1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Band Of Brothers - First Impressions

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by hobbes, Oct 5, 2001.

1. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, WOW. I thought the first two-parts of this mini series were superb.
    Everything looked and sounded realistic with the paratrooper landing being a highlight.

A few dodgy accents crept in though. :).

Can't wait for the DVD, anyone know when it'ss be released?

And what did you all think? Apparantly the veterans of easy comapny stood up and applauded Spielberg and Hanks upon first showing.
    Hope this series carrys on at the same quality.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,675
    Yeah looked good.
    The filming technique capturing the 'heat of battle' is identical to Saving Private Ryan.
    Look forward to the full big screen surround sound experience from DVD.

3. Landyrover

Landyrover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too was very impressed! Particularly liked the way interviews with surviving members of Easy Company proceeded each part. Bought it to life even more and served as a reminder that these guys actually went through the hell that is war that was portrayed so well in these films (not that film can EVER, of course, communicate the feelings of those actually subjected to such horrors).

I eagerly anticipate the remainder of these films and look forward to their release on DVD, which I have been reliably informed on another forum is early 2002.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I loved it.
    Excellent.
    I particularly liked 'Ross' as the idiot Captain.
    I was also surprised at the final note, on how the attack on the guns is still used as a text book assault today!
    Can't wait until next week and the DVD. :D

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TWO PARTS??? I thought Tuesday's was the first part with Friday's on BBC2 being a repeat of it.

6. Paul Young

Paul Young

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aparently the bands of brothers was cut on friday night. i hope the repeat on BBC1 next Wednesday is going to be uncut. These cuts i read in an other forum.

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'v just watched 'Band of Brothers' and my opinion? Superb!
    I'v heard quite a few negative views slagging it off as being 'too american' and not offering a british or allied point of view - as far as I'm concerned , its a film by Spielberg and Hanks about the war from an american perspective and based around real life , with quotes from surviving vets - if you can get around that , it is totally engrossing and I intend to buy the dvd when it becomes available.
    The only bugbear I find is the 'sepia' look which makes for a dull,murky appearance.

8. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loved it too. One question though...the guy playing Winters...is he Steve McQueen reincarted or what? From some angles it was spooky!

9. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You got any more info on the nature of these cuts mate?

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

I can't see BOB being cut, even if it did go out between 8:30pm and 10:20pm. THe BBC preceeded the showing with clear warnings, as did the Radio Times. What reasons would they have to censor something from the likes of Spielberg and Hanks, that WW2 veterans have said is as near to the realism of war as they've ever seen?!

I think that the reason it is going out on BBC2 is because it is going to be shown uncut, earlier than maybe expected, because BBC2 does show contentious and difficult material, not necessarily intended to be liked by everyone. This might explain why the BBC1 repeat is not airing till 10:35pm on Wednesday night, when BBC1 audiences are more likely to tolerate controversial and possibly offensive material.

Anyhow, if they can show "Pulp Fiction" and "Strange Days" on BBC2 at 10pm on Saturday nights, then I don't think "BOB" is going to look too out-of-place. It may be graphic and quite uncompromising, but it would probably be no more than the equivalent of a 15 certificate film, just like "Schindler's List" or "Saving Private Ryan", and they were both acclaimed for the way they dealt with their subjects.

Like the previous correspondant asked, if you could post more details on any "alleged" censorship cuts, then please do so, as many of us would like to know what and why such cuts were made.

Alternatively, people can contact the BBC Viewer Enquiries department on 08700-100-222. Their ofice is manned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Hope this helps.

Pooch

11. Paul Young

Paul Young

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Well, if true I'd say I was too big and ugly to need nurse-maiding whilst watching a bit of TV. I notice there's no mention of source for the cuts he's got listed there, although it really didn't harm the programme not having those bits in it.
    Still, that's not the point, is it? Unnecessary in my opinion. I just don't see any need for it.

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,675
    Cool another ACTION fan. Gore galore !
    My nickname at school was HC Dude !!

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Thornastor,

Your link doesn't go to anything other than DVD Debate's main page. I tried doing a search for "Band Of Brothers", but nothing comes up. Maybe you can post a better link, please?

Also, the BBC have said that the series will only have been edited if:-

1) the series was pre-cut before they received their copies, or
    2) due to recent events in the US and Afghanistan that could offend or upset people.

However, if the latter is the case, surely it would be better to wait until this is all over with, and then air it uncut, surely?

I am still going to tape the series, but if I like it, then I would like to get an uncut DVD edition, definitely!

Finally, whilst Rambo is correct about US TV standards being far stricter, this only applies to US terrestrial TV, and not some of the cable and satellite stations. It also varies if the show is intended for syndication (that is, to be aired by different TV networks, all over the US), or just by one station, e.g. Fox, NBC et al.

I think I am correct in saying that US cable station HBO (or Home Box Office) had a hand in this programme, hence the violence and language being far stronger than is normal for US TV. HBO also do "Oz", "Spawn: The Animated Series", "The Sopranos" and "The Corner" (an anti-drug TV mini-series). Many of HBO's series contain violence, sex or bad language that other networks would never allow!

Pooch

15. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather annoyingly I completely forgot about show and only caught it from about the time of the parchute drop. Still what I saw was excellent, mixing historical accuracy with those boys' own kind of stories I used to devour each week in my Battle and Action comic books as a kid.
    I hadn't really been paying attention to DVD news about the series, but now I can't wait. What I really need to know though is if there has been any informtation about the show being remastered for Dolby Digital 5.1 for DVD. Anyone heard anything about this yet?

16. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I've heard it gets it's first airing on BBC2 as it's classed as leaning towards a "niche" audience and not really general viewing enough to warrant a primetime slot on BBC1.

Seeing as the series was made for TV anyway and US TV guidelines do tend to be stricter than here in the UK, I'd say it's pretty unlikely it's been cut, same as Pooch, but I'd be interested in any info anyone comes up with.

I thought it was great stuff. Bring on the rest of the series post haste.

17. Paul Young

Paul Young

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmmn...interesting choice of cuts by all accounts - why they needed to cut anything in a work of this nature is beyond me, though.

I particularly enjoyed one poster's comment that:

"They didn't cut David ****ing Schwimmer out did they?"

Lol :)

I have to admit, that (to me, at least) Mr. Schwimmer seems to be an utter one trick pony of an actor, with no discernible difference between Captain Sopel(?) and Ross....blatant miscasting IMHO.

19. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I believe he'll be making his unwelcome return just in time to drop into Arnhem (or Eindhoven, or where ever it was the Yanks hit during Operation Market Garden).

20. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hopefully, he'll be taken out by some "accidental" friendly fire....heh heh :)

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well folks,it looks like I am going to put a cat amongst the pidgeons!
    Band of brothers to me was a huge letdown-yes it looked authentic(..if you like that jerky camera style!).
    I didn`t care about any of the characters,there was no continuance with any of the characters,it was formulaic.(especially the scene at the end with the laundry-I mean was this supposed to be sad?-As I said,you couldn`t remember any of the names anyway!)
    The story was absolute pants(Private Ryan but more boring...)
    But what did i expect from the master of formulaic-Speilberg,and the king of corn-Hanks?
    In fact p.ss poor!
    Doug

22. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

Doug quaid wrote: "Well folks,it looks like I am going to put a cat amongst the pidgeons!
    Band of brothers to me was a huge letdown."
    1) How can you say this, when you've only seen 3 hours, out of a total of 10?!

"There was no continuance with any of the characters."
    2) Please could you expand on that. Again, you do need to bear in mind that you've only seen 3 out of 10 parts, so things could drastically change.

"It was formulaic.(especially the scene at the end with the laundry-I mean was this supposed to be sad?"
    3) Formulaic?! Interesting! However, no film can be totally original, and bearing in mind that both Hanks and Spielberg did make "Saving Private Ryan" together, there was always going to be comparison between the two. Maybe you shouldn't do that. BOB was made for TV, and SPR was meant to be seen at the cinema!

"As I said, you couldn`t remember any of the names anyway!"
    4) Fair enough, but in most war films, it's very rare that you can name most of the characters. Maybe you aren't meant too?!

"The story was absolute pants."
    5) How can you say this, when you've not seen the whole series?! You're judging the show on less than a third of the whole.

"But what did i expect from the master of formulaic-Speilberg,and the king of corn-Hanks?"
    6) Errr, do you really want me to answer that?! Hanks has made some good stuff in the past, however I agree that not everyone likes his work. As for Spielberg, it seems odd that you almost slate the same director who made "Saving Private Ryan", "Schindler's List", "Jaws", "Raiders Of The Lost Ark", "Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind" AND "E.T."!

Maybe you'd care to tell us all, what you would have done instead, to improve the story, characters, etc.

I don't deny that you are entitled to your own opinion, regardless of how different it may be to others, but you do appear to be judging the book by it's cover and contents page, and not seeing the whole picture. If you still feel the same, after watching all 10 parts, then fair enough, but at the moment it feels like a little bit of an unfair attack.

Pooch

23. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think thats part of the point, that you don't really get to know many of the characters. I think that there is only meant to be two of three characters appearing in all 10 eps. The rest die and are replaced by new characters throughout the 10 episodes. Like the real Easy company probably. I'd say there was probably very few members of Easy company left at the end of the war that were there when the 101st airborne were formed.

As for all the British giving out about Hollywood re-writing history again with SPR and B. of B., Give me a break. These stories were about Yank soldiers and Yank landing beaches and Yank Airborne para troops. They're not trying to claim they won the war single-handedly. They just happen to be telling stories about their own guys and not yours. The one thing they should have done in both stories maybe was had some yank characters come into contact with British troops and have some interaction between them or fighting side by side to acknowledge that there were probably as many Brits there and that they were winning as many battles as the yanks. But then again some Historians might say that British and American troops might never of met because the were fighting in different areas of Normandy or France as a whole, in which case the producers would be factually correct in not showing them though maybe they should have anyway to give a balanced view of D-Day.

24. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "you're having a bath, if you think you're half inchin that"

25. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i have to agree with doug a little here spielberg has gone a bit suspect.in the list pooch produced all the films are very old an doug is bang on the money about hanks.while where on the subject of it being to american has anyone seen enigma yet as i believe its a british film about the brits doin the business for a change unlike private liar oh sorry ryan.an yes i am sick to death about the amount of american ww2 films that portray the brits as soft as wet dogs.hit an that they did all the work.

26. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Your point Graham? ;)
    I'm not familiar with the quote or its inference.

[ 15-10-2001: Message edited by: calibos ]

[ 15-10-2001: Message edited by: calibos ]

27. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Now this could be complete b*ll*x but a mate told me that the British had a cheek giving out about American portrayals of the war when there was no mention of the fact that most of the decryption groundwork or most of the decryption as a whole(cant remember which he said) was done by Polish Brains rather than British and the only Polish person in Enigma is portrayed as a traitor.Cheeky!!

I can see your guys point on this subject of rewriting WW2 history with regard to U-572 but not with SPR or Band of Brothers.

28. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can't wait to see Tom Hanks in a later episode playing a "British Officer"...his son's in it too.....

29. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget Errol Flynn in "Objective Burma"

He single handedly rids the whole country of pesky Japs. Not a mention of the British and other common wealth troops that toiled in the jungle for over three years.

If you want an accurate potrayal of any countries contribution to the war effort then don't bother watching any film made in the last 40 years co's none of them will be particularly objective.

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know theres other channels(duuuhhhh!!)..i know we have different opinions-dont be so shocked,isnt that why we come in here to talk?
    Christ theres some donuts about!!!