Banana plugs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    How much difference do banana plugs make when connecting cables to speakers and amps? AT the moment I have the bare ends of the cables goin directly to the connection points. What are good plugs to get? Is there a difference between one brand and another?

My system is Denon 2802 + MIssion M72 speakers, QED Silver Anniversary cable (biwire for front mains, single wire for centre). Can someone please suggest appropriate plugs to go with that, without spending too much over-the-top if unnecessary. Dixons are selling Profigold connectors for £7.99 (four in a pack) which will add up to a hell of a lot, considering how many plugs I'll need to buy.

Thanks.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Banana plugs are just another connection, some will say they make a difference, some won't, they are a lot easier to connect and disconnect from your speakers/amp......

Spade connections are another choice, more area of contact, then again will they make a big difference¿

I have banana plugs fitted but didn't notice any improvement in sound quality......

bob

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On the Tag Mclaren web-site they sell all types of connectors.
    However they don't recommend bananas(though they still sell them)
    They say because of there size and design they are prone to interference and in there test emit a harsh sound!
    They recommend spades.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bananas on the amplifier side, for convenience, (also the binding posts there are not as sturdy as on the speakers), spades on the front speakers and bare on centre and surround...

I have WBT for the fronts, one of the best terminals...

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Forgive me if this sounds silly, but I'm a hi-fi virgin. My QED Silver Anniversary cable arrived this morning. How do I strip the ends? I am using a wire stripper, I cut through the plastic coating, but the coating is bound tightly around the metal core and it just on't slide out easily. When I manage to slide the plastic off, some of the metal strands get pulled out, which isn't right because quality is lost if strands are lost. Any advice?

Thanks.

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Silver Anniversary is quite a thick cable and difficult to strip because of it's twisted design. I used a Stanley Knife and first cut round the cable where I was going to strip then carefully made a vertical slit on the piece to come off. A vertical slit means you won't cut any strands and you should be able to simply peel the remaining plastic away. It can be annoying when you lose one or two strands but don't get too hung up about it as it really won't make any detectable difference to the sound.

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Banana plugs are OK provided they are 'tight' in the sockets and, crucially, you solder the cables in as well or instead of the screw fastenings.

They are a lot more convenient than trying to keep multi-strand cables under control on a binding post.

8. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Bloke at a renowned hifi shop (will remain nameless to protect identity) says that I'm better off sticking to bare wire, than using screw-on banana plugs. As long as I don't leave any of the copper exposed for oxidation.

His opinion is that a banana plug makes things tidy but is just another layer that can add resistance to the sound, and a screw-on plug still leaves the copper strands exposed. He recommends that if I must have plugs then we should go for the airlock type, which we have to send our cable back to the shop and they specially attach for us. With that type, there's no air inside the plug and no copper gets exposed to the outside air, therefore it doesn't deteriorate over time.

Any comments?

Thanks.

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At risk of opening a huge can of worms.....

If you're that bothered about the literally miniscule difference it's likely to make, then use silver solder on gold plugs.

If you're brave enough, have a look 'under the hood' of the Denon and see how they've connected the speaker posts internally and you'll see what I mean.

N.B. do this at your own risk, with the power off.

This is in no way meant to denigrate Denon, quite the reverse. They put the investement in where it counts and don't get over obsessed where it doesn't.

As for speaker cable, there are an awful lot of recording studios using 100 amp mains cable... I prefer something a bit more domestically friendly but, unless you are spending several thousand pounds on the amplifier and sources, I wouldn't get too carried away. Silver is good but I reckon the difference between a 2802 and an '11' is far greater.

The important thing is to use appropriate interconnects. Van Damme is a good place to start.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,143
    Dr.Rock you right about the airlock.
    I was once told to solder the ends of the cable to prevent oxidisation, or every so often cut the ends of and bare a new bit of wire, which is a bit of a bind (no pun intended).