1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banding Problem (Electrohome ECP 3101)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by howser, Oct 29, 2004.

1. howser

howser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the AV Forums and would like some help on a problem that I'm having. I have a Electrohome ECP 3101 projector plugged into a Avia DVD player (VGA output from DVD to 5 plug connector (R/G/B/Vsynch/Hsynch) to projector.

The overall picture is very good, however there are 3 bands (mostly green/yellow tint) on the far left side of the picture (most visible in light scenes). I've tried other inputs, cables, etc but the banding is persistent. Does anyone have ideas as to what I can do to fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi Howser,

Welcome aboard.

I presume that you are talking about vertical 'bands' on the edge of your picture.

Question. Do you only see the banding with that particular source or do you see it with other sources (e.g. vga output from a PC)?

I have the Momitsu V880 and Skyworth dvd players. Both of these players produce a thin vertical band ( mainly green and red.. I think) on the right hand side of the picture on my ecp 4501 via their vga outputs. The ecp is set up with the correct width for the throw distance and I don't have this problem with the rgbhv output from my Quadscan line doubler. I can reduce the problem by using the 'move' control but I cannot eliminate it. I'm sure that this issue has been mentioned over on the AVSForums but I didn't think that a solution was mentioned. I'm sure it was suggested that this was down to some slight incompatability between the output on these players and the ecp inputs.

Brian

3. howser

howser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm referring to those "vertical" bands. I haven't tried another source yet as my options are limited. However, I'll try another DVD player and also some other inputs to see if that solves/changes my problem.

Thanks!

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The composite and s-video input card on ecp series projectors, isn't considered to be very good, so that's not too much of an option. You should be able to pick up something like a iScanPro line doubler fairly cheaply (off e-bay or the classified here). The other alternative is to use a pc and run directly into the rgbhv inputs.

You could also try combining your h&v sync signal (output from the dvd player) by using a BNC-T connector on the hv-combined input on the input card. It probably won't make a difference but it's worth the cost of the T-connector.

Where did you get your dvd player? ...... it's not one that I'm familiar with.

Brian

5. howser

howser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those are good ideas, I'll try combining the H&V signals. The DVD player was lent to me from a friend, not sure where he got it, but they're all over Ebay for about $60. I though using VGA from the DVD player to the RGB inputs on the projector was really the best way to do this, however a line doubler might be an option to look at. My limited experience with line doublers hasn't been too positive since it seems that the overall quality goes down quite a bit (most noticable in the dark scenes of movies).

6. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Howser,

I don't want to chase you away but you seem to be in the US, rather than here in the UK. If that's the case, you'll probably get a bit more advice on ecp projectors from the AVS forums as Electrohome projectors are less common in the UK (more Barco experience here).

Brian.