1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Band Of Brothers?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by betamac, Sep 19, 2002.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a huge war film fan and have seen and loved all the latest efforts , Black Hawk Down, We Were Soldiers, Windtalkers, Saving Private Ryan, etc etc you get the idea, but NEVER seen a single band of brothers episode, is it any good i just seen the DVD collection has been released with DTS sound on 600MINS of video which is pretty amazing. Would i like this? anyone already received it? whats the DTS track like?

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

I too am a war film buff but I must admit that i prefer the 60s war films (and earlier) None of the modern films except Private Ryan impressed me. I watched the episodes of Band of Brothers and found it to be Private Ryan on a smaller scale. Very enjoyable but it made out that the USA won the war singlehanded. I think the one time I saw a some British troops in this programme, they were made out to be idiots! If you liked Ryan you will enjoy this. Films like Dirty Dozen and Where eagles Dare beat all the above mentioned. IMHO

Shaun

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was the most realistic TV series of the portrayal of war. Also, it was based on real events of the 101st airborne divisions Easy Company.

If you like realism in your war movies (judging by your list, you do!), then you'll love this box-set.

JD
    PS. The parachute jump scene, when the invasion begins, is unforgettable.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If you liked SPR you should like Band of Brothers, quite similer, the first few episodes were very good, it does taper off slightly toward the end. There are also some interviews of the actual members from the EZ company which make it quite interesting.
    I watched a repeat on UK Drama (missed it on the BBC) in 4:3 low bitrate :( but I still enjoyed it.

£55 at future region 1
    £45 at play region 2

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about the £49.99 Region 1 at CD Wow

6. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I loved this series, and I personally like it more than private ryan.
    It's basically a longer private ryan but following the men of Easy company of the 101st Airbourne. It follows the men right from training to the end of the war. It's based on a book of the same name, which you might like to look up. The story and characters are so involving, and the action is great too (produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, did you expect anything else?)

I can't wait to sit down for 10hrs to watch it again :D

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hard to beat I think :)

8. Spinning Plates

Spinning Plates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Do CD Wow ship US R1 and not Canadian?

9. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Risking being flamed here BUT:

It's a series about a US regiment. The bits where you see UK troops were some of the only contact that the regiment had with UK armed forces personal. I've read the book and the US forces in the UK were quite segregated from the UK troops. In the battles for Normandy and later Germany, the US had it's three fronts, the UK it's front and the Canadians their front. There were very few mixed / crossover situations.

Gist: Why be surprised when a film (or whatever) about US troops doesn't show UK partipation.

NB: This should not be taken as a knock of the the UK (and commonwealth) personel who fought in WW2 and who played their part for 6 long years. I have every respect for them and go to the dawn parade on ANZAC day evry year.

Also: Sorry for getting slightly off topic.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

10. Spinning Plates

Spinning Plates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Brits dont come off too smart particularly in 'Carentan' where Brit tanks were under orders not to fire unless they had a lock on the enemy tanks, despite warnings from US soldiers where the enemy was hidden and waiting to ambush.

11. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No-one in the allied armour divisions came through that one with much credit.

Amazing that UK / US which could come up with surperb aircraft like Spitfire, Mustang, B17, Lancaster, Mosquito, Thunderbolt and Typhoon couldn't come up with decent tanks until last 2 months of war.