Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Band of Brothers £33

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by wilber, Jun 24, 2003.

1. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  2. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Big thanks Wilber :smashin:

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that tesco.com were advertising the "tin set" for £50. My wife gets 10% staff discount so I ordered it. When it arrived, it wasn't the tin set but the standard box set. I phoned up and was told to return it and they would send the tin set out. It never arrived and when I asked where it had got to, I got a short e-mail saying that they didn't have any stock and that they had refunded my money.

I've just ordered the standard box set @ £33 from CD-Wow. Thanks again.

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have seen that the region one has DTS sound and is a preferable chice over the region 2 version.

Does anyone know whether it does indeded sound noiceably better ?

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    DTS version is not a "better" mix than the DD one, certainly not worth paying extra for.

5. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DTS version is not a "better" mix than the DD one, certainly not worth paying extra for.

LMAO only someone without the Region 1 dts and fieldmap inclusive version would say that. dts rocks :)

6. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    cd wow also do the dts version in a tin here

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Duh .. I have the R1 version or how would I be able to compare how the DTS version sounds compared to the DD. "DTS rocks" LMAO at blind obedience to the mantra that dts is best (turn the DTS version down a bit and this disc sounds just about the same in DD & DTS) - in the case of this disc it is certainly "case not proven". And as for the fieldmap, well that was the biggest let down on the whole disc, certainly not worth paying extra for.

8. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The previous post makes some good points, but Wilbur too I feel makes a valid point some way back that DTS is NOT always a better mix. Saying this he may be wrong abou this specific DVD.

I myself have purchased the region 1 for £45 second hand on Ebay and must say the whole pack is very professional and probably the best in my DVD library. Sound is simply superb, but how it compares to the region 2, well I am not likely to buy it on region 2, so I will never know.

I am a bit curious why one would buy both region1 & 2 unless after buying one you found the other region copy had more extras. And surely after this would you not sell your initial purchase ?

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    "Interactive referencing" as I stated was the most disappointing feature of the extras, the tin is very nice, but in some ways is a pain as it won't fit standard dvd space. DTS v DD The bit rate certainly is higher on the DTS mix but aurally the two are similar. flicking between sountracks shows little variation (apart from the obvious change in volume).

Don't get me wrong I tend to prefer DTS to DD, all I'm saying in this case is that it's worth here is a moot one. And I certainly won't be swaping my R1 set for R2.

andypandy - I had both versions as I bought the R1 version last year and the R2 to give to my Dad this year as part of the Empire "misprice"

10. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I'll check that sequence out, but isn't the bitrate argument a load of crap? Sure I read that somewhere.......

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the other sequences out too (the action sequences), that was just the first example that came to mind.

Bitrate argument is a load of crap when comparing DD 5.1 @ 448 Kbps and DTS @ 768 Kbps because they're different encoding schemes. However, in this case we are comparing DD 5.1 @ 384 Kbps with DTS @ 768 Kbps. If you accept that DD 5.1 @ 448 Kbps and DTS @ 768 Kbps are comparable, then this is like comparing DD 5.1 @ 384 Kbps and DD 5.1 @ 448 Kbps.

13. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi all. :)

I've read the arguments here with interest, and all have merit! :D

However................I have learned, in usual costly fashion :rolleyes: , that the sound, both DD and DTS, from DVDs depends to a great degree on many things and not merely how it has been encoded!

For instance, my previous receiver, a Nakamichi AV10, made little difference between the two, whereas my Denon AVR3802 makes a significant difference (in many cases) and definitely with BoB. Things like speakers, speaker cabling, interconnects etc. all affect the sound to some degree............so merely saying DTS sounds better, fuller etc. may be true for one system (which will be set up to each individuals taste and in their unique environment) whilst not so obvious on another.

Both DD and DTS have their merits........for me, with my setup, Lord of the Rings R2 extended edition sounds better in DD than DTS; whilst the R1 version sounds better in DTS!

In my opinion, anyone buying the R2 BoB will not be disappointed with the sound ;) , if you want to test whether DTS sounds better on your system you will not be disappointed with the R1 version, either. :devil:

14. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just received and watched BoB on R1 and I must say that through my ax10i the dts sountrack did sound more fuller with more extension to the bass and normally I wouldn't be bothered too much about the packaging but i'm glad I the tin as it does look good on the shelf. I didn't mind spending a extra £10 for the R1 discs , although I would have been tempted on the R2 discs if they were £33 as they are now.

15. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not sure what CD-Wow are playing at. Just after I ordered at £33, the price went up to £38. Now its back down to £33 again.

I'm not complaining because I got mine at £33 and I'm halfway through watching it. I'm trying to ration myself to two episodes a week. Thanks again to Wilber for the heads up on that one. It really is fantastic value for money and to be honest it sounds just great in Dolby 5.1 compared to when I first saw it on mono TV.

16. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,537
    Thread cleaned up and possible libellious comments about CD-WOW removed.

Greg

17. Actaeon

Actaeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't shoot the messenger!

18. jmcr100

jmcr100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If the wagging finger is for me, then I'm sorry but I feel very strongly against unproven accusations against one of the better internet retailers out there.