Ballast weight for non penetrating roof mount - gibertini 125

huk

Novice Member
Hello!!

I am wondering how much weight is necessary to add as ballast for a non penetrating roof mount installation of a gibertini 125, with polar mount and actuator. In London. Assuming the roof receives some average level of wind, in a 3 storey building

I have found some tables online but the parameters of the formulas behind them are a bit hard to find out. Is there anyone who could help me with some more practical advice?

Also, if you know any good roof mount, that would be helpful. Not sure if this one would provide enough support?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I've used those for 90cm satellite broadband dishes and with 4 large slabs they feel rock solid. Mount the dish as low on the pole as you can and they should be totally stable. Put some protection underneath if the roof is wooden, as the point loading will be in excess of 100Kgs / M2 which might cause issues. A sheet of 18mm ply works well for this. If a concrete roof, no issues, just ensure there's no grit or stones trapped underneath that could be pushed through the waterproofing.

huk

Novice Member
Thanks! Just one question: what can we do if the roof is not completely horizontal? We need the pole completely vertical for a good dish alignment. Very often apparently flat roofs have some inclination

REPASSAC

Thanks! Just one question: what can we do if the roof is not completely horizontal? We need the pole completely vertical for a good dish alignment. Very often apparently flat roofs have some inclination
That would be normal just place some thin non degradable material under the roof mount so that it a spirit level shows it is level in all directions.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You would probably need more than window packers, depending upon the amount of slope, but yes, some wedges or something similar will work well.

I seem to remember there's a small amount of adjustment in the pole by slackening off the triangular supports and then nipping them back up once the pole is vertical. It's not a huge amount, but probably enough to cater for the gentle slope for water run off.

REPASSAC

Agree with noiseboy72 - the slope on a flat roof is probably only a few degrees at most. I would look for something thin but wider.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom