Banding and warranty.

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a 2015 ef55950V Oled tv that is covered by a 5 year warranty, it was purchased from Currys.

on the whole the TV has been good with the exception of a return a year ago when all the HDMI inputs died.

since Christmas the Tv has started to show strong banding in content (sky, Netflix and UHD BD) anything with dark scenes in unwatchable, is has also developed a shadow bleed on the edge of the screen.

Has anybody has any success with a repair of this kind? or should I cut my lose and buy another.

Below are pictures from different sources
Grand tour 4k HDR ( amazon)
Arrival 1080p (Netflix)
24 1080p (blu-ray)

any thoughts would be great.

Attachments

• oled 1.jpg
    oled 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 474
  • oled 2.jpg
    oled 2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 450
  • oled 3.jpg
    oled 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 471
  • oled 4.jpg
    oled 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 424
  • oled 5.jpg
    oled 5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 467
  • oled 6.jpg
    oled 6.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 413
  • oled 7.jpg
    oled 7.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 477
I'd give Currys a call. They might take it in again and replace the screen. Worth a try. No point just giving in and cutting your losses without a call to them. Good luck.

It's faulty and still under warranty so get them to fix or replace it......

If the Lucky Goldstars are with you then you might be offered a 2018 TV as a replacement.

will give them a call, just worried about the "within spec" rubbish. have to gear myself up ready to deal with people like Currys :)

well took the forums advise and called.

Tv is booked in to be taken tomorrow and returned on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed they can fix it as I do enjoy 3D and its a shame any of the new models don't have it.

Just read a few reports that when doing panel repairs/replacement the tv looses the ability to use the 3D mode? anyone know how accurate this is

Just read a few reports that when doing panel repairs/replacement the tv looses the ability to use the 3D mode? anyone know how accurate this is
That can't be right at all mate, only way I could see that being possible if they used a 7 or 8 series panel without the 3D coating but I don't know if that's even a possibility. Most people with these older sets seem to get told they don't manufacture these panels anymore and get offered a replacement TV. No experience here but I've read that a few times.

Really miss the 3D that my E6 had, still the best movie viewing experience I've ever had! Shame they killed it off just as it was perfected. :thumbsdow Hopefully they can just do a straight panel swap for you.

Then it's not been repaired with the correct screen IMO....

That can't be right at all mate, only way I could see that being possible if they used a 7 or 8 series panel without the 3D coating but I don't know if that's even a possibility. Most people with these older sets seem to get told they don't manufacture these panels anymore and get offered a replacement TV. No experience here but I've read that a few times.

Really miss the 3D that my E6 had, still the best movie viewing experience I've ever had! Shame they killed it off just as it was perfected. :thumbsdow Hopefully they can just do a straight panel swap for you.
Oh it's very real. My C6 is with Currys. No 3D screens anymore. LG confirmed this when i spoke with them direct. I'm in a battle at the moment with Currys for a refund. That's not the tv i bought. Some have had C6's returned with the curved screen and 3D not working.

Oh it's very real. My C6 is with Currys. No 3D screens anymore. LG confirmed this when i spoke with them direct. I'm in a battle at the moment with Currys for a refund. That's not the tv i bought. Some have had C6's returned with the curved screen and 3D not working.

sorry to hear that, are you struggling to get a resolution? just like you I will not be accepting a replacement panel with missing functionality.

Yes i am. I emailed the CEO after weeks of getting messed about by team knowhow. One of the top customer service agents is now on the case. They said it will be sorted. Shouldn't have to go to the top but they were not helping me at all.

Tv was collected today, wasn't a great start when the collection guy started saying he can't enter due to our dog, I had to bring our cat to the door to show him she wasn't a dog:facepalm:

so now I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best, do they contact you to discuss the issues or update you?

At repair centre
Your item was received at our repair centre on Thu 7th February and is being fixed by one of our repair experts. The planned return date for your item is Tue 12th February but if this changes we'll get in touch

called today to find out what is going on, been told nobody has looked at It yet.

is a single day all it takes to sort these issues out.

So called this morning.
The panel is damaged due to part of the main processor going bad, apparently the log showed 149 failed compensation cycles.

They have replaced the main board and the panel. just waiting for a call back to confirm they used a 3D panel.

So far so good :)

well it came back today and all is not well. panel is worse than when it left, picture seems slightly better but panel uniformity is shocking

any thoughts on this

Attachments

• oled worst copy.jpg
    oled worst copy.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 330
well it came back today and all is not well. panel is worse than when it left, picture seems slightly better but panel uniformity is shocking

any thoughts on this
That looks terrible but I would try rack up a couple of compensation cycles and see how it looks then. In my experience with 3 OLED panels they always look darker before a few cycles run. It looks like it could be a decent panel if those dark spots clear up.

Did they use a 3D panel?

Might be worth contacting Curry's ASAP regardless.

Send it back to the Experts if compensation cycles don't help. How can they even send it out in this condition is beyond comprehension

What happened to exercising commonsense? :(

looks like its going back to Currys.

when I called on Monday to verify it was a 3d screen they had to send it back to the workshop to check if it was a 3d screen, now my zidoo is refusing to play any 3d content, wonder if it really has a 3d screen or not/

I am wondering if I can argue the 7 day repair guarantee as far as I am concerned the issue had not been fixed so the clock is still ticking.

so disappointed

Attachments

• oled zidoo.jpg
    oled zidoo.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
Well things took a turn for the worst.

Decided to watch the grand tour and rack up my 4 hours and let it doing its cycle. half way through the TV turns off and now I get nothing at all. Pulling the plug and turning back brings the LG logo on but nothing on the display at all
:-(

looks like its going back to Currys.

when I called on Monday to verify it was a 3d screen they had to send it back to the workshop to check if it was a 3d screen, now my zidoo is refusing to play any 3d content, wonder if it really has a 3d screen or not/

I am wondering if I can argue the 7 day repair guarantee as far as I am concerned the issue had not been fixed so the clock is still ticking.

so disappointed
That's worse than LCD backlight bleed. Do not accept.
Your only obligation is to give them a chance to repair. Unfortunately theirs stops at replacement or refund. Check wording on your guarantee to see if full price covered if offer a refund as you could get two 8 series for the original price of a 6 not

Sorry after spending 4 hours on the phone and talking to 14 people,

Currys have offered a voucher of £930 for the tv.

Not sure what to do next, asked if I could have it in cash so I could visit Costco and cut ties with Currys but the answer was a no.

Any advice on next point of call.

Sorry after spending 4 hours on the phone and talking to 14 people,

Currys have offered a voucher of £930 for the tv.

Not sure what to do next, asked if I could have it in cash so I could visit Costco and cut ties with Currys but the answer was a no.

Any advice on next point of call.
I had nothing but problems with Currys and my C6. They fully refunded some people on here a few weeks ago. Not me though. The were a complete pain. I contacted the CEO. His team called me and were just as useless. They offered me £930 cash for my £1700 tv. Because i don't ever want to deal with them again, i took it. I will be buying my C9 and everything else from other stores.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom