1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bananas

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dave48, Jun 15, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Finally got speaker wire - and banana plugs.

The question I have is - what is the best way of fixing the banana plugs to the loudspeaker wire?

The banana plugs I have are in three pieces:

- the main plug part which you connect into the speaker / amplifier socket [this has a hole in it from one side to the other, so you could just shove a cable through that]

- an end piece which screws onto the main piece [this has a hole in the end of it, so I presume you can stick the cable through the hole in the end]

- and a solid metal cylinder which fits inside the main piece when the end piece is screwed on.

What is confusing me is:

- the only point of the solid cylinder seems to be if you put the loudspeaker cable through the holes in the side of the main part [but then what is the point of the hole in the end piece?]

- if you put the cable in through the end of end piece [which seems the logical thing to do] I can't see how you can fix the cable to the plug to stop the cable falling out.

Sorry for asking what is probably an obvious question - but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave48

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds like you have the dual-entry type of banana plug. They wouldn't be IXOS by any chance? Anyway, those banana plugs are designed so that they can have an additional set of banana plugs connected to them via the rear entry. The speaker cable is supposed to go in through the side holes and the bottom part screwed on to hold the cable in place. This does not provide a very good connection IMO as they are screw-lock and a some of the actual cable will be left bare. If you're going to use banana plugs, you should only use ones that allow the cable to be soldered in place (or QED Airloc's).

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    If you are not going to airlock your cables I would suggest that you solder the bare wire with a high quality solder.