Band of Brothers HD DVD series released in Japan in July

Yeah excellent series, not sure if it will be good in hd, it was grainvision like private ryan.

Great News - I thought it looked stunning in SD, can only imagine what HD will look like!!! ......and sound like!!!!

Another one for the pre-order basket!!

This is a must buy for me. I thought the SD version was a very good transfer and am looking forward to the HD version. I guess we have to wait on what encode will be used. This should eventually be released by HBO in the States, so the question is whether to wait for that or go with what will be available in July. On the other hand, may be by July we'll have a release date for the US version too.

It will be interesting to see if the same (Toshiba) transfer will be used for the US (and eventual UK) release. As someone on AVS noted, Toshiba's releases to date have been as MPEG-4 and AVC. Will this one be a VC-1 transfer? Are there different masters that HBO or others could use for releases in other countries?
The HD DVD Format blog lists the soundtrack as DD+ 5.1 but is that preliminary information complete? Would other releases include a TrueHD track if the Japanese Toshiba one doesn't? As has been noted before that people listening to discs through e.g. their TV speakers (not through dedicated audio equipment) don't really get the benefits of the higher quality audio formats v. the standard flavours of DD(+) and DTS, will this really matter except as a marketing tool?

Many questions left after reading this preliminary information/announcement.
But at least we know that Band of Brothers is on its way :thumbsup:

Yeah excellent series, not sure if it will be good in hd, it was grainvision like private ryan.

Miami Vice looks fantastic and was shot at very high ISO in the night scenes as there was little/no external lighting.

I absolutely adore BoB, must-purchase this is...

If they can do a good job on the compression then BoB should look stunning, and if there's no sign of a Western release soon then I'm definitely getting this.

Nice, but a bit pricey. 4000 yen for 2 eps! (thats like $40) so the total cost for all 10 eps will be like $200!! :rolleyes:

Im sure the US version will be cheaper so ill probably wait for that.

Will this be coming out over here at some point?

That is pretty much a given, when is the better question.

The picture was good anyway I will purchase this just for the improved audio which was outstanding in DD 5.1 here is hoping for TRUE HD:clap:

Difficult one I think. The blogspot there says it will be released in five seperate discs, each with 2 episodes.

With the Jap retail price at 4000 (£17) Yen, we are looking at over £100 for the series when you think the import price will be a minimum of £20. :(

Will have to wait and see what happens when they are actually listed for sale.

Updated specs are now available for the Toshiba release of BoB, with DTS-HD 5.1 English and Japanese dubbed tracks being quoted instead of the originally mooted DD+ tracks.
Cover artwork can now also be previewed:
http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/2007/04/band-of-brothers-arriving-on-hd-dvd-in.html

doh. The most difficult format to actually get out of peoples' players. Still, I guess the 1.5Mb DTS will sound excellent.

Agree about the pricing, but thats Japan for you.

I bought the SD Boxed Set Version (In the Tin Case) for About £65 and would definatly purchase the HD Version.
Its a fantastic Series and I am sure in HD and DD 5.1 it will be even better..... :thumbsup:

My copies arrived this morning. It's a definite upgrade over the SD-DVD and well worth the money IMO. Much more detail and sharpness visible over the SD-DVD, clearer sound and more solid colours and black levels.

My copies arrived this morning. It's a definite upgrade over the SD-DVD and well worth the money IMO. Much more detail and sharpness visible over the SD-DVD, clearer sound and more solid colours and black levels.

Would you mind saying where you bought it from and how much it was please? Also, I take it that it's not forced subtitles or anything silly like that?

Cheers
Moosh

This is one HD-DVD that i'm going to have to pass on simply becuase i haven't watched my SD-DVD box set yet :(

Would you mind saying where you bought it from and how much it was please? Also, I take it that it's not forced subtitles or anything silly like that?

Cheers
Moosh

I got it from Amazon Japan. They did a pre-order discount price. In the end I paid £60 for the discs plus delivery. We'll see what kind of VAT/duty bill I get on top of that but if I do get a bill it could come all in to about £100. Unfortunately you can't get them now at the discount price as Amazon have put the price up. There are no forced subs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom