1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bands appearing in RGB mode on Region 1 discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DyManiX, May 29, 2002.

1. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I have just purchased a Pioneer DV444 multi-region player and this happens:

On Region 2 films in RGB the picture is fine, but on Region 1 films, when in RGB mode I get distorted bands going up and down the screen. If you pause the disc the bands stay in the same place. If you rewind the bands reappear and look like they are actually part of the film.

This happens on Region 1 versions of Star Wars Episode 1, The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan and The Green mile. The only Region 1 disc I have tried which plays okay is Bridget Jones Diary.

I don't think its a problem with anything else in my set-up as they all worked fine on my old Panasonic player.

If you turn RGB off these bands go, but the picture quality is obviously no good. I have a Thompson TV and have not tried S-video yet, but would rather run in RGB.

Can anyone please help?

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    are the bands coming from particular things?

like torches, light spots on dark screens.. anything like that.

3. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep,

Light and dark spots are worse

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    many moons ago I had a problem with something that sounds like this.. it was termed "harmonic streaking" by HCC, there was a review from 3-4 years ago that mentioned it on a specific TV.

so with someone with a torch on a dark background, the torch would have horizontal lines coming off it..

more bizarely, the same thing happened with samuel l jackson and patrick stewart's baldie heads...

have you had a DVD player before that didn't show this problem with television?

I thought it was region 1 stuff but it actually turned out being the source... the same film on region 2 would do it... even the same on video or on TV.

it may not be this... but have a look if you can find it..
    also look on deja for the same thing, a few people posted then.

there used to be a thing about cutting a pin on the scart cable if I remember with very early Panasonics.

5. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, I will have a look.