Bales - whats wrong with this photo?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Autopilot, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    Afternoon peeps. Playing around with CS3 today for the first time (not used PS for many years). Took a shot from my front garden (im completely surrounded by this landscape :D) the other night in RAW but could not balance the sky, background and foreground, so i followed a tutorial for combining different exposures.

I'm not 100% happy with it, and its my first go, but can people point out where they think i have gone wrong (and where it's working)...

Attached Files:

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    No expert here :p but maybe sharpen it a little, the trees look slightly soft.

3. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    It looks a little washed out and a little out of focus, but I understand your problem as I posted a issue recently regarding one of my images. Same issue, sky blown out and lacking focus. So I will be watching this thread for advice also.

What you are trying is very hard if you have poor lighting. I would focus on the bales and just see what happens after that. Looks like your getting the hang of the alpha. ;)

4. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    Yes, i think it's simply focus :) Sometimes you cant see the wood for the tree - i was probably over complicating things in my head, when is just basic focus. Also, the composition is all wrong really, but fixable with cropping i guess.

Also, the more i play, the more noise creeps in. I'm wondering if this is partly down to using ISO 400?

5. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I think thats your issue, your adding more rather than keeping it simple. But you have a good base to work on. What do the 3 images look like ? Any noise in them ?

6. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    I think it looks quite nice actually!

There are a couple of issues. Firstly their is a halo around where the ground meets the sky causing a lighter sky than the rest where it meets the land. I don't know what method you used so without you telling me can't help but it is a common problem.

Secondly the ground part of the image looks a little overexposed - not much mind, just a tad.

It could also do with a bit of an increase in contrast. The lack of sharpness may just be down to the resizing - try a bit of unsharp mask.

7. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    Yeah, bit of a brutal first attempt actually. It was 2 versions of the same RAW, which where adjust one for sky and one for foreground then saved as PSD. I just used a gradient and mask to blend them together - i will try using the selection tools and feathering next time.

Once the 2 were blended together, i used a selection tool and mask to selectively adjust to Hue of the background trees to make them more green and lighter, as the seemed a bit dull and orange tinted.

I did over expose the ground, but i like that slightly over exposed and hot summers afternoon feel to a shot - however in this case i agree its to much and does not match the sky well enough.

As for contrast, i did as much as i could i thought (i like to use curves for this mostly). I tried sharpening, but it just got too noisy even with the slightest adjustment - but that's probably down to my skills and control over PS.

8. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I like this too. Nice colours. Although, the more I look at it the more I see a few inconsistencies:

a) Alleymac has aslready mentioned the halos.

b) The tones in the sky appear warmer than those at ground level. The background field in particular might be expected to reflect warmer light from the sky as presented.

c) Highlights on the tops of the bales indicate very bright direct overhead light but the sky suggests otherwise.

Hope this helps - I struggle to spot stuff like this in my shots till someone else points it out :rolleyes:

9. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    quite like the pic, the only things i'd say is you've got a few dust spots top right which need cloned out and the picture isn't really sharp and a bit noisey. other than that you've done well