Ban all horses from our roads

signs

Ex Member
Reaction score
If you live in a town or a city this might not affect you too much this one - but as where I live in the country this winds me up.
Firstly, I was driving down a road the other day, doing about 30mph when I go round a corner and was met by a huge horse and rider in the road who gave me the v's.
I stopped the car and got out and the 'lady' started giving me a right mouthful about slowing down for horses. I've never heard such language from a woman, and I've been around !

So, I call for all horses to be banned from public roads because;
1/ they don't pay any road tax
2/ if a dog craps anywhere the owner has to pick it up by law, if a horse does it they just leave it
3/ they are a major danger to traffic (ask Leslie Crowther's wife)

Rant over :hiya:

I dont think a roads are for a horses. Fair enough police horses but nothing else. :)

signs said:
2/ if a dog craps anywhere the owner has to pick it up by law, if a horse does it they just leave it

1. Neither do cyclists.

2. Neither do humans (sorry, slightly weak argument there! :D ).

3. So are many other road users.

If you are driving sensibly and in accordance with your surroundings (eg. in a country lane, 30mph is probably too fast on a blind corner), horses shouldn't be a problem IMO.

signs I couldn't agree more.

I've no problem with people who want to ride horses through fields, on the beach etc if that's their thing, but I get wound up on occasions when they turn around whilst sat on their horse as I approach in my car and give me that "hey you, slow down to less than walking pace..... I'm on a horse" look!

Yes, get them off the road.

Yes, and whilst were on the subject ban all of the decrepid old horse transports that travel on average between 15-20mph belching out thick diesel smoke all over the place.

I'm sure that the Romans wouldn't have bothered teaching us how to build roads if they knew that we would allow horses to get in the way of the cars

Rabbits, that’s what we should be joining forces to ban from our roads.
At least a horse will move over to the side and give you a bit of room, but not those darn rabbits, no chance, they just sit there daring you to run them over and when you do, splat! They got you, spraying their guts and blood all over your clean car, b******s, I hate them and I have never seen anyone of the hundreds I have run over ever clean themselves up from the road.

:D :D :D

signs said:
If you live in a town or a city this might not affect you too much this one - but as where I live in the country this winds me up.
Firstly, I was driving down a road the other day, doing about 30mph when I go round a corner and was met by a huge horse and rider in the road who gave me the v's.
I stopped the car and got out and the 'lady' started giving me a right mouthful about slowing down for horses. I've never heard such language from a woman, and I've been around !

Rant over :hiya:
Agreed with some of them points the horse riders also have been known to ride over playing areas where children play football etc and leave deep hollows in the soil, which can be dangerous.
They also a you say leave piles of muck behind and never clean up yet dog owners are fined.

Horsemeat is very good to eat. I eat it all the time.If more people did this it would reduce the number on the roads. Treat them like cows I say.
End this racial discrimination.:mad:

Garrett said:
They also a you say leave piles of muck behind.

In my younger days I recall all of the householders rushing out with their spades to grab the manure to spread on their gardens.

Yes, I seem to recall there were fisticuffs in our street as the menfolk would s crap over the much sought after substance.....winner took all .....in the end

and the winner probably had the best roses in his garden :)

We have a pony and loads of pony poo to give away to anyone who wants it.
I strongly disagree with the sentiment of this thread. Your one experience of someone with road rage on a horse is no different than an experience with someone being an equal arse in a car.
If you want to ban horses from roads, you may as well ban Christmas, Bonfire night and all the other fine traditions which make our country what it is.

mcfarfs said:
1. Neither do cyclists.

2. Neither do humans (sorry, slightly weak argument there! :D ).

3. So are many other road users.

If you are driving sensibly and in accordance with your surroundings (eg. in a country lane, 30mph is probably too fast on a blind corner), horses shouldn't be a problem IMO.

YOU are giving advice about driving safely................:rotfl:

Stuart Wright said:
We have a pony and loads of pony poo to give away to anyone who wants it.
I strongly disagree with the sentiment of this thread. Your one experience of someone with road rage on a horse is no different than an experience with someone being an equal arse in a car.
If you want to ban horses from roads, you may as well ban Christmas, Bonfire night and all the other fine traditions which make our country what it is.

I've got to disagree with some of your points - the arse in the car would probably be going above 4mph as is the norm for most horses on the road. Also, I believe that you are a motorcyclists like myself and the only thing i fear more than a volvo is meeting a slow horse on a road.horses and harris exhaust don't mix
cheers
signs
p.s keep horses in fields

I think I'm going to have to agree with Stuart here.

I actually like seeing horses on our roads, it reminds me of easier simpler times...daft I know but thats just me.

I also used to own a horse when I was younger & loved rideing him, shame he was put to work when he got old enough & I couldnt ride him any longer :(

I couldnt picture them not being on the roads.
Ok so they may be a nuiscance for the couple of minutes your behind one before you can get past but surely it's not that bigger deal that they should be banned???

Neil

You should live in Newmarket - horses have the right of way there, and race horses are much more highly strung than the average horse. One impatient driver honked his hooter at a race horse in Newmarket, and the horse promptly did a tap dance all over the bonnet of his car. Then the police did him for driving without due care :)

Horses on roads? All for it. My wife used to ride, and I've always lived in rural or semi-rural areas, where horses on highways are a common and, IMO, welcome sight. Also, dropped horse manure is still less unpleasant than foul exhaust emissions.

Lawrenzini said:
Horses are the work of the devil, if you don't believe me then why do you think are they the four horsemen of the appocolypse, and not just the four men of the appocolypse? ey ey

They should all be made into glue.

There are millions of horses on the planet. Who needs THAT much glue? :D

I love horses and used to own one as a child. And I think they should NOT be allowed on the roads.

I thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom