Bananas

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gadgetgeezer10, Jan 4, 2007.

1. gadgetgeezer10

gadgetgeezer10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys

Just bought the 1200ESS. Wanting to wire it up and wanted to know if I need cable connectors. Do I need banana plugs? Someone suggested I could skip the banana plugs if I didnt intend to move the unit? Comments please.

Finally, I'm considering purchasing the Gale Hyperlitz speaker cable - see link
    http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...GALE-HYPERLITZ

Anyone used this one and happy/not happy?:lease:

Thanks

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Speaker cable terminations are a personal choice.
    Some use bananas (insulated or not), others spades, others bare wire clamped on the terminals.

I use bananas (non-insulated) and Gale Hyperlatz 250 in my system and have no problems with either.

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I agree is a personnal choice. Imo after many years of av I would go with banana plugs. But thats only for the ease of moving equipment or changing. I don't feel you will hear a difference unless you are using serious high end kit.

I once soldered the speakers cables direct to an amp (hifi stereo amp) and it clearly did make a difference but for av I now go the easiest route.

Rgds

CH

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I find that some Oxygen-Free Copper wiring such as Gale's XL189 & XL315 can become oxidised very quickly at the exposed ends, resulting in discolouration and a dulling of the sound over time. Note that Gale Hyperlitz is oxygen-free copper and may suffer same effect.

Think I ended up recutting wire after 12 months if that helps.

I personally have silver cable with QED Airloc connectors, but realise Airlocs are an expensive option at about £5 each.

I will only ever go with speaker wire now that is terminated, this is my preference.

Apart from looking much tidier at the back of my system, it is much easier to upgrade/ move / reconnect.

Depending on the level of system it may really not be worth spending on QED Airloc's or even bananas.

I realise that my Airlocs for my system retail in total for £100 and I haven't yet Airloc'd the extra cable used to biwire the fronts, so another £40 will bring total to £140 on Airloc connectors alone:eek:

I would suggest perhaps tinning the ends of the cables using a soldering iron and perhaps some high silver-content solder which should seal the wire and prevent oxidisation.

Hope all this helps.

Dan.

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Can you explain what you mean by 'dulling of the sound'?
    Are you suggesting that oxidisation is somehow stopping the higher frequencies?

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Yes, seemed to sound muffled with my Sony TA-FB730R to Sony SS-MF515. Guessing that oxidised copper transmits worse than oxygen free copper. Not sure why seemed to lose treble, but that was my perception.

I recut the ends of the cables and seemed better. I shortly after upgraded and ended up going QED Silver Anniversary with airlocs.

I've not looking back, but realise £5/meter and £20 per cable termnation (both ends) is quite a lot of money unless your system is many factors more expensive.

Dan.