banana plugs...

dogtown

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought some Cambridge Audio ones from Richer Sounds and what utter rubbish, firstly the cable has to go in the side and then you have to drop in a round spacer then tighten the end down, I would of prefered the cable to come in from the rear and be secued by a screw. Secondly the only way of fixing a loose fit it to pry the prong open a little and upon doing this it came out of the plug itself and is now broke!!

Rubbish.

Is it worth spending the extra to get good ones or are they all much of a muchness??

Steve

Last edited:
I got mine from ebay. They were the cheapest ones I could find. I honestly believe that there is no difference between the more expensive ones and the cheap ones.

Do you really need banana plugs? Often better to wire them in bare to get the best possible contact....

I actually use similar style banana plugs, because my cables are too wide (6mm/10 awg)to be easily threaded through or in the old style banana plugs.

As long as the contact is there, it doesn't really matter!

Hope this helps.

thanks guys.

yes i have to use banana plugs as i swap my speakers between my marantz amp for music and onkyo for films:)

I know the plugs you mean, Doggie, and yes, they are awful - so flimsy and far too easy to snap whilst still plugged in!

I agree with Deathtrap - I got some more off Ebay for more or less the same price and they were much better quality with a more robust design, important especially if you plan to keep swapping them around. And as far as I could hear there was no difference, so try not to be taken in by any wild manufacturers' claims!

Good luck
Derek

nearly all banana plugs are useless to be fair... except one type.

as someone said above you're much better off clamping down the bare wires - but this can be a total pain as often you're working in a cramped area, at some point you will have a re-shuffle and end up trying to get the bare wires back in again and just end up cutting and stripping more wires back to bare again.

my favourite solution are these:
zplugs22red.jpg

they solder on - which I know for some will be a chew on. but I think they offer the best possible connection and ease of use. I'd quite happily sit here all day terminating cables this way. I bought about 48 plugs last time i bought them and often make cables for family members (to avoid them splicing cables with masking tape) I recall in the description that they can be crimped on - but I've not tried that.

just search ebay for 'z type banana plug' 24 will cost you about £15 which is £1.25 / pair - compare that to £9.99 /pair!

combined with the matching heat-shrink in red / black they come out looking just like Nordost teminations / plugs.

the cheap banana plugs often have that little collar around them which is usually very loose and they still spin round when fitted into binding posts. addiding 3 mechanical connections to the circuit like that can't be good.

The Nakamichi banana plugs are excellent. They are rear cable entry with two screws to hold the cable. Got mine from ebay.

The Nakamichi banana plugs are excellent. They are rear cable entry with two screws to hold the cable. Got mine from ebay.

They do look good!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
yes i have to use banana plugs as i swap my speakers between my marantz amp for music and onkyo for films
Leaving the question of what banana plug to use, I wonder why you just don't solve your real problem? This Beresford switch will save you from ever having to replug speaker cable, or this Sonance switch will do it completely automatically (similar switches available from Russound and Speakercraft).

Pretty sure you can fit the Cambridge Audio banana plugs in line with the wire :)

Strip wire:
005ca92319f6617b6189ad45a9648235.jpg

8018108973640c23182cfc2b1e0d85a7.jpg

efc1605edd66b4129174bf65af73d3ce.jpg

Dismantle plug:
ffc5ea171e4f7974fb1a3980d3b30f64.jpg

Thread back of plug over wire:
8e4bab031868cac615faeb710ba4b3d4.jpg

Push wire into front of plug:
8bd1532f56054ef3c3ebf0d02219ebc7.jpg

Insert core, which squashes wire snug inside:
91bed7b49520a7502483b0a8fea50eac.jpg

Screw it back together:
1abad727366cbf14829aa3c1f7e85b7c.jpg

I think the side hole is for when the back of your plugs would be squashed against a surface if they were thread into the plug inline, as above. So you have the option for a 90deg entry but it's much less neat.

HTH someone in future.

I thought they blocked you from replying to threads that over a certain amount of time or maybe its just a warning. That said, this was useful information. I must say, the pictures are crystal

Agree with Don Dadda. No reason to start a new thread and if somebody has useful new data to add: post away.

i,ll second that, i use the nakamichi type all off ebay and at cheap prices. they are the best ive used for this price. the 2 screws secure the cable very good. and they plug in very snug. i use them on my home cinema and hi fi . you wont get better quality ones at this price.

20 x Quality Nakamichi Speaker banana plug 24k Gold plated connector **UK** | eBay

Those Naks Banana plugs are well worth the money. I also have a set and think the quality belies the price. The double screws keeps the cable secure and the screw on cap stays tight unlike the el cheapo version which screws and cap work loose for no apparent reason.

Don, just curious how good are those Naks when you plug em into your speaker and amp binding posts, would you say the fit is tight, casual or loose?

MI55ION the naks fit nice and tight.

Don, just curious how good are those Naks when you plug em into your speaker and amp binding posts, would you say the fit is tight, casual or loose?

Hey Mi55ION, - Not quite what Illy said, but yes, snug as a bug in a rug.
I know not all bindings post holes are exactly the same size, but i didn't have to expand, squeeze or use major force to get posts in, though depending on hole, slight force may needed.

I may have a couple spare i could send to you if you like. I'll check when i get home tonight.

Last edited:
out the 3 options he asked id say definately tight :D certainly not casual or loose :D

ive used a few different types off ebay and the naks are by far the best out all that ive used.

Illy - i can see how it may of looked, but I was not disagreeing what you said, just putting it in another way :smashin:

Thanks gentlemen, ive had a few duds of ebay in the past but based on what you say sounds like these might be worth a punt.

Btw, Don appreciate the offer mate but that wont be necessary, its only £10 for 10 plugs which should be enough for my needs.

:)

Thanks gentlemen, ive had a few duds of ebay in the past but based on what you say sounds like these might be worth a punt.

Btw, Don appreciate the offer mate but that wont be necessary, its only £10 for 10 plugs which should be enough for my needs.

:)

ive used these ones and these are terrible.VOSO - 20 × 4mm Gold Plated Speaker Wire Cable Banana Plug Connector | eBay the banana shaped springs actually spin on the pin inside which is utter useless. you can spin the plug round when fitted :eek: so in theory its like having a speaker cable just pushed into a binding post and not tightening it up.

avoid these at all costs

Hi guys I use these Banana plugs Sewell, I find them fantastic and no chance of a bad connection.

49fcf19c07c7142306cd1ed22b7b3f28.jpg

20ca96736f5d4709fd8d5628d8a82209.jpg

1f9b66ce667dcb7ec8ca9fff04cfa47e.jpg

0890263f533548f00f04d462ef7169d8.jpg

4743f01eb9b864a56dffb29c5bc7eb9d.jpg

Iv always used them and can't fault them at all, there very cheap too 24 for £18

Chris.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom