Banana and Spade connectors on one cable

Diggler

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if its okay to have a cable fitted with both banana plugs on one end and spade connectors on the other.

Reason being I am looking at purchasing the Mordaunt Short Genie speakers but have noticed a potential problem with my amp connections (Sony STR-DB930) as unsure if spade connectors will fit but I know that banana plugs will.

I hear that banana plugs are not a good idea to connect to the speakers themselves.

Many thanks

No problem in doing it, but why not just use bare ends?

If you do use a termination, use banana. Spade connectors sounds the worst because the electrons have to go through 90° (hello from Eddy currents). Also, if you use banana, take of the metal screws used for bare wires, it will bring better clarity and focus. Once you'll experience the nut effect, having nuts still on will drive you "nuts" every time you hear a system that has them on.

Bananas, spades, BFAs, bare ends - mix and match to your heart's content they're simply ways to connect the cable to the rest of your equipment. The important thing is that you are ABLE to connect them, so make use them as you need! Each has their own advantages and disadvantages - for example some claim that spades are the ideal because of their greater contact area and the fact that they can have a good contact pressure applied...

But at the end of the day, if it won't fit your equipment then its a bit academic! Rest assured there are no "problems" associated with having a mixture of connectors at the two ends of the cable.

Al

Diggler said:
Hi guys,

I was wondering if its okay to have a cable fitted with both banana plugs on one end and spade connectors on the other.
No problem at all as already mentioned.
Diggler said:
I hear that banana plugs are not a good idea to connect to the speakers themselves.
They're good if you move your equipment round a lot. They're also good if you don't. Spades will do just as well here. No point spending a fortune on them either.
Unless you're going to solder the connections I wouldn't use bear wire. Copper wire oxidises when it's in contact with oxygen for a long time and will, over a long period, degrade the sound.

Hi all,

just hijacking this thread for a spade question. Looking to replace the bare cable connections on my setup and hope to use spades to connect cable to my genie speakers. I thought I knew how spades should be connected but unsure now. Looking at 4mm spades, and was told the correct way to connect is to insert spade through the 4mm hole in the terminal before securing with nuthead. I originally thought the spade should span the entire width of the thread before securing. Which way one is correct, or are both ways appropriate?

Thanks

Mike

howesey said:
No problem in doing it, but why not just use bare ends?

If you do use a termination, use banana. Spade connectors sounds the worst because the electrons have to go through 90° (hello from Eddy currents). Also, if you use banana, take of the metal screws used for bare wires, it will bring better clarity and focus. Once you'll experience the nut effect, having nuts still on will drive you "nuts" every time you hear a system that has them on.

Eddy currents? :confused: 90degree bends? Are you sure?

Now, I would never contradict anyone, unless I 100% knew I was correct, But this theory intrigues me!

Please explain... :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom