1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

banana plugs??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by skanky, Aug 26, 2004.

1. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are they used for? are they worth the money? and will i be able use them on a uk spec yamaha rx-v450?

ta.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just for connecting speaker cable to binding post, should be no issue for yam, dont really help quality but great for quick speaker changes! (also used on rear of compatible speakers)

3. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'm not normally one to disagree with veterans <g> but I'm not so sure that the Yamaha will accept bananas. If I recall, all Yamaha amps/receivers for the European market have been binding post only (effectively just bare the end of the speaker cable and tighten the clamp down) for a year or so, and the 450 is a current model I think. Something to do with one of those crazy EU regs that some manufacturers have taken to extremes to avoid litigation (touchproof sockets for all "power" connections? - hence also the move to BFAs for Linn, TAG etc).

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Most if not all amps/receivers sold in the UK (and rest of the EU for that matter) will have the end of the binding posts covered with a plastic cap. 9 times out of 10 these can be removed with a small screwdriver or perhaps broken away so that banana plugs can be used. I did this with my old Denon 3802 and many others on here have done the same on their amps/receiver. I am not aware of any company that make it too difficault or impossible to remove the end caps.

Mark.

5. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Fair point Mark, but the OP was asking what a banana plug is, and what its for - in this instance I woudn't be advising trying to remove the centre caps - just use the binding posts as provided and have done!

Incidentally, I've never tried, but I've always assumed the "easily removed" doesn't apply similarly to BFAs. Anyone know any different?

6. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies, had a quick look through my instruction manual after reading how UK yamahas wont take banana plugs and yep, says it in the manual too.

oh well, i guess im not the sort of person who unplugs regularly anyhow.