Bang & Olufsen Beosound Stage Review & Comments

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
@keithwiggins - you didn't answer my last query.

Is there a visual display on the Stage to show volume output, DSP setting etc?

I guess I'll just have to try the Chromebook and see if I can access the app that way tomorrow - wish me luck!

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE ANDROID VERSION OF THE B&O APP FROM THE GOOGLE PLAYSTORE TO YOUR CHROMEBOOK. IF NOT ALREADY GIVE IT A GO.
Is it this one?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Sigh.

Well, as expected it's a bit of a mixed bag.

The bar arrived today and it's heavy, solid and beautifully made. I also received my Beo Remote One at the same time which is like the Rolls-Royce of remotes!

Managed to download the app (thank you @keithwiggins) onto the Chromebook and set up regular software updates and bar orientation - so that's all good.

However:

1. I can't get the Beo Remote One to control the bar. I know it's a universal remote and I have to find a way to get it connected and communicating, but the online instruction manual is as clear as mud.

2. I can't seem to find either my TV or my Blu-Ray recorder as a source on the bar. Whenever I switch it on (manually!), all I can get are various radio stations and I have no idea where they're coming from!

Why do these things have to be so complicated? I just want to use the bar to listen to TV programmes, either live or pre-recorded.

Can anyone help?:lease:

MichaelV

Sigh.

The bar arrived today and it's heavy, solid and beautifully made. I also received my Beo Remote One at the same time which is like the Rolls-Royce of remotes!

Managed to download the app (thank you @keithwiggins) onto the Chromebook and set up regular software updates and bar orientation - so that's all good.

However:

1. I can't get the Beo Remote One to control the bar. I know it's a universal remote and I have to find a way to get it connected and communicating, but the online instruction manual is as clear as mud.

2. I can't seem to find either my TV or my Blu-Ray recorder as a source on the bar. Whenever I switch it on (manually!), all I can get are various radio stations and I have no idea where they're coming from!

Why do these things have to be so complicated? I just want to use the bar to listen to TV programmes, either live or pre-recorded.

I think the fault lies with the complexity of modern day devices communicating through HDMI with no clear universal standards for doing so. I don’t think it’s to do with the Stage per se. It’s frankly a wonder to me anything ever works!

I have gotten random radio stations on mine, which are weirdly in German though I live in Hawaii so I have no idea how I’m getting them. It usually happens after I’ve connected something via bluetooth so I’ve learned to not do that and just use the HDMI connections.

You will get there!

keithwiggins

Sigh.

However:

i cant advise on using the remote, but, so can i assume you have connected the stage to the tv using the supplied hdmi cable plugged into the arc connection on the tv and the stage?
is the bluray connected to the tv or the stage? i would try connecting through the tv assuming tv has a spare hdmi port.
have you set the tv menus up for arc/cec? if all that is done as you turn the tv on the stage will power up and output sound from what ever programme you are watching. If you have done all this, great, now if its still not working great, go to the app, is it connecting to the stage? if so great ,if not go through the setup process again or until the 2 are synced.
SO using the app go to product settings, which on mine is below the listening modes on second page, on this new page select sources, select tv, that should do it. on that page u will see lots of other sources to connect to as well.

Last edited:

keithwiggins

The problem when trying to proffer help like this is difficult, i set mine up 8 months ago and havent had to do it since, to be honest just plugged it in entered wifi password and bobs your uncle it just all worked.

sneakyweeone

Guy on JBL forum was in similar position and found that powering everything off and then back on after 10 minutes got everything going. The old IT trick.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Okay, I am slowly inching forward with this!

First of all, thanks to @keithwiggins, I managed to find the extra menus in the app and add my remote, so I can now control the bar whilst slumped on the sofa - hurrah!

The remote has two main source settings: TV and Music. Music is the one that has all the different radio stations on it (including the one in German, which is the default!), but pressing TV currently does nothing.

My current connection pattern on the TV is:

HDMI 1: 4K player
HDMI 2: Blu-Ray recorder
HDMI 3: Soundbar

I tried swopping round HDMI 1 and 3 as HDMI 1 is Arc capable, but it made no difference - there was still no sound of either the TV broadcast nor the Blu-Ray recorder.

Oh, and the app is terrible; just a list of features you can enable or disable with no explanation of what they mean nor what effect they have.

So, I have a working remote; now I just need to find how to get TV/Blu-Ray recorder sound out of the bar next. Easy!:eek:

keithwiggins

Okay, I am slowly inching forward with this!

First of all, thanks to @keithwiggins, I managed to find the extra menus in the app and add my remote, so I can now control the bar whilst slumped on the sofa - hurrah!

The remote has two main source settings: TV and Music. Music is the one that has all the different radio stations on it (including the one in German, which is the default!), but pressing TV currently does nothing.

My current connection pattern on the TV is:

HDMI 1: 4K player
HDMI 2: Blu-Ray recorder
HDMI 3: Soundbar

I tried swopping round HDMI 1 and 3 as HDMI 1 is Arc capable, but it made no difference - there was still no sound of either the TV broadcast nor the Blu-Ray recorder.

Oh, and the app is terrible; just a list of features you can enable or disable with no explanation of what they mean nor what effect they have.

So, I have a working remote; now I just need to find how to get TV/Blu-Ray recorder sound out of the bar next. Easy!:eek:
ok i would use the stage with the arc /cec hdmi connection, which i think u identify as hdmi 1? then have you checked the tvs audio menus and set the Tv sound to soundbar/reciver with cec on? My tv is a samsung and those are the settings i follow in my tv setup yors may be different but the basic principals should be the same.
The app on your computer is i fear more basic than what i get on my apple phone and tablet, but can you select inputs from it? if not guess you have use of a tv button on you beoremote, that should work after you have set the tv menus, i will send you a couple of my menu settings which may help guide you.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Update: okay, I still can't get this to work through my TV via HDMI.

I had a prior feeling about this before I even bought it, I did mention this in my initial Post #96:

"This would be a potential replacement for a Paradigm Soundscape. I don't need immersive audio as I already have 5.1.4, this would just be for live TV broadcasts and programmes recorded onto my Blu-ray recorder. I currently have the BR recorder connected to the TV via an Optical cable as the Paradigm doesn't have any HDMI connections, but I have a spare HDMI on my TV. I presume that I'll get sound from the BR recorder using HDMI as a straight swop for the previous Optical connection?"

I see no obvious reason why this shouldn't work: you plug the supplied HDMI cable into the Stage TV HDMI connection and the other end into the ARC HDMI connection on the TV, but there's nothing.

There's also nothing in the TV's menu to enable/disable ARC, so I presume it's permanently enabled. And there's no sub-menu regarding what device you're connecting to the TV either, and I admit that I've never had any problem using HDMI connected to anything else before.

So now I have another query: there's a 3.5 mm mini-jack connection. B&O describe this on their website as:

"1 x Line-in 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack"

and

"Audio playback via analogue Line-in"

So can I use a cable like this as an alternative:

My concern is this sentence at the bottom of the listing:

"Important: the 3.5mm connector on this cable is Digital. Please make sure you are plugging it in to a Digital 3.5mm Socket only."

Does this mean it won't work on the Stage? Does the Stage need an internal DAC for this to work?

Any help much appreciated!

keithwiggins

Update: okay, I still can't get this to work through my TV via HDMI.

I had a prior feeling about this before I even bought it, I did mention this in my initial Post #96:

"This would be a potential replacement for a Paradigm Soundscape. I don't need immersive audio as I already have 5.1.4, this would just be for live TV broadcasts and programmes recorded onto my Blu-ray recorder. I currently have the BR recorder connected to the TV via an Optical cable as the Paradigm doesn't have any HDMI connections, but I have a spare HDMI on my TV. I presume that I'll get sound from the BR recorder using HDMI as a straight swop for the previous Optical connection?"

I see no obvious reason why this shouldn't work: you plug the supplied HDMI cable into the Stage TV HDMI connection and the other end into the ARC HDMI connection on the TV, but there's nothing.

There's also nothing in the TV's menu to enable/disable ARC, so I presume it's permanently enabled. And there's no sub-menu regarding what device you're connecting to the TV either, and I admit that I've never had any problem using HDMI connected to anything else before.

So now I have another query: there's a 3.5 mm mini-jack connection. B&O describe this on their website as:

"1 x Line-in 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack"

and

"Audio playback via analogue Line-in"

So can I use a cable like this as an alternative:

My concern is this sentence at the bottom of the listing:

"Important: the 3.5mm connector on this cable is Digital. Please make sure you are plugging it in to a Digital 3.5mm Socket only."

Does this mean it won't work on the Stage? Does the Stage need an internal DAC for this to work?

Any help much appreciated!
sorry never tried that option, suggest you just try it and see if that helps, really not quite sure the tv doesnt work though?
does the tv have blutooth? i can connect my tv to the stage using this option, as well as hdmi.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
sorry never tried that option, suggest you just try it and see if that helps, really not quite sure the tv doesnt work though?
does the tv have blutooth? i can connect my tv to the stage using this option, as well as hdmi.
No, my TV is ancient (Panasonic CZ952) and doesn't support Bluetooth (it's 4 years old!).

I suppose at £2.59 it's hardly a bank-breaker.

I think I'll re-post Post #114 over on the other Thread, see if I get any other replies apart from you, Keith! You never know, somebody else may have the same dilemma as me.

keithwiggins

No, my TV is ancient (Panasonic CZ952) and doesn't support Bluetooth (it's 4 years old!).

I suppose at £2.59 it's hardly a bank-breaker.

I think I'll re-post Post #114 over on the other Thread, see if I get any other replies apart from you, Keith! You never know, somebody else may have the same dilemma as me.
sounds like a plan.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
sorry i wasnt able to get you up and running.
No problem, you've been very supportive.

I think it's just really annoying that HDMI doesn't have a universal standard, even after all this time. B&O must know this but they still just provide two HDMI connections and a nominal Analogue line-in.o_O

How difficult (or expensive) would it have been to provide either a digital Optical or Coaxial connection as well? Many of us don't keep chopping and changing our TV's and Optical/Coaxial is pretty much guaranteed to work.

I'm going to order the 3.5 mm to Optical now and just pray that it works, otherwise my options are:

1. Change the TV to accommodate the soundbar, which is utterly ridiculous.
2. Send the soundbar back and get a refund (I don't really want to do this as I know it works).
3. Keep the soundbar but not use it for its intended purpose, which again is ridiculous.

I'm not an engineer, but if I was designing an audio product I would make sure as many people as possible could use it, and that means providing as many connections to make that happen.

Of course, here I am moaning about this and I still haven't fully read the online manual for the Beo Remote One yet - there might be a setting that I am not enabling in the app, so I shall keep working on it.

Thanks again for your time, Keith, much appreciated.:)

Clark1983

is there a way to stop the soundbar coming on everything is start a device. I don’t always want to watch via the beosound stage and sometimes prefer just tv speakers (LG c9) But every time I turn the tv on or a device, it switches the soundbar on. I only really want to use it for movies via my Oppo 203. I have to keep switching it off and choosing internal speakers from sound settings. Any help would be great. thanks

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
is there a way to stop the soundbar coming on everything is start a device. I don’t always want to watch via the beosound stage and sometimes prefer just tv speakers (LG c9) But every time I turn the tv on or a device, it switches the soundbar on. I only really want to use it for movies via my Oppo 203. I have to keep switching it off and choosing internal speakers from sound settings. Any help would be great. thanks
Have you got it connected via ARC?

I have the same thing happen too and I've lost my TV speaker sound completely (Panasonic OLED).

I did try connecting the Stage to another non-ARC HDMI, but there was no sound from it.

I think this is kind of inevitable, unfortunately - that the TV and Stage are linked now and one will always automatically switch on the other. I don't think it's that convenient and I wish I could disable the function too.

Clark1983

I have the same thing happen too and I've lost my TV speaker sound completely (Panasonic OLED).

I did try connecting the Stage to another non-ARC HDMI, but there was no sound from it.

I think this is kind of inevitable, unfortunately - that the TV and Stage are linked now and one will always automatically switch on the other. I don't think it's that convenient and I wish I could disable the function too.
Yeah, connected via eARC. It’s works fine (pass through atmos etc...) but I want to play my PS4 but only wish to use the internal speaker. As soon as I turn on the PS4, the soundbar comes on. Then I have to go into settings, change to tv and put the soundbar on stand by... every time. Same goes for apps, oppo 203 etc...

keithwiggins

Yeah, connected via eARC. It’s works fine (pass through atmos etc...) but I want to play my PS4 but only wish to use the internal speaker. As soon as I turn on the PS4, the soundbar comes on. Then I have to go into settings, change to tv and put the soundbar on stand by... every time. Same goes for apps, oppo 203 etc...
its part of the arc cec spec, on my tv i can go to the tvs audio menu, and select how i listen, ie tv speaker/soundbar etc, assume you may have something similar?

Clark1983

its part of the arc cec spec, on my tv i can go to the tvs audio menu, and select how i listen, ie tv speaker/soundbar etc, assume you may have something similar?
I have an LG c9 -

asoksevil

On the Panasonic, you have to disable the Viera hdmi controls for this, so it doesn’t always turn on and off with the device.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299