1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banding on my Panasonic PWD 6...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rubberducker, Sep 28, 2004.

1. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have just bought one of these puppies and on the whole very impressed.

i haven't set the picture up properly, (not quite sure how!?!) but am a little concerned about banding in the picture when watching Teresterial TV from Telewest or my DVD. it also seems overtly dark Is that normal?)

i am connected via the Scart terminal board that came with it (AV Sales advised me that the difference between this and the VGA convertor, was hardly noticable) to my DVD and cable box.

i also have a XBOX connected to the vga to componant socket and it looks beautiful (although i can see those blue dots everyone else seems to) - so the picture is good.

if i were to buy a componant dvd recorder (E85 for instance), and input my cable box through that, would that cure all my banding problems?

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I have had my PWD6 for a year, and still get some banding problems on all inputs. I haven't set it up properly, but have had a go at reducing this and it never quite goes away. I doubt that a DVD recorder will solve all of your problems - I run a Sony 930 DVD through component. You should be able to get it to a level where it doesnt worry you.

I also get the blue/green dots on dark colours on all inputs when looking close up at the screen (<2 feet away.) From my watching distance, they are invisible.

I am not sure why your screen seems dark, but it may just be because you are running your contrast/brightness too low. Leave these set low of the first 200 hours to allow the screen to run in, and then adjust them.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    plasmas require much darker viewing conditions than a CRT Tv
    Analogue Tv looks fairly nasty on plasmas, digital (sky or freeview)
    is much better as it has far less noise in the picture.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    rubberducker

The PW6 units will always exhibit a degree of banding - it can be worse with some sources that others and annoys some folk more than others too.

The DVR will possibly soften the picture a little so banding may not be so obvious.

Go to the Power Buy section of the Forums and order a Copy of AVIA (PAL) Set-up DVD from Piero Milani and set aside a day to learn how to use the disc and how to Visually calibrate your system.

Best regards

Joe