Banana Plugs for Onkyo 608

J-a-m-e-s_7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, was just wondering what the best banana plug is i have identified the brand to be Nakamichi but there are different types/Styles which is best and would these fit in my onkyo 608. Many Thanks James

http://www.nakamichiplug.com/

Last edited:
Any 4mm banana plug will fit. Just remove the small inserts from the posts using a small screwdriver or a screw. I wouldn't bother with brand named ones, I use cheapo ebay jobs. I haven't noticed any difference!

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Banana plugs where more of an after thought for me so dont really know much about them. Hopefully order some tonight and can get moving with my bedroom av build.

It's recommended not to use them.

Thanks for your input logiciel is there any particular reason for this? Although im not convinced about sound quality and the benefits, i think it looks more professional, finished and more convienient when moving equipment etc

Some say that you can get better connection by using bare wires, which may well be true. I use banana plugs mainly for convenience as the back of my receiver is difficult to wire up where it is - and would need much longer wires were I to remove it to do the task.

Whatever you use it is good practise to check the wiring for oxidation about once a year, and swivel bananas if used. I'm sure that one reason people hear improvements with fancy wire is that they are replacing heavily oxidized wire with brand new shiny stuff. :)

Thanks for that diablo some sound advice there, will definately take it into consideration. Tbh im doing it mainly for convenience too. Dont suppose you got any top tips for speaker wire which is best etc

Well I'm not the world's biggest expert on speaker cable but I got some Van Damme Blue cable to use with my 608. It seems to be popular with quite a few on this forum.

I'd previously bought a couple of rolls of cheaper cable but found both of them to be poor - high resistance.

I've seen good things written about Profligold cable which has a flatter profile and may be more suitable than the round Van Damme. That particular cable sells in Maplin at £3.49 / metre, so much cheaper online.

Both cables also come in 1.5mm which is cheaper and may well be adequate for shorter lengths than mine (which are upto 13 metres).

:)

Agree with previous posts only use banana plugs if you have a crammed amp with little space. less breaks in the cable the better!

clean cables yearly with maplin contact cleaner or just strip back another bit

Page 5 of the user manual says "In Europe, using banana plugs to connect speakers to an audio
amplifier is prohibited".

Anyone know whether it's a silly legislative thing ?

Last edited:
Page 5 of the user manual says "In Europe, using banana plugs to connect speakers to an audio
amplifier is prohibited".

Anyone know whether it's a silly legislative thing ?

No-one have any ideas why this is the case ?

Believe its because Banana plugs are the right size to fit euro mains plugs. So yes its a silly legislative thing designed to stop you plugging your speaker cables into the mains, of course UK plugs are different

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom