according to the reviews.

Dont disagree - I perfectly understand the Stage and what its intended for.

There are plenty of B&O customers who have bought one for a secondary room / setup.
But many of those are waiting for a fully fledged version as described above for their main setup.

That was all my observation meant - and relevant because where once B&O TV's were worth the premium to some (B&O customers) given their design and powerful in built sound (and processing), and the lack of alternatives, now with TV design form factors having reduced to bezel free panels, paying 10k+ for a TV is a harder sell. Their TV sales have stagnated at best, and more likely declining - but many of those customers still want the B&O audio and speaker design - hence the need for a more fully featured sound bar. Otherwise their situation will regress.

Not a question of wanting more.

But yes, no doubt the Stage is excellent in so far as it goes, a point I happily made much earlier.

Beosound Stage or Sonos Arc?
I’m really stuck between these two and think I’ll try to get a demo somewhere. To clarify I will be using an Apple TV 4K for TV/Movies with a Philips pos9002 OLED. It looks like my TV can output Dolby Digital +. Music playback isn’t a big deal, although I would use it for this occasionally. Any thoughts on how the two compare (given my setup). Anyone here had a chance to listen to both?

hi i think it unlikely folks would have been able to hear them side by side given current circumstances.
im sure the Sonos will be good based on early reviews, i doubt though it will be in the same league as the stage.
you can order online and have 14 days by law to return the goods which could solve your problem?

Or 100 days with ARC first then stage.

I'm in same boat and have ruled the ARC out as I definitely need an HDMI input and the tv doesn't support Earc. The limiting factor for the Beo is price though there are deals to be had.

I'm also looking at the JBL 9.1(review due on AV forums this week) and the LG SN11 (deals when back in stock at Curry's permitting)

I'm in same boat and have ruled the ARC out as I definitely need an HDMI input and the tv doesn't support Earc. The limiting factor for the Beo is price though there are deals to be had.

I'm also looking at the JBL 9.1(review due on AV forums this week) and the LG SN11 (deals when back in stock at Curry's permitting)
I was thinking the same about the HDMI in. I’d ruled out the JBL and LG as I’m very superficial and want it to look good as well as sound good.
Where have you seen deals on the Beo?

I was thinking the same about the HDMI in. I’d ruled out the JBL and LG as I’m very superficial and want it to look good as well as sound good.
Where have you seen deals on the Beo?
Peter tyson have an open box stage for around 1k they also offer 12 months Ifc, 3 year warrantys etc. Makes it a very attractive choice, not that it needs it.

wont the Jbl be around the £1k mark? there are lots of reviews out there already,JBL Bar 9.1 Review: Wireless Dolby Atmos With A Few Flaws | Digital Trends 6 out of 10 but most others 4 out of 5 but its how it works in your room that matters.

Beosound Stage or Sonos Arc?
I’m really stuck between these two and think I’ll try to get a demo somewhere. To clarify I will be using an Apple TV 4K for TV/Movies with a Philips pos9002 OLED. It looks like my TV can output Dolby Digital +. Music playback isn’t a big deal, although I would use it for this occasionally. Any thoughts on how the two compare (given my setup). Anyone here had a chance to listen to both?
For Sonos keep in mind that you need to have a iPhone to be able to do the calibration and full settings. With Android you can not.

The Panorama 2 is phenomenal but I do think the Stage sounds better—and definitely works better. The HDMI switching on the P2 was wonky at best. The Stage has more clarity, musicality, and tighter and faster bass. It is exquisite for music: detailed, sweet, crystal clear. It is great for movies as well though in the same way without quite the expansiveness of the Panorama’s sound stage. There are no simulated surround effects in the Stage. It is strictly a 3.1 system and—unlike the P2—doesn’t even attempt to provide a rear effect. That said, it is one of the most enjoyable speakers I’ve heard. I don’t think you would be disappointed.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads

You may also like

brand-dark.svg
About our ads

You may also like

Well it definitely sounds perfect for what
Peter tyson have an open box stage for around 1k they also offer 12 months Ifc, 3 year warrantys etc. Makes it a very attractive choice, not that it needs it.
Peter tyson have a vip
For Sonos keep in mind that you need to have a iPhone to be able to do the calibration and full settings. With Android you can not.
Looks like apple might be buying out sonos!! That's put me off ever buying sonos if that happens

A couple of questions:

1. I presume this is an active Soundbar i.e. you don't need an AVR to drive it? I only ask as I can't find a picture of the rear panel anywhere that shows a power cable connection.

2. This would be a potential replacement for a Paradigm Soundscape. I don't need immersive audio as I already have 5.1.4, this would just be for live TV broadcasts and programmes recorded onto my Blu-ray recorder. I currently have the BR recorder connected to the TV via an Optical cable as the Paradigm doesn't have any HDMI connections, but I have a spare HDMI on my TV. I presume that I'll get sound from the BR recorder using HDMI as a straight swop for the previous Optical connection?

Thanks!

p.s. Tried to part exchange my Paradigm for the B&O with Peter Tyson,but they're already up to their eyeballs in p/x gear.

Anyone know of any other dealers who might offer part exchange?

A couple of questions:

1. I presume this is an active Soundbar i.e. you don't need an AVR to drive it? I only ask as I can't find a picture of the rear panel anywhere that shows a power cable connection.

2. This would be a potential replacement for a Paradigm Soundscape. I don't need immersive audio as I already have 5.1.4, this would just be for live TV broadcasts and programmes recorded onto my Blu-ray recorder. I currently have the BR recorder connected to the TV via an Optical cable as the Paradigm doesn't have any HDMI connections, but I have a spare HDMI on my TV. I presume that I'll get sound from the BR recorder using HDMI as a straight swop for the previous Optical connection?

Thanks!
Yes the Stage is powered, it offers 550 watts rms. connections are optical 2 hdmis ( one of which is earc)
it offers Atmos but i would describe it as Atmos light. you could try selling your Paradigm on here or of course ebay .

Okay, managed to negotiate a deal with Peter Tyson (thank you to Thomas for his help) for a Stage in Bronze with a Remote One also in Bronze, plus they are taking my Paradigm Soundscape off my hands - hurray!

The hardware exchange is due tomorrow and I'm confident I'll get everything to work as it's just a straight swop between the old and the new devices in terms of placement and function.

However, I do have one slight concern: Thomas said that I would have to connect to the app to enable software updates and first time set up, but I have neither a tablet nor mobile phone. I was going to use my Google Chromebook, but I'm not sure if it'll work?

Anyone have any advice/experience about this?

I also intend to use it in table top mode sitting horizontally in front of my TV, do I need to have access to the app to inform the Stage of its orientation? And I presume it can only sit one way round?

Finally, is there a visual display for volume or settings on the Stage itself or is this through the app again?

Thanks!

Okay, managed to negotiate a deal with Peter Tyson (thank you to Thomas for his help) for a Stage in Bronze with a Remote One also in Bronze, plus they are taking my Paradigm Soundscape off my hands - hurray!

The hardware exchange is due tomorrow and I'm confident I'll get everything to work as it's just a straight swop between the old and the new devices in terms of placement and function.

However, I do have one slight concern: Thomas said that I would have to connect to the app to enable software updates and first time set up, but I have neither a tablet nor mobile phone. I was going to use my Google Chromebook, but I'm not sure if it'll work?

Anyone have any advice/experience about this?

I also intend to use it in table top mode sitting horizontally in front of my TV, do I need to have access to the app to inform the Stage of its orientation? And I presume it can only sit one way round?

Finally, is there a visual display for volume or settings on the Stage itself or is this through the app again?

Thanks!
Congrats on the purchase.
, ok the app allows you to designate positioning the difference between the 2 settings sound wise is negliable.
it also allows certain sound settings, i dont have the beoremote but assume it allows adjustments? otherwise whats the reason to buy it.
sorry dont have a chromebook so cannot help on that matter.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom