1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banana Plus - Do they make any differnce ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mwhorley, Mar 7, 2002.

1. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just finished putting together my HC with Philips 28" w/s, Tosh SD100E DVD, Marantz 4200 AV receiver, Kef Q series speakers and Kef Sub. I've used QED Silver anniversary to the front / centre and ixos to the rears.

The last item i'm considering purchasing are banana plugs.

What the verdict here - do they make any difference in terms of the sound delivered or it it purely a tidy way of connecting cables to your speakers & amp ?

with 5 cables runs x 4 plugs that's 20 plugs say £2-50 a plug i'm looking at another £50.

Is this extra spend realy necessary or is it just a cosmetic thing ?

Cheers for your views,
    Mike.

2. S.G.A

S.G.A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,
    My wiews based on my own experience, is that I can hear no difference.
    But ...I found using banana plugs very useful to tidy things up, make modifications and changes easier and generally for ease of use. Example..hanging rear speakers on wall brackets by myself, while balancing on the arm of a sofa and trying to twist and thread wires...far easier to just plug a plug.
    If you are going to just leave everything in place then ok, but we all keep tinkering and 'trying things out' a bit don't we?
    :)

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    If you are going to use screw type banana plugs (ie ones where you screw the cable in place inside the plug) then I wouldn't bother. Screwing the cable direct on to the terminals of the speaker and amp will give better contact with one less connection.

However, if you use a good design of plug (ixos do a serated spring type thing which is both 4mm plug or socket) and then solder the cable in place you will get a better electrical and physical connection which will stay in good shape for longer.

The benefit of this was made plain to me while working in London 10 yrs ago. I sold a chap a new power amp and when installed was a bit surprised at how little difference it was making, although client was happy. I then saw he had screw in banana plugs. I removed them and replaced them with standard RS 4mm PLUGS soldered on properly. The difference with adding the plugs and soldering was greater than the £500 power amp.........I'd suggest it's definately worthwhile!

Gordon

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    are u suggesting that if i use solder-type banana plug, rather than screw in type, i'm going to notice a better difference in sound with my recently added Rotel 1075??

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Time to get out the soldering iron methinks!!:)

6. Paul.Scrivens

Paul.Scrivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I get these banan plugs?

I have a Marantz SR4200 and Mission Cinema6's. What types shall I buy? where from?

Paul

7. Paul.Scrivens

Paul.Scrivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I take it these Banana plugs are used to connect the speaker cable to the AMP (Marantz SR4200)? I'm thinking of getting Ixos 204 Banana (4mm) Plugs from http://www.hifibitz.co.uk. Is this a good choice?

Then to connect the speaker cable to my speakers (Mission Cinema6) is it best to use the spade connectors such as the Ixos 207 Spade Terminal?

Paul

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Just gone and had a look at that plug. It's not a great design. I'll try and find a link to the one's we use...

Yes, you may find that if you are using screw type banana plugs, whether gold plted or not, tining the cable and then soldering it to your plug should make a pretty significant difference. If your speakers can accept 4mm plugs then do that end as well.

I've never been a fan of spade connectors. They have big surface area which is good but the terminal that screws down on to them usually comes loose quite quickly. At the Bristol show I was in a dem room where the manufacturer favoured spades and the speaker cable had fallen out the back of the speaker beside me.....could have been interesting...

Back with link soon with luck,

Gordon

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Here's the closest I can get to the ones we use. It looks like Ixos don't actually sell their version to the public. We used to use these from RS until we found the Ixos version. You'll be glad to know these are cheaper!

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/...No=2817002&prmstocknum=2817002&prodoid=242009

If the link doesn't work go to the RS components UK web site and look for product ID: 531-453

Oh well...another trade secret out the bag!

Gordon

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    CPC do a range. The ones i settled on are only 0.84p each.I have no complaints about the quality. If interested the part mumbers are red-AV00066, blk-AV00065. If you feel the need to spend more money then more expensive ones are available but tbh i dont find them necessary.
    They come into their own when connecting cables to and from the amp.Much easier and quicker.HTH

11. Paul.Scrivens

Paul.Scrivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Gordon,

but what is wrong with the IXOS ones I chose?

12. Paul.Scrivens

Paul.Scrivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most audiophiles swear by Spade Connectors because of the large contact area. If you take a look, most of the Ultra High End speaker cables such as the Kimber range, you will see spades already attached.
    However, as Gordon pointed out, wrongly implemented connections with cheaper spades can have disastrous results depending on your amps shutdown facilities.

I can't think of the name right now but I have seen one high quality make that allows for soldering (as opposed to the more common crimping method) with superb final results.

Eric