1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banana Plugs in Reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Craig_Nike, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just recently upgraded to banana plugs for my speaker wires.
    Shuold I be soldering the speaker wires into the banana plug ?

I have the 2 little screws tightened up for all their worth, will solder help out by eliminating the oxygen in the connection ?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hi Craig,

I am sure that it wouldn't make the slightest difference. I have never bothered and I don't solder the leads at the speaker end either.

Incidentally banana plugs are illegal in Europe for some obscure reason which is why (in UK at least) Sony have put a tiny bung in the end of the connector - which takes about three seconds to remove.

As an aside I bought Hifi Choice today and in their review of AV Receivers they gave the 1070 a "Recommended" tag relating to it's stereo performance. No mention of "shrill" or "raucous" at all.

Regards

Ian

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is hilarious - I'd love to know the stupid reason that is !

Interesting that you don't solder anything, thanks for the advice.
    Nice work on the 1070 review.

Hey have you got a DTS ES Discrete DVD disk there ?
    My mate just put in Special Edition Se7en (which is DTS 6.1 ES Discrete) and the 1070 showed dts 3/2+1 on the channel display that comes up for a second after it first starts decoding....

I noticed that Star Wars DD EX only has the 3/2, EX doesn't show up as 3/2+1.

Can you comfirm the +1 happenings ? And if so do you think that it is properly decoding the 7th channel ? Or is it just matrix deconig it ? The 3/2+1 seems to inidcate it is pulling the discrete centre rear off the disk ?

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They're illegal in Europe because they are the perfect shape to be shoved into a European mains socket, because obviously no one could ever resist the temptation to see what would happen if we did stick something into a mains socket. Therefore, to protect the total dumbass European who deserves to be electrocuted for sticking things in mains sockets, 'they' decided to just make them illegal. This is plainly one of the most ridiculous things we will ever hear.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry Craig but I don't think that I have any DTS ES discs but if I get Se7en or any other I will let you know.

In fact the only DTS discs that I have are T2, Mummy Returns and Hell Freezes Over.

Ian

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Craig,

T2 is DTS ES and just for you I watched it again.

It shows up as 3/2 +1 just like Se7en and follows it up with "6.1 decoding"

Not on mine though as I don't have the extra rear speaker.

Ian

7. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS ES discs (Matirx or Discrete) will be detected automatically by the amp. There are not many in the uk, T2, Evil dead, Seven.

DD EX does not include the flag in the software to switch automatically, so you will need to press your relevant 6.1 button on your amp. Hopefully Dolby will sort this out soon.