Bang & Olufsen Beosound Stage Review & Comments

Great review thanks;)

Despite this multi-room capability there are no expansion options, which unfortunately means you can’t add a separate subwoofer or wireless rear speakers for the surround channels.

This trend is becoming very annoying. I am not sure why companies choose not to feature a dedicated sub-out or the ability to add wireless rear speakers.

Despite this multi-room capability there are no expansion options, which unfortunately means you can’t add a separate subwoofer or wireless rear speakers for the surround channels.

This trend is becoming very annoying. I am not sure why companies choose not to feature a dedicated sub-out or the ability to add wireless rear speakers.
All companies conduct extensive market research, so the only conclusion I can draw is that most consumers don't care.

Overpriced style-over-substance as usual from B & 0.
Although I'm sure it will find favour with the 'I know nothing about AV, but I do have an Amex Black Card' brigade.

I read pretty much all the reviews on here despite not being particularly interested in the subject. Thanks @Steve Withers , in this case I have been enjoying Ben Watt albums via tidal all morning.

Thanks for the review.
I like the look of this and agree if they did add some sub outs they would gain a few more sales from those wanting to downsize although I appreciate that may be a small group.

Overpriced style-over-substance as usual from B & 0.
Although I'm sure it will find favour with the 'I know nothing about AV, but I do have an Amex Black Card' brigade.
Although for once, B&O have priced this much more reasonably than their usual 2K+ entry point.

By all accounts it sounds incredibly good, and most who have tested it quickly conclude it needs no sub.

B&O make stuff for people who dont want lots of big black ugly boxes.
Of course it comes at a price, but minimalism that sounds very good is rare and hence expensive.

I know plenty enough about AV, have no Black card, but dont regret the premium I paid for my B&O architecture. Its usability would blow most members away, and (owning some of the proper speakers) the sound is extremely impressive.

But much easier to post responses such as yours I guess.

All companies conduct extensive market research, so the only conclusion I can draw is that most consumers don't care.

That's quite sad. The only soundbar that ticks all my requirements is Klipsch 54 but looks like it might never be released.

Its not too hard to feature a dedicated sub-out.

That's quite sad. The only soundbar that ticks all my requirements is Klipsch 54 but looks like it might never be released.

In the end, many of these companies need to address more than just a niche.
And while many of use here may not like it, things like full surround systems are seemingly a good deal less popular with regular consumers than they used to be.

And again, while many mid / low priced sound bars are (a) not very good, and (b) would benefit from a sub, the Stage reviewed here is very powerful, and doesnt need a sub even in large lounges.

B&O will likely make a more fully featured similar product with expansion capability, for those with other B&O speakers wishing to create a surround system.

Not every product is intended for your (or my) specific use case.

In the end, many of these companies need to address more than just a niche.
And while many of use here may not like it, things like full surround systems are seemingly a good deal less popular with regular consumers than they used to be.

And again, while many mid / low priced sound bars are (a) not very good, and (b) would benefit from a sub, the Stage reviewed here is very powerful, and doesnt need a sub even in large lounges.

B&O will likely make a more fully featured similar product with expansion capability, for those with other B&O speakers wishing to create a surround system.

Not every product is intended for your (or my) specific use case.

I do get you but not having a dedicated sub-out when sub is excluded is simply foolish and shortchanging IMO.

I do get you but not having a dedicated sub-out when sub is excluded is simply foolish and shortchanging IMO.
If you listened to it, you see why it doesnt need one.

Its a stand alone product.

Some sound bars are, some aren't.

Judge it for what it is trying to achieve, not what you would like it to, which would be in another product category.

From what I understand from dealers, and given its relatively modest B&O price, its been selling very well (again for a B&O product volume), and as such they'll be feeling anything but foolish.

As for value for money and short changing, if I ever needed a sound bar I'd consider it, especially as it outperforms some similarly priced bar/sub combo's from Sonos for example. And also looks a hell of a lot nicer.

If you listened to it, you see why it doesnt need one.

Its a stand alone product.

Some sound bars are, some aren't.

Judge it for what it is trying to achieve, not what you would like it to, which would be in another product category.

From what I understand from dealers, and given its relatively modest B&O price, its been selling very well (again for a B&O product volume), and as such they'll be feeling anything but foolish.

As for value for money and short changing, if I ever needed a sound bar I'd consider it, especially as it outperforms some similarly priced bar/sub combo's from Sonos for example. And also looks a hell of a lot nicer.

As a bass addict owning a mammoth ULF capable SVS sub, I don't go further if the soundbar doesn't come with a dedicated sub-out unless it comes with a powerful sub.

I heard Tuefel soundbars are good but they don't feature Atmos.

The only soundbar that fits my bill is Klipsch 54

1. Wooden casing
2. 130 cms wide (better soundstage)
3. Ability to add wireless rear speakers
4. 12 inch wireless sub
5. Dedicated sub-out.

I would happily buy this B&O had it included a sub-out.

Last edited:
I read pretty much all the reviews on here despite not being particularly interested in the subject. Thanks @Steve Withers , in this case I have been enjoying Ben Watt albums via tidal all morning.
It's a great album. Have you heard North Marine Drive, Ben's first solo album from 1983? It's similar, although obviously from the perspective of a younger man.

I agree, a sub-out would be a nice addition for anyone wanting to beef-up the bass. Although it goes surprisingly low for a single-box system.

As a bass addict owning a mammoth ULF capable SVS sub, I don't go further if the soundbar doesn't come with a dedicated sub-out unless it comes with a powerful sub.

I heard Tuefel soundbars are good but they don't feature Atmos.

The only soundbar that fits my bill is Klipsch 54

1. Wooden casing
2. 130 cms wide (better soundstage)
3. Ability to add wireless rear speakers
4. 12 inch wireless sub
5. Dedicated sub-out.

I would happily buy this B&O had it included a sub-out.
Indeed, and it may not be for you.
Its not for me either - I'd like a B&O sound bar / centre channel that can expand to include my other B&O speakers (and sub).

But what they've made is a standalone product for those needing only to boost the sound from a flat panel, and this it doe very well indeed, plus the ability to use it to play music to and from pretty well.
Its a starter type product, hence its more reasonable cost than the usual speaker setup from B&O.

One wouldn't critique a Boxster for not matching up to a 911 GT2, they're meant for different purposes. Different products, different market segments.

Personally I’d rather have a soundbar without a sub. If it’s a good one and I want to simplify equipment, (and let’s face it that’s the whole point of these), then not having to worry about placing a sub in a lounge makes everything so much easier. These are basically to improve the sound coming from the tv and save space. i think the problem is when folks start expecting them to be a complete home theatre replacement! For the record, they aren’t.

It's a great album. Have you heard North Marine Drive, Ben's first solo album from 1983? It's similar, although obviously from the perspective of a younger man.
I’ll listen to it! After hearing places I know of in Hull on the first track I had to google him again, and I wasnt surprised to read that him and Tracey both went to Hull university. North marine drive is a road in Bridlington that overlooks the north promenade and beach, and it’s also the album cover.
I grew up in East Yorkshire and still work there despite living in north Lincolnshire just over the Humber.
its always nice to hear of familiar places in music.
Thanks again

I absolutely love the look of this, but the lack of a subwoofer out would stop me buying it :-(

Fully understand they conduct extensive research, but this seems odd for a prestigious audio company like B&O

Personally I’d rather have a soundbar without a sub. If it’s a good one and I want to simplify equipment, (and let’s face it that’s the whole point of these), then not having to worry about placing a sub in a lounge makes everything so much easier. These are basically to improve the sound coming from the tv and save space. i think the problem is when folks start expecting them to be a complete home theatre replacement! For the record, they aren’t.

Soundbars are indeed looked at as HT replacements due to various constraints at home. You were once getting 2 channel sound which then became 5.1 and now we are talking Atmos.

I had a proper 7.1 setup but sold most of my speakers due to constant complaining from the other half. go. If we get bigger homes in the South East of England for the money we pay, I would have easily retained my speakers. Alas, I had moved on and still waiting for a reasonable replacement in a smaller form factor. Klipsch 54 is the only ticking all my boxes but looks like it will never be released.

Soundbars are indeed looked at as HT replacements due to various constraints at home. You were once getting 2 channel sound which then became 5.1 and now we are talking Atmos.

I had a proper 7.1 setup but sold most of my speakers due to constant complaining from the other half. go. If we get bigger homes in the South East of England for the money we pay, I would have easily retained my speakers. Alas, I had moved on and still waiting for a reasonable replacement in a smaller form factor. Klipsch 54 is the only ticking all my boxes but looks like it will never be released.
And that’s exactly my point. They‘re a compromise. Whether we like it or not. You compromised your kit because of your other half. I compromised my own music system because I felt it was taking over our lounge. A soundbar or all in one music system like mine is always going to be convenience and compromise over a traditional multi box/ multi speaker system. Thankfully they’re getting better and better. The biggest problem is as soon as they get over a grand folks start complaining about the price!!!
Seriously, how can they think they’re comparable when they cost far less?
Yes you can get atmos but that’s like buying a 420i, sticking an M badge on it and saying you’ve got an M4 !
Yes it’s atmos, but it’s not really atmos is it?
I reckon peeps need to review their expectations.

Regarding market research...
It pays to keep in mind that B&O are in fairly horrendous financial shape, so maybe they've cut back on expenses like market research?

Regarding market research...
It pays to keep in mind that B&O are in fairly horrendous financial shape, so maybe they've cut back on expenses like market research?

I don't believe in these market research. Maybe they randomly approached some folks on the high street who are probably not AV enthusiast....

My earlier comment wasn't necessarily aimed at B&O but you're right, it does depend on who you sample.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom