Ball games in a residential road

Elrond

I live in a quiet cul-de-sac road which obviously has families with children who are going to play and nearly everyday, they play with either tennis, football or cricket (not a proper cricket ball but still quite hard) balls. The problem is that the road is only just wide enough to fit two past past each other and peoples drives are very open and directly off the road.

If the following link works, it shows how close parked cars are (when they are there in the evenings and at weekends) to the road and it is facing the direction that they hit balls. If it doesn't work, I've attached a screenshot.

Google Maps

Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 20.42.10.png

It is a private road and last year some residents complained about ball games and toys being left out in the road overnight which was dealt with by letters. Now that it is getting warmer again, ball games have started again with cars being hit with balls. There are two 14 plate cars, both less that two months old, and both have been hit by either a cricket ball or football.

As one of the Directors for the management company for the road, I spoke to one of the parents who was nice about it and spoke to her son who was playing cricket. I was on my way out, but when I got back, most of the kids were outside and decided to start coughing when they saw me in an "attention grabbing" way. Maybe I should suggest they go to the doctors about the cough next time :)

Kids will be kids and I have no problem with them playing as it is a very quiet road. However, what are your thoughts on ball games considering the number and how close cars are to the road and the fact that they are not bothered when hitting cars? Last year, they even used hitting cars as a rule when playing cricket that it got you out.

The road is private and so we have a management company but while the communal area's are leasehold, the houses are actually freehold. Last year it was threatened that a rule banning ball games would be introduced but how can it be informed? Has anyone had similar experiences?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Get SBT to move in next door and let him loose on them ;)

Isn't there a field nearby that they could play on instead?

Exemplar

Banned
Two choices. Move or get a grip on reality and chill out. You'd rather kids play inside than risk a stray ball damaging your precious piece of tin? Shallow, very shallow. What's next? Letters for people with a lawn over 1 3/4"?

LeeDicko

Well unlike the above poster, I know exactly where you're coming from as had this a couple of years ago where we live. You're stuck in two minds, on the one hand it's a case of "well they are only kids having fun" but on the other hand, they were hitting our car, tramping over our garden and on more than one occasion the ball was hitting our front door. You just get to the point where you say, why should I put up with this ****?

To be honest, it all got a bit messy here with letters going to the parents of the children (well, more like
teenagers) but it worked, because we haven't had one ball being kicked here since. They take their ball to the park that is 30 seconds down the road.

Exemplar

Banned
#LeeDicko - (lets hope we stay up!) My point is that the OP thinks he lives in the 50's and thinks that he's on an Ealing film set where his version of a Stepford dystopia exists. I'll wager that there are far more cars parked on the street than is in the picture and that, in fact, cars are the danger here not a stray ball.

#OP let's see a normal picture taken when there are cars parked on the paths outside the houses rather than on the drives..

As an example the parking shown below is what David Wilson Homes thinks is accurate on a street round the corner from me (I'll post a real one later)
Capture.JPG
:

chump

So you wake up one morning. One of the wing mirrors on your car is hanging off and there are a couple of ball shaped dents on the bodywork. Do you just shrug and say kids will be kids? Everyone would prefer kids playing outside in the sun but it's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids aren't causing damage to other people's property.

Two choices. Move or get a grip on reality and chill out. You'd rather kids play inside than risk a stray ball damaging your precious piece of tin? Shallow, very shallow. What's next? Letters for people with a lawn over 1 3/4"?

Bit harsh. I worked hard for my "precious bit of tin", now I garage my car as much as I can but sometimes it is left out overnight. Maybe I get home and then decide to have a beer and it is left out in the street because obviously I cant drive round to the garage ??, doesnt happen often but I should be able to leave it there without it being damaged. Is it really too much to ask that those kids playing in the street show a bit of respect for my property ??

LeeDicko

but it's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids aren't causing damage to other people's property

Agree totally... and from my
experience, the kids NEVER play directly outside their house, always down the street a bit. Wonder why?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Whatever happened about teaching kids responsibility?
'Go out & play with your friends, but please be responsible' that's the message that my mum instilled in me as a kid.
Your message to kids now seems to be 'Go out & play with your friends, *censored* anyone else'.

:facepalm:

Exemplar

Banned
So you wake up one morning. One of the wing mirrors on your car is hanging off and there are a couple of ball shaped dents on the bodywork. Do you just shrug and say kids will be kids? Everyone would prefer kids playing outside in the sun but it's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids aren't causing damage to other people's property.

Yes I would shrug it off, sorry if that offends you but I would not care, not one bit. I'd phone my insurance company where we have protected no-claims and zero excess.

chump

Kids always playing outside mine. Absolutely no problem with them doing so. Even the noise they make or the constant bouncing of footballs is cool with me. However I've had to have a word a couple of times when one genius decided to throw stones at a neighbours car or kicking ball as high as they can in the air only for it to land on the roof of the car.

Exemplar

Banned
Whatever happened about teaching kids responsibility?
'Go out & play with your friends, but please be responsible' that's the message that my mum instilled in me as a kid.
Your message to kids now seems to be 'Go out & play with your friends, *censored* anyone else'.

:facepalm:

No it doesn't, you are making bad assumptions. My kids actually have very high morals, do yours?. If they damaged something I would expect them to apologise and, as a responsible parent, I would deal with it whether through our insurance or otherwise. Please don't make trite assumptions about others.:facepalm:

chump

Yes I would shrug it off, sorry if that offends you but I would not care, not one bit. I'd phone my insurance company where we have protected no-claims and zero excess.
It doesn't offend me. That's your choice. I wouldn't just allow it to happen. You may be able to deal with it but there could be an old person living a few houses down who maybe couldn't deal with it. At the very least if it did happen to you I'd have thought you'd have a word with the kids parents to stop it happening again?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
No it doesn't, you are making bad assumptions. My kids actually have very high morals, do yours?. If they damaged something I would expect them to apologise and, as a responsible parent, I would deal with it whether through our insurance or otherwise. Please don't make trite assumptions about others.:facepalm:
Wouldn't it be better to teach them respect other people's property & not to damage property in the first place?

You in 10-15 years: Why aren't you more careful when you drive? You keep hitting other cars every day (low speed/parking etc- not one that causes injury).
Son/daughter: Oh it's ok, you're insured!
You: Teens will be teens.

Is that how that situation is going to play out?

Last edited:

hippo99

Distinguished Member
If you didn't have protected no-claims & zero excess, would you be equally as happy to shrug it off? What if you had broken wing mirrors & broken windows every week (again without protected no-claims & zero excess scenario)?
Still happy to shrug it off?

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Protected no claims and zero excess are no defence against increased premiums after you make a claim.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Sometimes playing Balls games is not about the Cars and property, My daughter fell and had to have stitches in her face about 6 years ago. after a few days I took her out to get an Ice cream from the Van...Only for her to have a full size leather football pelted in her face....I almost got arrested that day :mad:

Koeman2021

Banned
I grew up on a similar street to that and we used to play football and cricket on the road as it was convinient. There was a park approx 1/2 a mile away so could have gone there really.

We hand on heart honestly tried to avoid upsetting anyone by going on their gardens or hitting their cars, but lets face it when we were in a giddy mood the ones that got it were the ones who used to make the most fuss about us playing there. We used to thrive off the fuss.

It ended up with the police coming on occasion which just made it more thrilling for a young lad. There was nothing they could do anyway really.

Anyway, whereas I might have been a cheeky one I've never been in bother with the police and led and very good youth.

Don't stop them playing, it'll make it worse is the moral of this story.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Sorry I don't believe anyone where they post oh I'd just shrug it off.
Not for 1 second (unless you have a really busted up old van)

So you have saved and worked hard for 4 years and pay, let's say £10,000 for a reasonably nice 2nd hand car, 2 or 3 years old.

BANG BANG two dents, one on the drivers door, one on the bonnet.

Shrugs it off, calls insurance, car gets taken away to the body shop for 10 days, this claim goes on your record.
2 weeks later. BANG, wing mirror, oh those naughty rascals. Phone insurance again, another claim, can into the garage just for a day to get new mirror fitted.

Back outside your house. 3 weeks later. Broken lamp cluster and dent to one side from smaller hard ball.
oh the little imps. Phone up insurance a 3rd time (boy is this going to bump your premium up)

Car away at garage for new lamp cluster and minor dent repair and blend in respray.

I simply do not believe you one instant that you, or pretty much anyone would be happy with that scenario.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers