Banana plugs or bare wire?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bigjunior69, May 6, 2007.

1. bigjunior69

bigjunior69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested to know what anybody thinks makes a better connection. I've got a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R and a set of Gale 30xx speakers that are currently connected with bare wire. I've had them for a couple of years and I think it sounds pretty good. Is it worth me spending the extra money on some good quality banana plugs or is it a waste of money?

Any help appreciated.

2. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +745
    If your connections are tight, but not overtly so, don't waste your money. The only reason that I have banana plugs on my main speakers, a pair of Kef 104/2s, is that being older floorstanders the connections were'nt / are as they are now. On those I use Michelle hard gold plated jobbies that as you tighten up where the cable goes through a split pin opens up at the other end and creates a tight connection inside the Kefs cable input as it were. On all my other speakers, which are also Kefs and apart from the sub, its bare wire all the way as the connections are hard gold plated and of a much higher quality. All you are doing is to add another (unnecessary) barrier to the chain. On my av amp (AVC-A11XVA) it's also bare wires into the speaker connections, hope that answers your query.:)

3. bigjunior69

bigjunior69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice TaxiMan. I think I'll stick with the bare wire. Like I said, the sound quality seems pretty damn good to me for what is essentially a low end system so I think I'll save my cash. Every little helps towards that 8th gen Pioneer plasma!