Bandwidth throttling

My Magic Gringo

Standard Member
Could someone help answer this for me, if I download alot of stuff with newsgroups will I still get my bandwidth throtted at peak times?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

It doesn't matter what the data is so yes. It's easily avoided though especially with newsgroup downloads - just schedule them outside of the traffic management windows.

The policy is explained here.

Steve

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

The page t1m103 linked to relates the 'National' (ADSL) service. The page I linked to was for the cable service.

Either way, you have both bits of info now.

Steve

Abbadonuk

Novice Member
And not only at peak times.

Basically during the day you are allowed 6Gb "ish" before being throttled for 5 hours.
Then from 4 to 9PM you are allowed another 3 Gb before being throttled again for 5 hours.

So if you go over your 3Gb at 8:30 PM, you will be throttled until 1:30 in the morning.

After 9PM and upto 9AM you can do what you want.

Not very "unlimited" is it?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
We all know exactly how it works - and it is completely unlimited. It's a throttle not a cap, and at no point are you prevented from transferring data.

On the 20Meg service, even when you are throttled, it's still faster than the vast majority of ADSL connections can manage.

You take your choices - VM offer an expensive but stupidly fast service with some clearly defined rules that you need to stick to to get the most out of it.

Personally, the evening throttling makes perfect sense to me as it is during the early evening when you want snappy browsing / gaming performance. I wouldn't ever download big files at that time anyway - it's just a case of being organised.

Scuzzlebut420

Standard Member
Basically here is my problem - my housemate TELLS me off because our bandwidth has been throttled - I didn't think it could be me as I have only downloaded one 3gb series and one 6gb game this month that both took about 2 weeks to download each. He downloads everyday and when I mentioned this he claimed that using alt.binz doesn't contribute to the download limit and says its all because of my torrents. I didn't see how this could be so but as he has the computing degree and I don't have a leg to stand on. Sorry to ask but I'm tired of him claiming I'm lying and as you all clearly know what you're talking about it would be nice to have a bit of evidence to back me up.
Cheers for posting that for me Magic Gringo :p
xx

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Basically here is my problem - my housemate keeps coming and telling me off because our bandwidth has been throttled - I didn't think it could be me as I have only downloaded one 3gb series and one 6gb game this month that both took about 2 weeks to download each. He downloads everyday and when I mentioned this he claimed that using alt.binz doesn't contribute to the download limit and says its all because of my torrents. I didn't see how this could be so but as he has the computing degree and I'm just a girl I apparently don't have a leg to stand on. Sorry to ask but I'm tired of him claiming I'm lying and as you all clearly know what you're talking about it would be nice to have a bit of evidence to back me up.
Cheers for posting that for me Magic Gringo :p
xx
Virgin work on the amount of data regardless of the format.
One thing to note - torrents have a high overhead as the client is continually checking with existing hosts, looking for new ones, checking the tracker etc.
A computing degree meant he passed some exams, I've worked with Comp. Sci grads who weren't safe to be left out in the rain :(

bubs999

AHAHAHA I am so showing him that quote :p
In fact if he's downloading via newsgroups, he's probably hitting the maximum speed you can get, which means he'll trigger the STM limit long before your torrents do.

The only way around it, is to take up Virgins 50MB cable broadband, as at present there is no STM limit in place...... for now at least :D

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Upstream - that could be the issue here....

Just because it took you weeks to download it didn't mean that you weren't uploading loads.

The triggers on the uploads apply for an even wider window (15:00-20:00), and trigger at even lower transfer amounts (200, 700, 1400MB respectively).

I'd set your torrent software to automatically disable uploads once you have achieved a 1:1 share ratio (or stop using torrents altogether - they are risky from a legal perspective).

Anyway, next time it triggers, contact VM via their newsgroup based support mechanism. They will tell you exactly when it triggered, how much was transferred and whether it was the upstream or downstream that triggered it.

I still think it's unlikely to be you though - much more likely the usenet downloading that your CS graduate is doing :)

Delvey

Distinguished Member
On the 20Meg service, even when you are throttled, it's still faster than the vast majority of ADSL connections can manage.

Not really, it used to be, but now adsl speeds are matching virgins, and are cheaper. And i do get unlimited downloads, no throttling and a faster upload speed

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Highly dependent on the distance from the exchange and the quality of the cabling though, whereas cable services are not.

If you are fortunate to live close to an exchange and have good cabling, then ADSL may well be better value and almost as quick. If you live 5KM away and have old corroded aluminium cables, then you will be lucky to get 512Kbps...

You can't write either type of provision off - for some, cable is the only sensible option, for others, it's worth evaluating DSL.

Steve

Delvey

Distinguished Member
very true steve, but what virgin charge for there 20mb is quite expensive, and for the 50mb is ridiculous, even when taking packages. I am lucky enough to live less than 1km from our exchange

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Don't look at the headline prices. Most people are on deals of some kind of another. For example, I've got 'BB XL for BB L' on my account which means I pay £24 per month for the 20Mbit service.

I don't think that's bad for a virtually uncontended connection (I have never - not one single time - seen my speeds drop below 20Mbit)

The 50Mbit service is £35 per month if you take other services with it. I think its quite attractively priced for such a unique product.

RICK...

Novice Member
I do agree with the ADSL thing, i was around 100m from the exchange at my last place and i always got bang on 16mb from Sky BB, never got throttled etc. However now i'm a few miles away i only got around 3mb at the best of times, so i cancelled and went with VM's 20mb package. Main reason for this, is the 'unlimited' part. I guess i should of read the small print!

I have to set my downloads to start around midnight now, as i do find that when my connection gets throttled, web pages start to struggle etc, as i go on a couple of automotive photography sites etc. Very annoying!

Oh and i pay £15p/m as i only have the BB with them.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom