1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bandits, a brief look.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by uncle eric, Mar 29, 2002.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is another one I missed at the theaters so was glad when my R1 pre-order came through.

First of all, the cast.
    I like Bruce Willis and just about everything he does (which seems mostly done in a tongue in cheek style). Billy Bob Thornton IMO is one of the finest actors around, period. We can always expect great things from him and we are seldom disappointed.
    As for the wonderfull Cate Blanchett, what can I say. Eye candy that can act with the best of them. If you've seen 'Elizabeth' you will know what I mean.
    So, does Stellar cast mean stellar movie. In this case, Nope!!!

This genre of film is often called a 'Caper' movie. I think thats wishfull thinking for this one. A more accurate description would be a Silly movie. The 'Sleepover bandits' antics are at best described as plain delusional and unreal.
    "Good evening, lets have dinner together and we can rob your bank in the morning." Doesn't sound quite right does it.

The movie as a whole just didn't add up or fit together. The comedy side of things were a mess. Slapstick moments are plain awfull, subtle jokes are telegraphed while the tense serious moments, there were meant to be some, were just plain moronic.

The highlight of this film was Billy Bob Thorntons portrayal of the meeker milder villain who was caught up in a web of (mostly) Willis induced hypochondria. "I smell burning feathers so I must have a brain tumour"
    Thorntons sarcastic facial expressions were a masterclass in acting and it was the nirvana of this otherwise waste of celluloid.

Without giving away a spoiler. Look out for what must be one of the most unworkable and unrealistic endings in any 'caper' to date.

PQ was superb with very little EE or other artifacts.( A-)
    Sound Quality was also good with good LE extension and nice clean dialogue ( B+)

If you havn't guessed by now. Rent, dont buy.

Eric

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with you there Eric, Badits it's definitely a rent first DVD. I watched it and reviewed it the other day after really looking forward to watching it but it was nothing more than an average road/caper movie. A real missed opportunity in my opinion.....

Read my review here - cheers :)

3. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the pirate version of this in the market and thought it was great.

Chip

4. Dung Beetle

Dung Beetle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't remember Bruce Willis being in it. I can only remember Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam. Good film though

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chip,
    You really shouldn't buy this fake gear. For one thing, buying pirate stuff just encourages more of this rubbish to be sold on the streets.

Doug,
    I'm afraid you've lost me.

Eric

6. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gotta agree with you on the stellar cast and everything you said about this fine bunch of actors Uncle Eric,just got back from our friends after viewing this one and we all enjoyed it,I know it`s not brain taxing stuff but as a pure bubblegum saturday night flick it most certainly filled the gap,I have mine on order and will be viewing it again once it`s here,have to say I enjoyed it,but then again it is saturday and the old brain doesn`t like to be taxed to much on this night :rolleyes:

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just read that apparently the Region 2 version is to include a commentary track with Willis, Thornton, Blanchett and Levinsohn not available in R1

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    He played a doctor who surgically removed people's scrotums. :eek:

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean he didn't just pull them off?:eek:

Eric

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmmm, Yeaass, We all know about the kinds of films you watch uncle eric! ;) :p :D