1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

banana plugs - good or bad ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ianch, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Ianch

Ianch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looking to wire in my new 5.1 speaker system and want to know the benefits of banana plugs - other than looking neat and simplifying cable removal. Do they affect quality ?

Any recommended sources for banana plugs ?

2. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've the AX5i amp, and am using 4 core power cable as speaker wire, basically it would not be possible for me to connect that speaker wire to my amp cause of the unflexibility of the cable and the tightness of around the speaker terminals on the amp.

This is my main reason for buying them, but equally important for me is i do plan on moving house once or twice with this kit and i also need to disconnect my speakers every now and again to get at the back of my kit, when i buy new cables etc.

So if you amp and speaker wire fit together nicely without problems and your kit is not going to be moving then i'd say they are probably not worth it. You'd be better soldering the ends and leave it at that.

Adding a banana plug to each end of the speaker cable is an extra 2 links in the chain from amp to speaker, and the less links the better

I paid €46 for banana plugs on ebay, for this i got 28 plugs enough to do 7 speakers.

Regards
    Paddy

3. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something like Vampire B12's are what you need - should be around £4 a pair but you'll need to order from across the pond and take the import duty and shipping price hit. Vampire get great reviews and these plugs shouldn't alter the speaker cable's sound one jott.

Alternatively, some Milty 4mm plugs from someone like Noteworthy Audio would do the trick at just £1.75 each.

Paul. :cool:

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Banana plugs won't affect sound quality as long as you pick a sensible model and terminate it properly. The main benefit (which can't be underestimated!) is convenience in reconnecting your system. :)

5. sploo

sploo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Convenience is certainly the main thing, though a dealer told me that oxidisation of the ends of bare speaker cable can be a problem. He recommended tinning the ends with solder, if you're not using banana plugs.

6. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re-iterate that convenience of banana plugs is the main thing, any degredation of sound is likely to be between minimal and un-noticable if you use a good plug and secure well, but if you want to be extra sure many dealers offer a pressure fit (eg for QED) or will solder plugs on for you. (My dealer does not charge if you purchase cable and plugs). (creative audio Shrewsbury)

7. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Locking banana plugs offer a very secure fit and electrical connection, but are contrary to the convenience of being able to pull the connector to disconnect it from the amp or speaker. The plug has a collar that you twist to expand the banana inside the receiving female connector on your amp and/or speaker. Quality, gold plated, locking banana plugs are about $5.50/pr … or you can spend upwards of $200.00 for each banana. You cannot hear the difference between the two plugs, tho I will swear and be damned if coffee doesn’t tastes its best from my favorite coffee mug.
    :)