Question Banana plug recommendation for outdoor speakers

Rajibear

Standard Member
Hi Everyone
I have a pair of Polk Audio outdoor speakers and i need to terminate the speaker wire with banana plugs to make it easier to connect the speakers. My questions are

I need a right angled banana plug because the gap at the back of the speaker and wall will not take a normal banana plug fitting.

Are there any special waterproof plugs? Which plug brand is recommended and if there are not special outdoor plugs then can i use self amalgamating tape to tape over the housing of the plug, obviously not the part that goes into the speaker?

Cheers
Raji

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
unless the backs are open to the elements - on a post or something similar, I would not worry about trying to find a waterproof connector. I doubt you will find anything anyway.

Some sealant in the back of the plug will prevent the copper cable oxidising and a smear of grease will protect the 4mm connection itself. Wrap electrical or self amalgamating tape by all means, just be careful not to seal in any moisture.

xmb

Consider using a spade connector or a ferrule crimp rather than adding bulky banana plugs.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Can you give us a link to the Speakers?

I think if you simply search - 90 degree banana plugs - you should find something.

Amazon-UK - Search - 90 degree Banana Plugs

When I look at the Polk Audio Atrium Outdoor speakers in general, the Speaker terminals are angled downward, not straight back. So, perhaps you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Rajibear

Standard Member
Can you give us a link to the Speakers?

I think if you simply search - 90 degree banana plugs - you should find something.

Amazon-UK - Search - 90 degree Banana Plugs

When I look at the Polk Audio Atrium Outdoor speakers in general, the Speaker terminals are angled downward, not straight back. So, perhaps you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard
Hi the speakers i have are the older Atrium 60's and they have the speaker sockets set horizontally and not like the Atrium 5 you have in the picture

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest spade connectors as the require much less space. But if it must be banana plugs: .

Rajibear

Standard Member
unless the backs are open to the elements - on a post or something similar, I would not worry about trying to find a waterproof connector. I doubt you will find anything anyway.

Some sealant in the back of the plug will prevent the copper cable oxidising and a smear of grease will protect the 4mm connection itself. Wrap electrical or self amalgamating tape by all means, just be careful not to seal in any moisture.
Are you saying to put some silicone sealant in the back of the plug, like the silicon around bath tubs. I should pop a squirt in the plug before i put the bare wire into it and screw it down?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Are you saying to put some silicone sealant in the back of the plug, like the silicon around bath tubs. I should pop a squirt in the plug before i put the bare wire into it and screw it down?
No, not quite.
I would actually get solder plugs or crimp spade connections, as these resist the weather better than screwing into stranded cable, which leaves gaps for the weather to get in and corrosion to follow.

Once the joint has been made (and tested), use some silicon to seal around the joint. If you squirt it in first, it will act as an insulator and I doubt any signal would get through at all.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom